FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: "Walking the Dog"  (Read 2822 times)

TroutFishingBear

"Walking the Dog"
« on: May 13, 2005, 05:06 PM »
Not to sound dumb or anything, but how do you "walk the dog" with a zara spook? I always see people saying...walk the dog, learn how to walk the dog, etc, but nobody says how to walk the dog. This thread will be dedicated to that. I don't know if I can get any clearer (I like to ramble), but how do you walk the dog?

;D
Thanks for any help...this is just a foreign subject to me as most of my topwater success has come with poppers. Please don't hijack this thread with jokes about the name or anything like that. Thanks.

icebraker

• People who work don't know how to fish!!
Re: "Walking the Dog"
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 05:08 PM »
Interesting subjetc. I have had people tell me that to but never actually figured out how to do it.

Good question!!
People who work don't know how to fish!!

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 05:28 PM »
jerk the bait in with two to three inch jerks, while there is some slack in the line, the lure should cut to the left, then the right, and so on...get a cadence down and it becomes second nature.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 05:45 PM »
jerk the bait in with two to three inch jerks, while there is some slack in the line, the lure should cut to the left, then the right, and so on...get a cadence down and it becomes second nature.
Exactly. ;) I like to keep the rod tip down near the water when I do it, but that's just me. kinda odd how its glides off to either side.

devil-man

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 05:53 PM »
The key is the slack you create while pulling the bait with your rod tip. I find it helps to move your tip back and forth slightly. It's a rhythm and you have to get the feel for it.
There are other baits you can use this technique with, too. Not just the Spook.

Try it and practice, you will know when you've got it down. It's deadly! 8)

Hood

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 07:20 PM »
I like to pause it once in a whille, ive had a lot of bass follow it and follow it then pause the lure and they nail it.  Its the only topwater bait I use aside from the occasional buzzer......And they cast a mile  :)
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 08:19 AM »
Sorry just a little more clarification, are you jerking on retrival? or do you jerk, then reel?

bigredfishing

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 03:24 PM »
with slack in the line, give it a jerk, and then take up only enough line that it still leaves some slack...

this gives some info http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/topwater_2.html

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 08:40 PM »
Alright thanks for the help everyone! I'm gonna use some for pike next weekend, they do work for pike right?

bigredfishing

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 08:41 PM »
pike...walking the dog??  the answer is a big YES!! :thumbup_smilie:

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 08:43 PM »
Oh man...this sounds like my dream topwater for the lake I'm gonna be fishing! it has pike and bass ;D

bigredfishing

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 08:46 PM »
just make sure you have extra spooks (or whatever your walking the dog with) , as pike will take them headfirst sometimes, and a steel leader completely ruins the action.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2005, 08:50 PM »
just make sure you have extra spooks (or whatever your walking the dog with) , as pike will take them headfirst sometimes, and a steel leader completely ruins the action.
Yeah, that's kinda important... :P
Walking the dog is perfect for calling bass up from fairly deep water too, up to about 20 feet. I like the action of the Bagley's Rattlin Twitcher alot too, they're good baits if the water is kinda rough because they have a little bit of chugger built into them. Great baits. :)

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2005, 08:53 PM »
Oh man I'm gonna really have to bust out the wallet! :'( :D I just have to hang on until summer when I can make some money.LOL.

devil-man

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2005, 11:27 AM »
pike...walking the dog??  the answer is a big YES!!

If you can "Walk the dog" you will slay the pike. I will second BigRed's YES!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.