FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2018 NYC DEP Reservoir Reports  (Read 13133 times)

lowaccord66

Re: 2018 NYC DEP Reservoir Reports
« Reply #30 on: Aug 09, 2018, 01:13 PM »
Nice fish Gino!

Gino@Rondout

« Reply #31 on: Aug 17, 2018, 10:37 AM »
Trolled Ashokan 6-9:30am with 7-7.5 colors. Relatively slow today, only got a 14" smallmouth on the Stingers, then switched to jointed Yo-Zuris. Haven't fished crankbaits much and couldn't land any, lost 2 nice smallmouth near the boat, another near the boat that felt like a smallie, and a few other hits.

taxid

« Reply #32 on: Aug 17, 2018, 01:01 PM »
Is it possible the trout have gone deeper than the smallmouth, hence only smallmouth?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

zwiggles

« Reply #33 on: Aug 17, 2018, 01:10 PM »
Is it possible the trout have gone deeper than the smallmouth, hence only smallmouth?

That was the best piece of advice I have gotten for trolling for cold water fish. If your catching smallmouth keep going down for the trout.

Gino@Rondout

« Reply #34 on: Aug 18, 2018, 01:57 PM »
At Ashokan the trout and smallmouth tend to always be caught at similar depths this time of year. Trolled up 3 smallmouth and a small brown + another small brown lost near the boat. A few missed hits. 30-40 ft down.

taxid

« Reply #35 on: Aug 18, 2018, 03:18 PM »
At Ashokan the trout and smallmouth tend to always be caught at similar depths this time of year. Trolled up 3 smallmouth and a small brown + another small brown lost near the boat. A few missed hits. 30-40 ft down.

I have noticed browns in some lakes will be, but not alway, higher in the water column than the other species of trout.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Gino@Rondout

« Reply #36 on: Aug 22, 2018, 10:44 AM »
Trolled Sunday evening for a few hours with no luck except a lost smallmouth. The water level in the lower basin has gone up about 2-3 feet and I am seeing moored boats in the water at e17. Water level is above full capacity.

taxid

« Reply #37 on: Aug 22, 2018, 10:47 PM »
Getting a lot of rain out there too eh?

Gino@Rondout

« Reply #38 on: Aug 23, 2018, 10:00 AM »
We had about a week where it rained every day quite heavy in the evening, streams have been high but finally coming down.We definitely didn't get as much rain as other parts of the state though.

Trolled out of Samsonville Cove this morning, 2 downriggers & 2 jet divers. Not a bite.

taxid

« Reply #39 on: Aug 23, 2018, 01:27 PM »
We had about a week where it rained every day quite heavy in the evening, streams have been high but finally coming down.We definitely didn't get as much rain as other parts of the state though.

Trolled out of Samsonville Cove this morning, 2 downriggers & 2 jet divers. Not a bite.

What do you think's going on? Perhaps they moved to a different part of the reservoir?

In smaller lakes I've had it where I end up zip for suspended fish and end up finding them right on the bottom. Is that a possibility? And I've see the reverse of that. I've fished one trout lake where the browns are suspended and the bows are on the bottom.

Gino@Rondout

« Reply #40 on: Aug 23, 2018, 04:09 PM »
I think the browns are going into their pre-spawn fasting period and striking primarily out of aggression at this point. That would explain how guys I know are fishing all day with sawbellies and not getting a hit but trollers are still getting some here and there , albeit not anything near the action throughout May-July. As far as rainbows, there definitely aren't the numbers in Ashokan that there used to be. Not enough to specifically target them in my opinion. On the other hand, there are also some reservoir fisherman having a fantastic August but I don't know how they're fishing lol. I'm sure there's some secret techniques out there that would still get them consistently.

taxid

« Reply #41 on: Aug 23, 2018, 05:19 PM »
As someone that raises brown trout among other trout species it seems awfully early for browns to get into a spawning or even pre spawn mode. Maybe different in the reservoir vs. my rearing pond?

If it was me I'd fish the same depth they were suspended, but close to the bottom at that same depth. With fishing so slow what have you got to lose?

Ever troll a cowbell or Christmas tree rig with a bell sinker added to the keel a length of line suspending it that you want it off the bottom? I would go with about 12 inches. And a shiner sewn on a 3 foot leader is a plus. For some reason the real deal gets more strikes than artificials.

OTOH I've see where fish don't want to strike artificial and a minnow sewn behind a size 0 dodger or flasher gets hits. I remember once trolling half a day with nothing on an spoon behind a downrigger. Put on the above and bam!

CHEZ2

« Reply #42 on: Aug 24, 2018, 10:13 AM »
I agree,early for browns to get in spawn mode but,all this rain has everything messed up.water temps must be lower than normal.

taxid

« Reply #43 on: Aug 26, 2018, 08:50 AM »
Gino@Roundout,

Keep up the reports. I really enjoy them. I hope you know how blessed you are to have this NYC reservoirs to fish for big trout and smallmouth bass. I've given up on my state as they just want to take the easy way and and cater to the put and take anglers. No coldwater forage anymore and mostly rainbows that never reach trophy size.

Gino@Rondout

« Reply #44 on: Aug 27, 2018, 08:30 AM »
Thanks taxid, yes the NYC Reservoirs really are fantastic fisheries. Trolled Rondout on Friday with my dad for a few hours 7-10 colors with one yellow perch, and 4 smallmouth near shore on senkos. Went smallmouth fishing on Ashokan on Saturday and we caught 5. Trolled Rondout with a friend yesterday 70-95 ft down, 4 lakers (one barely legal rest shorts) and one smallmouth.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.