FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Garden time!!!  (Read 38789 times)

slipbob

Garden time!!!
« on: Apr 26, 2004, 03:24 PM »
It's about time for those first fresh veggies.  The asparagus is coming along nicely and so are the sugar peas, lettuce, and spinach.  I was able to plant about 3 weeks ago and now the seeds have sprouted and off we go.
Here's some of the asparugus which returns every year and is planted by rootstock which must be limed, mulched and fed well for best results.
[/img]
[/img]
This is my asparagus bed here which contains the famous Jersey Giant hybrid and Purple Passion which turns green when cooked.  Very tasty!
[/img]
Some peas making their way in the world and soon onto my dinner plate.
[/img]
[/img]
Some lettuce.
[/img]
Spinach on the way lookout Popeye!
[/img]
A view of part of the veggie garden which gets bigger every year.
[/img]
Random bulbs I planted last fall.
[/img]
One of my perennial beds.
[/img]
Once walleye season opens here which will be this Saturday we can get some actual fish pictures going here but I love taking pictures just the same even if it's not always of fish.  I hope you find these pictures at the very least, mildly entertaining.  Next week I will get pics of that state record breaking walleye I will most certainly catch. ::)

Cider

Re: Garden time!!!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2004, 03:42 PM »
Very nice Slipbob!!  I don't have a garden space yet.  My wife and I have had our home for five years.  It sits on approximately 14 acres of very overgrown land.  We have done a lot of brush removal/landscaping/lawncare and are just now to the point where we can start looking at places to put in a garden!  Can't wait to get some fresh veggies going and become a little more self-sustaining.

firstice_rules

• got to get them fishies
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2004, 07:07 PM »
loofs like you have quite the green thumb.
notin better than a perch on the end of my line!

slipbob

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2004, 08:51 AM »
Thanks Cider!  firstice-rules I do love to garden very much.  Every year I expand the gardens.  I mostly do perennial beds because they are nice and come back every year.  I bought my house about 3 years ago and am slowly turning the whole property into a giant garden.  I have a lot more work yet but I'm getting there.

firstice_rules

• got to get them fishies
« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2004, 07:56 PM »
my dad is the same. he figures out something else to do every spring and gets me dragged in to help whith the shoveling. although i don't mind playin in the dirt
notin better than a perch on the end of my line!

Cider

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2004, 08:50 PM »
I bought my house about 3 years ago and am slowly turning the whole property into a giant garden. 

I can read between the lines.  You just want to get out of mowin' lawns so you can go walleye fishin' more often!!  8)

slipbob

« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2004, 08:36 AM »
I bought my house about 3 years ago and am slowly turning the whole property into a giant garden. 

I can read between the lines.  You just want to get out of mowin' lawns so you can go walleye fishin' more often!!  8)
That's it.  I hate spending time mowing the darn lawn.  I have a pushmower and it takes me about one solid hour or more to cut.  I wanna knock that down to 20 minutes and just have some grass paths between the flower and veggy beds.  I need about 3 more summers to pull it off and I will have a 3/4 acre garden.  The problem then is I will need about 40 cubic yards of mulch every year to spread but oh well.  I used about 20 yards last summer.  Lots of work but walleye fishing is just an evening activity.

mike692

« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2004, 07:48 PM »
Nice pics Slipbob. Maybe I'll post some pics of mine in the future. BTW, I hate mowing also. But it DOES beat the heck out of shoveling snow. ;D

Fishingking

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 01:49 PM »
cant believe the veggies are growing already we got a bunch of asparagus yesterday and had em for dinner  thye are starting to come up good now  the garden well it still needs to be plowed over lol the darn grass isnt even growing yet
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

mike692

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2004, 06:19 PM »
Okay, slipbob, here's a few of my garden pics.......

First is just an overview of the garden. Garlic is in the first bed.

The second is from the end of the garden. The green tipis are Wall O' Waters with peppers and toms in.

Here are some pics of my goldenseal bed. It looks good this year!

slipbob

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2004, 09:28 AM »
That's awesome mike692.  You are a true credit to the gardeners among us.  Beautiful setup.  Where do you live?  I am getting ready to get my tomatoes and hot peppers in soon.  I've got some nice habaneros and jalapenos ready to go and it's about time to get the carrots planted too.  I just need to trade off some walleye fishing time for time in the garden.

mike692

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2004, 06:24 PM »
Thanks slipbob. I live in the Laurel Mountains in southwestern PA. If you have a late frost where you live, you should try some of those Wall O' Waters. This is my second year with them and I'm sold. So far this year the tomatoes in them have survived a 2 inch snow, and a couple of hard frosts. They are just about ready to pop out the top.
I want to get some things out this weekend. Carrots and some different types of lettuce and spinach. Need to plant some herbs and I am going to take a chance and put some zukes and cukes out. I looked today and my potatoes are coming up as well.

Chucker

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2004, 05:40 AM »
cant believe the veggies are growing already we got a bunch of asparagus yesterday and had em for dinner  thye are starting to come up good now  the garden well it still needs to be plowed over lol the darn grass isnt even growing yet

Talked to my mom yesterday on the phone.  The Amish down the road harvested 127 pounds of asparagus yesterday!

slipbob

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2004, 08:08 AM »
Holy cats Chucker.  127 lbs of asparagus.  That's a lot of stinky pee. 

Otter

• Retired MFF Mod
  • The river is mine
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2004, 06:38 PM »
Gardening is awesome!  I like perennials best, but it's all fun.  There's just something about digging in the dirt, it gives me a feeling of utter tranquility.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.