FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Baitfish species in pathfinder/boysen  (Read 2006 times)

Huntinfool18

Baitfish species in pathfinder/boysen
« on: Jul 04, 2020, 09:47 PM »
I’m going to get my seining license and net some baitfish for walleye fishing. Does anybody know the main forage species in pathfinder? Boysen? Seminoe? I’m pretty sure Glendo has shad in it?

olefish

Re: Baitfish species in pathfinder/boysen
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2020, 12:02 PM »
First you can not use minnows from Pathfinder drainage (area 5B)  in Boysen (2A) or vise versa and Seminoe (5C) is separate   .  Each drainage has its own permit and I am unsure if you can have more than one?  Boysen has suckers,  emerald shiners, carp and I am not sure of the others.  Everything else I believe are considered game fish. 

Huntinfool18

« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2020, 10:37 PM »
You are correct, can have one license per year for one area only. Thanks you for the info on boysen

POk3s

• Hey looky there....I got a bite!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2020, 12:27 PM »
I’m under the same assumption as you that glendo has Shad in it. The specifics I don’t know.
Trent Williams<br /><br />Green River WOLVES<br />Wyoming COWBOYS<br /><br />

waterlike

« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2020, 01:08 PM »
Can confirm Shad.  I was there once in late may early june on the north end of glendo where the river meets the res.  It was like there was no river, just shad..with a splash of water.  It was so thick with shad.

WGFDcasper

« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2020, 11:20 AM »
Main forage species in Seminoe are Emerald Shiner and White and Longnose Suckers.  Pathfinder has the same with the addition of Spottail Shiner.  In both Seminoe and Pathfinder, crayfish are abundant and are also an important forage component.  It is also very common to see Walleye feeding heavily on Johnny Darters in Seminoe/Pathfinder.  Glendo has the same species as Pathfinder and Seminoe with several additions, most notably Gizzard Shad which make up the bulk of fish diets after about July in most years.  Of course they are not legal to use as bait, but small Yellow Perch and Crappie are heavily preyed upon by Walleye in Glendo along with the shad.

appleye

« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2020, 11:26 AM »
The other bait fish that could be caught that works well are creek chubs. (Google search) hard to keep alive but great bait when you can get them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.