FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Tautog fishing...  (Read 4359 times)

Rob F.

• Quit Wishin, Go Fishing!!!
Tautog fishing...
« on: Oct 08, 2012, 07:37 PM »
Made a trip down to R.I. with my son Josh to try our luck with Tautog and black sea bass. One of my buddies aka Lavaman introduced this fish to me last year. What a blast! These fish love to dig when they get hooked. They want to go back into the rocks and of course, break off. Crazy strength for these sized fish. But the best part is they make a great table fare. They eat a lot of crab and lobster so their meat tastes simular. Absolutely delicious.

Fished these guys in 20 feet over the rocks using crabs cut in half on a heavy j-hook.  We fished for a couple of hours and landed 20 of these bad boyz...

Any one else on here ever fish for these?

Again, thanks to Lavaman for sharing  ;D

Josh with the first one in the boat

Holding a 4.5 lb bull

Great way to end the day with two 5+ pounders.

Video of Josh catching his lunker while wearing the sunglass-video cam.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
Re: Tautog fishing...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2012, 05:19 AM »
Between the Albies & the Tautog, you had quite a week end.  :D
I think you matched the gear well to the fish. Love seeing those rods bent way over.
Love the pic of Josh.

The Reel Deal

• Early Worm Gets The Lunker
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2012, 09:21 AM »
Nice fish, that looks like it was a blast! Love the light tackle. I may be wrong but I think Tautog and Black Sea Bass are 2 different fish. I have caught them both but they are great eating! Check out some pics online on google images!

Oddfish

« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2012, 10:27 AM »
They are awsome eating and fighting fish.  I don't fish for them too often, but weel worth the effort.  They are up in this area too, but not in large numbers.  They frequently fint their way into lobster traps in May.  Nothing quite like a fresh angry fish with large teeth in your traps.  Way to go on the catch!

Oddfish

Rob F.

« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2012, 12:05 PM »
Nice fish, that looks like it was a blast! Love the light tackle. I may be wrong but I think Tautog and Black Sea Bass are 2 different fish. I have caught them both but they are great eating! Check out some pics online on google images!
You are right, they are two seperate fish. We actually went down to fish for both. We caught both but the Sea Bass were too small to keep.

Seahunt, you are right there, it was a great weekend.. And got some steamers too  ;)

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2012, 05:27 PM »
Very nice!

lavaman

« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2012, 05:03 AM »
well done rob. glad u had a great time. i love catchin togs. heres a pic of a 7 and 6 lber we got last sat.

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2012, 07:06 AM »
Good job Rob. Your son Josh probably had a blast and will remeber it forever. They are a fun fish to catch and like you said they are very good eating. Lavaman those are some good ones. A few picture from last year when I went out with a friend of mine Captain Tommy Tautog (gave him this name because he loves fishing for them). Three of us caught quite a few. Should be heading down in a few weeks. I believe that they are also called blackfish.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2012, 07:42 AM »
A friend of mine who lives on the Chesapeake Bay in VA sent me this article this spring.

http://mrc.virginia.gov/vswft/State_Records/state-record-Tautog_03-25-12.shtm    :o

Rob F.

« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2012, 12:30 PM »
I believe that they are also called blackfish.

That's the AKA I was trying to remember.. Thx!!

Seahunt: Thanks for sharing that link! That thing is a true Monster.. I dont think my setups would have been able to land that..ugh..

Supposed to do an offshore trip in the SeaOx this weekend but if it doesnt look good (wave wise).. might do another return trip for Tog!

Mikey

« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2012, 05:45 PM »
Nice job Rob. I love the salt reports and picks.

lavaman

« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2012, 09:36 AM »
rob give me a call if ya come down this w/e. btw i love the video. it really shows the power they have for the size of the fish they are. definitely the bulldogs of the sea.

deerhunter

« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2012, 01:41 PM »
hey thats my 20 ft hole. :D nice looking tog.

GraniteBass

« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2012, 05:49 AM »
Great video, conragts to Josh!

Dana

« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2012, 06:26 AM »
Nice Fish Guys!  :o
Glenn, get the net!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com