FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Vacationing in S. Dakota  (Read 5712 times)

Wisc.whitetailer

Vacationing in S. Dakota
« on: Apr 28, 2007, 11:46 AM »
 You guys actually have water out there ? Ithought all there was in S. Dakota was buffalo and prairie dogs.
  The wife and I  are coming your way in June is there anything a sportsman should watch for on his travels through?
 I was thinking about bringing a rifle and trying this prairie dog thing that I hear so much about. where would be a good area to go for that?
Go pack!!!!!

Waubay Fisher

Re: Vacationing in S. Dakota
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2007, 07:07 PM »
Yep, in addition to water we have dirt roads, horse-drawn buggies, and some places even have electricity in homes!!!  ;D 

All kidding aside...

If you're looking for prairie dogs you're going to need to head west, at least the middle of the state or farther I'm guessing.  I'm not sure, but I know there are none close to the East side of the state, that I am aware of.

A lot of good lakes all over in SD, some good ones in the SE part of the state, and a lot of fine fisheries in the NE part of the state as well.  The Black Hills is an excellent vacation area with many attractions and tourist arenas. 

I'd start looking through http://www.travelsd.com/.  The Things to Do has a Fishing and Hunting site that should key you in on some sportsman stuff. 

Enjoy your trip!

Wisc.whitetailer

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 07:50 PM »
 Thanks,
 we're looking at the S. West corner of the state.
Go pack!!!!!

Ice Dawg

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 04:18 PM »
Thanks,
 we're looking at the S. West corner of the state.

That would give you the beautiful Black Hills, land downers that would love to have you blast a few thousand P Dogs and some good fishing in the area too. If you are camping, don't miss spending a night  in the Badlands or at least stay in a motel somewhere close and drive through them on the way to the hills. It's a really beautiful drive.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Wisc.whitetailer

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 09:59 PM »
I'm told if I plan on staying in a tent to bring a cot or I'll get chewed up by jiggers. we don't have jiggers here so what can you tell me? whats the wheather going to be like in the area the end of June?
Go pack!!!!!

Ice Dawg

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 12:20 PM »
It depends on where you are at the end of June. Up in the Black Hills it will be warm or hot days and cool nights. The flies can be pesky and I don't think there are many mosquitos in the hills. I have lived in SD since 1951 and have never been bothered by Chiggers, but I know people that have . Have something that will get rid of an itch like Calomine (sp) lotion. I think you can buy stuff in a drug store to keep them away also. It can be hot at lower elevations when shooting Prairie Dogs during this time of year also. Possibly low 100s. Have fun while here.

msmith1956

« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2011, 09:00 PM »
Don't forget to check out northeast Wyoming- Devils Tower- Keyhole Reservoir

Ice Dawg

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2011, 09:59 AM »
Don't forget to check out northeast Wyoming- Devils Tower- Keyhole Reservoir
I think you're about four years late with yer post. I would like to have heard how he liked the trip though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.