FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Superlines  (Read 7726 times)

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Re: Superlines
« Reply #30 on: Jun 29, 2006, 08:26 PM »
I have used a single wrap of hockey stick tape around the barrel of my spool to prevent slipage with great success. Once you put the tape on the spool, you just leave it there forever, you never have to mess with it again. The superline really bites into the tape, it really works good.

Left Handed Model

• I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..
« Reply #31 on: Jun 29, 2006, 08:31 PM »
Do you ever have problems when the Tape gets wet or do you ever notice the adhesive on the line?
Mike aka: Lefty, the Yellow Pole Guy..GO TEAM MAINE!!
"Do unto others, as you would have done to you"

fishboy

« Reply #32 on: Jun 29, 2006, 08:52 PM »
Good thread!  Slipbob's advise is right on! I have been using braid for jiggin eyes for several years and have had all the things he talks about happen.  Everybody on here seems to really like the firelines but I have been using the stren superbraid with great results and its a little cheaper.   By the way I took some braided line on my tuna trip last year and the mates expressed their dislike of it every chance they got.  They said it was very dagerous to work with when the fish are 50lbs or more as a hard run would easily burn right through a glove.

Again good thread

T
Swim with the fishes
live with the fishes
act like the fishes
smell like the fishes!

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #33 on: Jun 29, 2006, 09:12 PM »
Do you ever have problems when the Tape gets wet or do you ever notice the adhesive on the line?

Hockey stick tape stays sticky when its wet, and I have never had more than the first wrap of line get sticky. How often do you get down to that last wrap of line?

Left Handed Model

• I know it's backwards, I'm Left Handed..
« Reply #34 on: Jun 29, 2006, 09:14 PM »
On a windy day with my 25,  quite a bit,  Power Pro and 4 oz of weight can fly.....
Mike aka: Lefty, the Yellow Pole Guy..GO TEAM MAINE!!
"Do unto others, as you would have done to you"

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #35 on: Jun 30, 2006, 12:52 AM »
This is a really good thread!  I have had so many questions about the incredible amount of choices of line.  Thanks for passing on your experience....esp. to slipbob (eventhough you don't like bass, white perch, or drum  ;))

A few years ago, after reading about braided lines, I picked up a spool of "braided line".  Couldn't tell you what it is.  It's flat and green/white in color and is limp as sewing thread.  When cut, it frays like string.  Never really liked it and that was it for braided lines for me. It is still spooled up on an extra spool in the tackle box.

You guys got me interested enough to try again.

zelmo

« Reply #36 on: Jun 30, 2006, 07:21 AM »
Everybody on here seems to really like the firelines but I have been using the stren superbraid with great results and its a little cheaper.   

Berkley has a $5 rebate on purchases over $10 this summer.  Fireline at $12.99 less $5 is hard to beat.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/fantasy_fishing.php

FishFury

« Reply #37 on: Jun 30, 2006, 07:24 AM »
Superlines Are great for Bottom fishing in the Salt ( Seabass, toggies, and cod) but I see little purpose for them other than that, I religiously use Suffix line and that works just as well, best way to break "superlines" is with a wooden dowel

Niffken

• Tournament Plastic Baits Niffken.com
« Reply #38 on: Jun 30, 2006, 10:28 AM »
I only use power pro for bottom fishing saltwater.  I like it for fluking deep water (4 lb power pro).  Lets me get my jig down and hold the bottom.  I use 20 lb floro for my frog/heavy cover stuff and for the rest I am 10-14 lb floro.  I do have some trilene xl  4&6 on my ultra light spinner.
Some People are like slinkies... they are not really good for anything, but... they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Pikeguy

« Reply #39 on: Jun 30, 2006, 10:47 AM »

aquaman

• I,ll be home before dark. ( yeah right)
« Reply #40 on: Jun 30, 2006, 11:42 AM »
yeah sure, braids improve senitivity,and hook seting in jig fishing and trolling especially for yellow pike but I troll for smallies as well and have to swich back to mono for the strech The aggresive strike and initial first run either tears a hole in the mouth or rips out,even with reduced drag.If I run braids on bass trolling I lose half of all fish.Shame too cause i can get down to 28 feet with a bare minimum of line out at 2.5 with cranks where it takes a whole spool and 3mph + with mono.
I remember EVERY TIME I fished or hunted. The REST of the time I...uh...um..... musta been doing something else that didnt matter.

pinche

• Amen
« Reply #41 on: Jun 30, 2006, 03:23 PM »
hey one last question when using a leader of mono on a super line do you retie when changing lures or use a snap?
Rockbassin everyone is doing it !!

Proud member of M.I.R.C. since 2006

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.