FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Garden time!!!  (Read 38792 times)

slipbob

Re: Garden time!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2004, 08:31 AM »
Gardening is awesome!  I like perennials best, but it's all fun.  There's just something about digging in the dirt, it gives me a feeling of utter tranquility.
You got that right otter.  I have about 45 different perennials in my gardens now.  I experiment a lot to see what overwinters best and survives in my relatively sandy soil.  Many perennials are getting ready now and I will update with some photos and botanical descriptions as we go through the summer.  Some of my anthemis is getting close as well as several columbine species and iris's.  I have some early shasta daisies too that will bloom in a couple of weeks.  Perennials rule.  Plant them once, mulch well, and take good care of them and they will reward you for years.  ;D

mike692

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2004, 06:50 AM »
I never had much of an interest in perennials until recently. I have grown more common ones such as tulips and daffodils, but not much else. The last couple years I've started with black-eyed susans and purple coneflower. This year I am starting pansies and johnny jump ups. I think I can get them to over winter if I mulch them good. I may, if time permits, order some bulbs for planting this fall.

BTW, I hit the garden pretty good on Friday. Planted green beans, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, cukes, and a second sowing of lettuce and spinach. Hoping to be frost free until fall now. Although, that full moon on June the third scares me a bit..... ;D

slipbob

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2004, 03:24 PM »
I was out browsing the garden during my lunchbreak and took some pics.  Here's where we are as of May 18th.  Things are coming along nicely and we aren't too far from fresh salad greens.  Mmmm good.
[/img]
The peas are coming along good now.
[/img]
Here are my prized giant poppies they will bloom soon.
[/img]
Some columbine.
[/img]
Mountain bluet or cornflower.
[/img]
Some Iris.
[/img]
I have some work to do this week.  6 yards of mulch and 3 yards of topsoil that came today. 
[/img]

mike692

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2004, 09:45 AM »
Nice pics slipbob. Here's a few from my garden......

Greens.....

Chives are starting to blossum.....

My columbine is not nearly as nice as yours.....

My poppies are starting to bloom. I wish they would last longer.....

slipbob

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2004, 09:57 AM »
mike692 those are great pics.  My columbine has to be moved it's not doing very well now I have them in too much sun.  I need to relocate them soon for next year but all of the stuff I have pictured survived -30 degrees last winter so they have to be hardy.  The poppies are very nice it's the first year for me with them.  I bought them last spring and I now get to enjoy the blooms finally.  Your greens look great and you do a really nice job with your garden.  You'd  make a great neighbor when I'm out of lettuce.  Keep the pics coming and I will update with the perennials as they come along through the summer.  I just put out my jalapenos, habaneros and tomatoes of which my favorite is the old reliable Brandywine heirloom variety.  If you are looking for some good quality pernnials check out www.bluestoneperennials.com.  I have ordered from them many times and have always been happy with their plants.  They are in Ohio and do mail order plants.  The first year they just get established and the second year is when you really can reap the rewards.

mike692

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2004, 11:12 AM »
I have heard of Bluestone. They are ranked very high at gardenwatchdog.com. If you like heirloom plants, check out Sandhill Preservations website. They sell heirloom seeds and old varieties of poultry.

My poppies and columbine were both here when I moved in; the poppies spread every year, and if I want to use that bed for other things, I have to keep them thinned. They are both in full sun, and it has never seemed to bother them.

Do you ever save seed from your vegetables? That red leaf lettuce in the first pic is called "devil's tongue". It's an heirloom variety I got from Territorial. The plants this year are from seed I saved from them last year. Almost 100% germination.

It has been very hot and wet here, so I am having problems with slugs and flea beetles. Slugs nipped off some of my pepper plants already. I hate those things. Someday I'm just going to cut the ducks loose in the garden.... ;D

slipbob

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2004, 03:59 PM »
I have only saved seeds from some perennials like hollyhocks and shasta daisies mainly out of laziness.  My brother has used seeds from territorial many times and has always been happy.  I could use some of that wetness because I am on pure sand and if it rains hard just wait 5 minutes and you won't even know it rained.  It's always an extreme though it's either too wet or too dry.  Sorry to hear about the slugs they are a nightmare we are lucky here they are nonexistent but depending on the soil type they can be plentiful.  You have a richer darker soil that will hold the water longer and keep the slimy slugs in business.  It's probably very fertile and needs few amendments but if you keep getting rain it's hard.  You can't make the water go away except for raised beds.  It's definitely easier to irrigate than deal with constant precipitation.   That's great you have poppies they are nice I had some Iris here when I bought the house but I am adding new plants every year by both seed and division of current rootstock.

mike692

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2004, 09:49 AM »
I have pretty good soil, but it does get very hard after it dries. If I didn't have raised beds, my garden would be a pond. I'd have to dig ditches to divert the water. The way I have it now, the water just runs through the paths between the raised beds. Half of the garden still gets too wet to plant until late spring/early summer.

