FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fly Rod Carp  (Read 5399 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Fly Rod Carp
« on: Jun 14, 2020, 05:28 PM »
Headed to one of my favorite holes on the creek near me today. Took my 5 wt TFO Axiom, some corn and corn flies. On arrival I saw at least 20 in a big pod working their way upstream feeding all the way. Had to wait almost a half hour for an opportunity to approach.

I worked my way down the bank and sat down. Got my gear ready and tossed out a small handful of corn. They came in fast and frenzied. Tossed out the corn fly and it was game on.

The opening of my net is 24". This guy took 4 tries to net and barely fit. I'd guess about 8-10 lbs. Had me out to the backing twice.

A second fish of equal size moved in after I released the first. I let it go by. I was still recovering from the first.

I'm gonna need a bigger net.
Great stuff!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

zwiggles

Re: Fly Rod Carp
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2020, 06:25 PM »
That’s awesome! They must make that drag scream!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2020, 06:41 PM »
Nice one Bob.  They were rolling all morning on the lake while we were out there..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

oatkasut

« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2020, 06:46 PM »
Way to go! It must be a thrill to get one of those brutes on a fly rod. I've only done it with spinning gear on the Delaware (NJ).

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2020, 07:18 PM »
You ever want to trade in your trout gear, I'd be happy to take you. It's more hunting than fishing. They remind me of Redfish.

My Red Truck Diesel is almost enough reel for these fish.  The old South Bend 1155's are actually better.

Next up is the Mulberry Drop. About 2-3 weeks out by my calculation.

Some serious carps on the fly.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

oatkasut

« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2020, 08:49 PM »
My buddy (RIP) use to carp fish alot with his fly rod and did quite well fishing the ponds in front of Malls and hospitals! You never know.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2020, 06:49 AM »
I use a few different versions.

Yesterday I was using the fly with the foam kernel. Sometimes they reject that one if they're feeling fussy. And I use one without.

It's a #12, 200R nymph hook with a small clouser bead eye. Yellow fine chenille. That's about it.

One fellow I run into at the canal uses a 12' Spey rod with a #12 octopus hook. He ties it like a hair rig and uses a vertical setup and strike indicator. He'll chum an area and flip that rig out to float just above bottom. It's a hoot to watch him work the Spey rod and hook into a big carp with it. He's very good at it.
Rg

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 15, 2020, 08:08 AM »
Sweet!!  They're like a big truck just grabbing gears.......
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2020, 03:24 PM »
Mulberries are about two weeks out. Taking the boat out tomorrow. I'll know if the carp are done spawning. If they are I want to give a few European techniques a try this week.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Jun 16, 2020, 09:29 AM »
Found 3 more mulberry trees this morning that I didn't know were there. They're loaded with fruit and showing signs of red.

Gonna have to tie up some more mulberry flies 👍

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #10 on: Jun 16, 2020, 03:10 PM »
Do you have a movie camera? I'd love to see you in action on this one since your the only avid mulberry fly fisher I've heard of. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Jun 17, 2020, 02:46 AM »
I did a GoPro a few years ago. Maybe I can set up my other camera and get some footage. Its going to be a big drop this year for some reason. The trees are loaded.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Jun 17, 2020, 01:16 PM »
Hit a couple spots on the canal this afternoon. Nothing happening. Might set up in the boat and give them a shot in the early morning.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Jun 19, 2020, 02:12 AM »
Going out very early this morning to try for some carp. Went yesterday morning and watched the sun come up.

Managed 2 out of 3 for the morning. Nothing huge. Trying a different pack bait today. We shall see. 
 Mulberries are getting close. I'd say next week if the heat keeps up. We could really use some rain.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Jun 19, 2020, 07:01 AM »
Well, not fly rod but, I set up osme rod holders for my boat yesterday.

Worked really well actually.
Lost a pig this morning. I was way under gunned for a fish that big. Couldn't do anything with it. Finally broke off 20 lb Braid line.

Gonna have to re-assess my carp rods....like I need a couple more rods🙄

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.