FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lithium 100 ah battery  (Read 15986 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: Lithium 100 ah battery
« Reply #30 on: Mar 26, 2021, 08:57 AM »
You coulda stopped by and said hi

Lol

Mine shipped 2 weeks ago
Will be another2-4 weeks yet before it shows up.
The 3 chargers showed a week or so back but they were air freight and a typical commodity.  So no customs hang ups.
The battery however comes via ship and because of the technology it spends a little time in customs.
I’m stoked!!!
200ah
Gideeup

You're right, I shoulda poked my head in. SHAME!

You say 3 chargers but isn't the battery a single 36v, 200ah lithium battery? Or did you get 3 12v, 200ah batts? And are the batteries the same size as group 31 batts? DETAILS MAN!!!

Mac Attack

« Reply #31 on: Mar 26, 2021, 10:03 AM »
You're right, I shoulda poked my head in. SHAME!

You say 3 chargers but isn't the battery a single 36v, 200ah lithium battery? Or did you get 3 12v, 200ah batts? And are the batteries the same size as group 31 batts? DETAILS MAN!!!

It’s all in the boat thread but ok
I bought a single 36VDC, 200ah battery
(Lead acid 31’s are about 100ah)
So I have 2X the capacity of a 31
BUT, the voltage stays constant till about 3-5% (vs lead acid where the voltage drops off at like 60%).
I bought two 8amp chargers, one for up here and one for Florida.  I’m going to take the battery with me every year for my other boat down there.  This is how I helped to justify the large cost.
I also bought a 30amp charger for when I need a quicker charge.  Trips where I’m fishing a lot.  Or occasionally when I go back out later in the day out at the lake.  However, they goofed and sent me a 20amp and so I’m getting a refund for the difference ($80).

Jethro

« Reply #32 on: Mar 26, 2021, 10:49 AM »
I'm interested in what you get for run time. I get some pretty serious run time with my Interstates so with the lithiums it ought to be insane.

Are these chargers mounted on board?

Mac Attack

« Reply #33 on: Mar 26, 2021, 01:56 PM »
I'm interested in what you get for run time. I get some pretty serious run time with my Interstates so with the lithiums it ought to be insane.

Are these chargers mounted on board?

I could mount them on board.
They aren't waterproof by any means.
Wait.
I'll post a photo of one of the 8a units

Mac Attack

« Reply #34 on: Mar 26, 2021, 01:58 PM »
Outlet wire to battery

120 inlet side of unit

Mac Attack

« Reply #35 on: Mar 26, 2021, 01:59 PM »
I'm putting them in my cuddy where it's dry.

lowaccord66

« Reply #36 on: Apr 11, 2021, 12:54 PM »
I was going to go this route but can't drain the 3 arm's I have even though they are group 24's. 

I dont get your plan Mac...charger for quicker charges when you fish a lot?  200ah is a lot of juice.. you really think you are going to run that down fast?

Keep in mind some days I'm spot locked 10 hrs and even I can't kill 3 small arms. 

Jethro

« Reply #37 on: Apr 11, 2021, 03:18 PM »
I was going to go this route but can't drain the 3 arm's I have even though they are group 24's. 

I dont get your plan Mac...charger for quicker charges when you fish a lot?  200ah is a lot of juice.. you really think you are going to run that down fast?

Keep in mind some days I'm spot locked 10 hrs and even I can't kill 3 small arms.

Yesterday I trolled the big lake in NH from 6:30am to 5:30pm using my Ulterra to autopilot with my kicker almost non-stop and at 5:30 I was nervous there wasn't enough juice to stow. I have 3 group 31's, only 100ah or so. It was sketchy but she stowed! My boat is pretty big, Macs is considerably bigger. If I was replacing these batteries I'd be looking the same route myself, I'd like that kinda power to go multiple days. 200ah in a single 36v battery? I'd need 450lbs of battery to match that.

As a sidenote, don't mean to threadjack, finally got to use the Minn Kota/Humminbird "Follow the contour" mode for staying in 25 feet of water, what a gamechager for early ice out fishing. Wish Lakemaster would add more lakes in Maine.