Grandpa Jack

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2004, 07:30 AM »
Hey Fishing Buddy,
Can you tell me where I can buy one or some of the perennials that draw the hummers. That cardial flower looks great. I get them with just the feeder but I want more. Thanks GJ

slipbob

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2004, 01:29 PM »
Hey Fishing Buddy,
Can you tell me where I can buy one or some of the perennials that draw the hummers. That cardial flower looks great. I get them with just the feeder but I want more. Thanks GJ
We can find some for ya Jack.  I know some of the local greenhouses will carry some hummingbird favorite perennials.  Something bright and trumpet shaped is best.  I will check up on it in one of my perennial books as they give you ideas on plant types for different needs like a butterfly garden or shade garden or what not.

Cider

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2004, 01:59 PM »
I will check up on it in one of my perennial books as they give you ideas on plant types for different needs like a butterfly garden or shade garden or what not.

Look for delphinium, gerbera daisies, sweet william, phlox, digitalis (foxglove), columbine, hollyhock, any day lilies or iris, purple coneflowers, lupine, bee balm, rudbeckia (black eyed susans), or salvias for perrenials.  They will all do nicely around here.

Asiatic and oriental lilies are some of my favorites!

Annuals/hanging baskets: dahlias, fuschia (these are one of my favorites for attracting hummingbirds), geraniums, gladiolus (very cool when you can get them to grow nice tall straight spikes), begonias, impatiens, nasturstium, zinnias, snapdragons, petunias

For shrubs: azaleas, rhododendrons, lilac, weigelia, russian olive, hawthorne, trumpet vine, mountain laurel.

These will also attract a plethora of butterflies!

slipbob

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2004, 02:17 PM »
Thanks for the input Cider you obviously have a bevy of botanical knowledge.  If you like the lilies I have a good stock of them and will post some pics when they are ready.  I put in a few kinds last year including longiflorum asiatics and miniature tigers which are the same as the 6 foot monsters that have to be staked but a 3 foot version.  They are coming along nicely and are without a doubt the most intoxicating of any flower as far as fragrance.  Bring a cut lilie into a room and float it in a wineglass and it brings a great scent to the room.

Cider

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2004, 02:33 PM »
Yup.  I took a couple botany courses and got into growing orchids and carnivorous plants quite heavily.  Unfortunately, my current home is a large open-plan saltbox that we heat with wood in the winter.  It gets very dry and I can't keep it humid enough for the orchids.  I also had trouble with temperature requirements.  Some plants needed seventy degrees 24 hrs.  Others wanted 70 degree days and cool nights and others wanted cool temps for 24 hrs.  I went from well over a hundred plants to now just two since we bought our house almost five years ago.

I can keep cattleyas alive there but lost my stanhopeas, papheopedilums, dendrobiums, oncidiums, phrags, phalenopsis orchids.  I used to have them growing on slabs and in hanging baskets as well as in different potted media.  I miss having them around and cannot wait to get the right environment for them again.

As far as the carnivores, I played around with various types of pitcher plants mostly.  I grew Sarracenia flava, Sarracenia purpurea, and a few sarracenia crosses, and a couple Nepenthes spp.  I also had some Drosera spp, bromeliads & tillandsias (air plants).

At one time I belonged to the American Orchid Society, two local orchid societies, and the International Carnivorous Plant society.

Someday I hope to have a 12X20 or so hobby greenhouse so I can get back into amateur botany again.  The world of plants is downright fascinating.  I didn't really want to take a botany course, but it was mandatory for the degree.  After sitting through it, I couldn't get enough!

I even thought about starting my own greenhouse business.  Unfortunately, there are plenty of them around here and I don't think I could draw enough business to stay with it.  It would have been nice to work for myself at home being outside enjoying the weather and having time to fish or hunt whenever I wanted to.  My winters would have been wide open for everyday ice-fishing!

crappieman12887

« Reply #28 on: Jun 01, 2004, 11:39 PM »
heres my chance the only thing i need to do is call slipbobs wife and tell her to have him plant some more flowers on the other side of the house that will keep him busy for a day or two.bill

deerhunter

« Reply #29 on: Jun 02, 2004, 06:44 AM »
hey guys nice pics. i am from mass and have about
10,000 sq ft. of vegy garden. i grow just about
everything thats good.i spend most of my time in
the garden and going to maine, my home state
trout and salmon fishing.i do ocean fishing here in mass.
i also shoot the deer that eat my garden during hunting season.
i dont know to do pics so cant show anything.
tomatoes are king in the garden and ihave seeds for
austrailian red oxheart tom that a old timer gave me.
you cant buy them. give me an address and ill send a few.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.