FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Eelpout  (Read 26827 times)

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
Eelpout
« on: Jan 23, 2004, 07:22 PM »
HI guys,

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! :P

Mike

fastribs85

Re: Eelpout
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2004, 04:22 PM »
never heard of these fish what do they look like
naked women and beer we got it all in here

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2004, 05:09 PM »
Go to Iceshanty.com and look in the Pictures section,  FishermanJake is a fanatic!!

Cider

« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2004, 03:33 PM »
Anybody catchin' cusk in the open water/warmer season??

loveice

« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2004, 03:48 PM »
Yup get them in may and july

Cider

« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2004, 04:02 PM »
Yup get them in may and july

Really!?!?  I am not doubting you a bit.  Just astonished.  I understand that they need to eat continuously throughout the year, but you don't hear much about people getting them during those months.

Do you catch a lot of them?  Target them specifically?  What method are you using?  Jigging? Bait fishing on the bottom with a bobber or sinkers?

CAMOTIM

« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2004, 04:34 PM »
Burbot or Eelpout run thru the Lake Erie channel that separates the lake from the bay in Erie, PA. They usually run from Nov to Feb. I've caught them on crappie rigs using big or several shiners. Last 2 I caught were 32-35". They fillet like a cat fish and are great eating-better then walleye, essentially a fresh water cod. I understand they dwell in the deep depths during the spring/summer/fall, then spawn in early to mid winter. They usually bite when the water is mirkey or stirred up; we usually get hits when large ships move thru the channel. When you catch one, hange on, they usually dive to the bottom and give a terrific fight!

Cider

« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2004, 11:56 PM »
Actually, around here (NH) cusk spawn late winter.  Mid to late February and early March.  We get them on set lines through the ice.  Not much action in openwater.  Surprises me to hear that people do.

I think fishermanjake catches them in the fall though...

kingfshr16

« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2004, 04:19 PM »
I've caught some open water fishing on accident, fishing at night off piers and such...ugggggggly looking fish, but they fought good.

Germ

• Always Planning the Next fishing Adventure...
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2004, 07:54 AM »
FOr summertime Fishing you really need to Target them to get into them..Just stick to the Deeper parts of the lakes...ANd mostly the reason you don't hear many guys catching them is that there isn't much else to catch besides them during that time of the day (Night TIme) which is the best time to Catch em at...I've tried fishermans jakes Way of a glow soft body assortment tipped with NAtrual bait that smells ..Works great...And i'll be targeting them more this Summer...Canoe and a  bobber done just enough to keep them about 1-2 inches from the bottom in Deep waters! TIght lines and good luck and i think this Thread will be good as i love to fish for them....ANd love to eat them even more! Tight lines!
Please Don't be offended by Germ and his Replys ..If any comments bother you please feel free to Send me a message Thru private mail and Ill   modify anything that Seems to upset ya. Tight Lines all!

grumpymoe

« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2004, 10:34 AM »
burbot prefer cooler waters much like lake trout, but can be caught year-round on lake manitoba, lake winnipeg and other spots as well. numerous anglers still consider them garbage fish, but it is slowly catching on not only as a good eating, but a good scapping one as well. currently no limit on these fish in manitoba...but just like channel cats a number of years back; once it caught on, they went to limits, and finally slot limits to keep the fishery healthy..grump

Germ

• Always Planning the Next fishing Adventure...
« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2004, 01:41 PM »
burbot prefer cooler waters much like lake trout, but can be caught year-round on lake manitoba, lake winnipeg and other spots as well. numerous anglers still consider them garbage fish, but it is slowly catching on not only as a good eating, but a good scapping one as well. currently no limit on these fish in manitoba...but just like channel cats a number of years back; once it caught on, they went to limits, and finally slot limits to keep the fishery healthy..grump
Please Don't be offended by Germ and his Replys ..If any comments bother you please feel free to Send me a message Thru private mail and Ill   modify anything that Seems to upset ya. Tight Lines all!

zuke852000

« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2004, 02:03 PM »
I have caught them many times in rivers during the summer.
ZUKE

Jigwiggler

« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2004, 01:03 PM »
When you say they go to deeper water during the summer, how deep?  What I mean is how deep of water will these fish inhabit during the warmer months?  50',150' or deeper?
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

buzzbomb

« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2004, 10:02 AM »
How deep have you got?  The only times I've caught them in the summer, it's been off steep points on the deepest part of my lake (100').  They must have come up to corral bait against the point.  Also once late in the fall on flats adjacent to the deep end.  I suppose Jake and others at northerly latitudes will catch them year round.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.