FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Jug and/or Trot Line Fishing  (Read 6863 times)

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
Jug and/or Trot Line Fishing
« on: Mar 18, 2004, 10:41 PM »
I can recall people refering to the "way back when days" and talking about the Jug fishing or Trotline fishing they used to do. Is this even legal here in NY State any more?

I found several sites with information and stories about  Jug Fishing and Fishing with Trotlines, but all the information was from Texas and down south. I could not find anything about this topic on the NYDEC online site or in their rules and regs handbook. Is this legal in NY State?

How many people have fished with either method?

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
Re: Jug and/or Trot Line Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2004, 11:41 PM »
Reel,
When I was stationed in Texas we would use jugs to fish for channel and flathead cats.  Its a nice relaxing way to fish and kind of fun chasing the jugs around at night.  I believe that type of fishing is prohibited in NY but not sure if it is or not.  Might be ok if you stayed within the fishing devises and number of hooks rules.  I have a meeting with one of the DEC guys the first of next week so I'll ask him about it and get back with you.

Til then, tight lines
Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2004, 06:12 AM »
As with any question regarding your local fishing regulations, it is best to call your regional office and get accurate information first hand. My friend, Retired ECO suggests asking for someone with rank like a captain to be sure of a correct answer.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

missfishylicious

• smile it makes them wonder what your up to
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2004, 07:43 AM »
we used to do it for bullhead way back when but we found out you needed a permit that was 15 years ago don't know now
I have no opinion on the subject .....yeah right

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2004, 08:52 AM »
As with any question regarding your local fishing regulations, it is best to call your regional office and get accurate information first hand. My friend, Retired ECO suggests asking for someone with rank like a captain to be sure of a correct answer.

RG

How'd I know you were going to say that.  ;D
Harold

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2004, 06:11 AM »
Howey, it's easier to head off arguments  over legalities than to let the topic degrade into  a GOMB thread.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2004, 09:16 AM »
??? ??? GOMB thread ??? ???  Sorry fer bein' ignant  :)
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

reelcharacter

« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2004, 02:31 PM »
RG,

I'm with USMC on this one, GOMB . . .  ???

You are not alone, Steve  :)

Contacting the DEC is always sound advice (whichever topic this is posted to, right Howie  :) ).  Have an office here in Syracuse, will have to get to know them a little better. Always better to get to know them while they are in the office than when in the field I say. (Particularly since when they are in the field they may have a piece of paper and a pen in their hands).

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2004, 02:43 PM »
GOMB = "The Grumpy Old Men's Boat"

The place where arguments are sent to die a slow death.

These legal questions invariably head that way.
RG

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2004, 02:50 PM »
Thanks RG,  I was lost there on that one.  ;D

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2004, 03:05 PM »
GOMB = "The Grumpy Old Men's Boat"

The place where arguments are sent to die a slow death.

And eventually if you don't let it die, there are plenty of folks that will tell you to.  Very hard on folks that always have to have that last word! ;D  Funny thing is that sometimes the very folks that post those things always make sure that their point is made earlier in the thread.  Beware if you come in late, ya gotta have thick skin.  It all makes for interesting reading sometimes though as long as everyone treats each other with some measure of respect.

reelcharacter

« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2004, 06:32 PM »
Thanks, RG.

Have not checked out that section yet. Will have to do so. (Perhaps to research what types of topics to avoid posting, if there is a pattern to be seen).

Fat Boy,

Thank you as well for the sage advice, including respect and all.

-Reelcharacter

susquayuga fisher

« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2004, 10:23 PM »
And I thought "GOMB" stood for "Get Off My Back" ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.