Mac Attack

« Reply #38 on: Apr 12, 2021, 07:18 AM »

I used to burn up my 31's in about 6-7 hrs of trolling on my Lund.
They were 100ah.
So I added a pair of 24's to them in parallel, which were about 60ah.
So I then had a total of about 160 ah and never ran out after that.
The Lund was only 16.5'.
My Trophy is 21', wider by about a foot, and weighs about double the Lund.
I'm going with 36VDC now, instead of the 24 that was on the Lund.
Like Geoff said, my new 36V, 200ah unit will only weigh 121 pounds according to the supplier.
If I matched the ah in lead acid units I would need six 31's at about 65# apeice for almost 400#.
Like most all batteries, they like to be charged slower rather than faster.
So normally I'll use the 8amp charger.
But when we take our fishing trips we fish long hard days every day and will burn up more battery and have less time to recharge.
So then we will use the 20amp charger.
I will probably never need 200ah, but I would rather have more than needed than not enough.
Also like Geoff said, I don't want to chance not having enough juice at the end of the day to auto-stow the Ulterra.
I paid only $2600 for 3 chargers, the 36V, 200ah battery, and the bluetooth opion to monitor things from my smart device.
Go price Dakotas or others for a comparison.
(They don't even offer 200ah units BTW)
I got a really sweet deal.
Now if the battery would only show up.
 8)

Jethro

« Reply #39 on: Apr 12, 2021, 08:37 AM »
For $2600 it's super worth it. I tend to deep discharge my wet cells almost every time I use them, so it's likely I will need a new set of batteries in about 200 charge cycles- if I am lucky. Not to mention my performance will decrease almost every time I use them. They are $180 a piece so it's $540 to repower. The lithium doesn't suffer decreased performance at all when you deep discharge. You can empty them completely and still get perfect performance for thousands of cycles. It's a true win in every category- including overall cost. The only disadvantage is the initial cost.

Mac Attack

« Reply #40 on: Apr 12, 2021, 02:44 PM »
For $2600 it's super worth it. I tend to deep discharge my wet cells almost every time I use them, so it's likely I will need a new set of batteries in about 200 charge cycles- if I am lucky. Not to mention my performance will decrease almost every time I use them. They are $180 a piece so it's $540 to repower. The lithium doesn't suffer decreased performance at all when you deep discharge. You can empty them completely and still get perfect performance for thousands of cycles. It's a true win in every category- including overall cost. The only disadvantage is the initial cost.

Yea Geoff - these batteries will probably outlast me.
Lead acid batteries go to heck if discharged below 50% as you know, reducing the lfe.
I'm being told to expect 4000-6000 charge cycles with the lithium.
If I only assume 3000 charge cycles and fish 150X a year (recharging 150X a year), this would give me a 20 year lifespan on the battery.
I turn 65 in July.
That would make it last until I'm at least 85.
But more realistically they will last my son Jeff for maybe 25-30 years.
Yup - big time outlay, but a big time payback.
My plan is to haul it to Florida with me winters for use in the pontoon I'm planning to buy down there.
So I'll get double duty

mcully

« Reply #41 on: Apr 13, 2021, 05:39 AM »
What's your thought on the onboard charger holding up in a marine environment even in the cuddy?
I trailer so I guess I could just take it in and out but it is nice to just run the cord to an outlet.

Mac Attack

« Reply #42 on: Apr 13, 2021, 08:29 AM »
What's your thought on the onboard charger holding up in a marine environment even in the cuddy?
I trailer so I guess I could just take it in and out but it is nice to just run the cord to an outlet.

Nope
It’s not water resistant (nothing is water proof).
That being said you can always take precautions.
Years back I had an auto Pioneer Supertuner I wanted to use on my boat.  I bought a marine radio box from a local boating supply house and mounted it inside.  Solved.
Always a way.

mcully

« Reply #43 on: Apr 13, 2021, 08:38 AM »
Nope
It’s not water resistant (nothing is water proof).
That being said you can always take precautions.
Years back I had an auto Pioneer Supertuner I wanted to use on my boat.  I bought a marine radio box from a local boating supply house and mounted it inside.  Solved.
Always a way.
I hear you. Just like guys thinking because it says stainless it can't rust.

lowaccord66

« Reply #44 on: Apr 21, 2021, 10:25 PM »

I have minnkota's latest and greatest...4 bank, 100% sealed and will do lithium batteries not just agms. Works great.  Just plug in at the air bnb or hotel and I'm good to go.

Not sure what Mac is smoking (it's legal now!) but there's a number of sealed multi bank chargers out there that are very nice. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.