FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: NYS Canal system may not open...  (Read 9511 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
Re: NYS Canal system may not open...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2020, 06:43 AM »
I am not a canal guy, never fished it, never been on it. I have often wonder, where do the fish go when they lower it. I know some must stay in the water that remains but it looks like not a lot of water in some areas....
Now if fishing season was open and the boat in the water, I could go out and think about....h2l

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2020, 09:18 AM »
I just came home from fishing the half full section near my home. Got 6 really nice perch, could have kept another half bucket of gills (but didn't). Caught 5 bullhead a few white perch and a small pike. In 3 hours.

I'm always amazed at the abundance of fish and species in the canal. Especially since a couple weeks ago it was a mere trickle of water.

I'm sure they'll open it when they can. There's a lot of tourism dollars generated by the canal system.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2020, 12:41 PM »
In the BN today -

Erie Canal will not open on May 15, Canal Corp. confirms

The Erie Canal and the other waterways in the New York State Canal System will not open as scheduled May 15, and a state announcement hinted that the canal might open only in sections this year.
The state Canal Corp. posted a notice on its website last week confirming the expectations of canal users that the canal wouldn't open on time. Offseason repairs and maintenance were halted in mid-March at eight locations, including Lockport, because of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo's Covid-19 PAUSE initiative.
"However, to support the Canal's continued use as a prime recreational waterway, the Canal Corporation is currently evaluating operational options to ensure New Yorkers will have access to the Canal system, if even potentially on a regional basis, this season," the notice said.
"We recognize that this is an extraordinarily difficult time and are sensitive to potential hardships Canal stakeholders, as well as many other New Yorkers, may experience. The situation with Covid-19 is ever-evolving and we are trying to adapt our plans accordingly," the state notice continued.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2020, 03:51 PM »
I read that yestrday. My section still at the same level. Hoping it fills. My home  waters.

Fished it today from shore. Bullhead, white perch, some really nice perch, a few good sized largemouth, bluegills and a sucker.

It's the potpourri of fishing.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2020, 05:53 PM »
Ever get any walleyes Bob.

oatkasut

« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2020, 05:54 PM »
Bob, did you use your ties?

reeleyz

« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2020, 05:58 PM »

I was wondering the same thing.  ::)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2020, 06:04 PM »
Never know what you will catch in the canal.  Its got more fish spices than any single lake in NY..  Yes there's big walleye in there my biggest was 8 LBS on a bass crankbait..  Big tiger muskys and huge catfish..Along with almost everything else
that swims in nys waters..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2020, 06:50 PM »

Ill never tell!

No fly rods where im fishing right now. Not enough room.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2020, 03:51 PM »
Sink full from the canal.

No sir, theres no fish in the canal. I'd go somewhere else if I were you.

Rg

yankmyline

« Reply #11 on: Apr 29, 2020, 04:17 PM »
That is a fish smorgasbord!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Apr 29, 2020, 05:17 PM »
Nice job Bob... :thumbup_smilie:

oatkasut

« Reply #13 on: Apr 29, 2020, 05:30 PM »
no wonder there's no fish in t6he canal, you caught them all! Nice haul.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Apr 29, 2020, 05:35 PM »
Almost as much fun as my "backyard stream".

Cant wait to break out the flyrod for some bass and gills.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.