FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Now I remember....  (Read 4408 times)

westernmas

Re: Now I remember....
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2019, 09:14 AM »
I've been making plugs for 40 years,,my investment was paid for years ago,I've got jigs and patterns made for over 30 styles of plugs, it's the labor that goes into the production of a true custom plug that makes them so expensive, very few builders hydro orient each and every plug,then weight,and test it before sealing it ,I've caught fish on prototype plugs that were bare wood and unweighted,and not even sealed, sometimes it doesn't matter..everything is labor intensive, comercial builders just can't spend that amount of time and turn a profit, I get requests from people and bait shops all the time,I'm not interested.its a hobby I've been doing most of my adult life, selling them would take that pleasure away.

That's great!  Glad you have such a passion for it.  I tie some flies and understand the time consuming process of creating something from scratch.  You need so many darn materials for tying flies that it isn't a money making operation either once you take your time into account.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Roccus

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2019, 10:19 AM »
That's great!  Glad you have such a passion for it.  I tie some flies and understand the time consuming process of creating something from scratch.  You need so many darn materials for tying flies that it isn't a money making operation either once you take your time into account.

I tie a few as well,all saltwater stuff, can't see the small trout flies any more..

westernmas

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2019, 01:49 PM »
I tie a few as well,all saltwater stuff, can't see the small trout flies any more..

Last weekend the schoolies were loving my white and blue zuddler (zonker/muddler) that I use for trout but they were keyed in on pretty small bait.  I got a few on chartreuse and/or purple clousers but the bigger I went the less I caught.  The fly is beat to hell now so I need to get back on the vise but there's too many fish to catch this time of year.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2019, 01:50 PM »
Sunday Ill be targeting bass on the CT river.  Should be interesting!

westernmas

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2019, 01:59 PM »

Theres solid fish in the river.  My buddy got a 39" and 30lb fish this morning.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Roccus

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2019, 02:19 PM »

a friend of mine has been on them there for 2 weeks now, taunting me with pictures.. you should do well.

lowaccord66

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2019, 08:25 PM »
a friend of mine has been on them there for 2 weeks now, taunting me with pictures.. you should do well.

Well Joe & Pat..I am optimistic but curiously so.  Tide looks good.  Incoming tide early in the morning.  We're launching in east haddam and going to search on our way down.  Plus if the bass don't play nice we will chase pike near where we launch.  (Probably will anyways!)

Spot lock and stripers ought to be fun.  I need to grab a few staples that I used in the spring.  9" white sluggos 100% must have. 

Roccus

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2019, 06:05 AM »
Well Joe & Pat..I am optimistic but curiously so.  Tide looks good.  Incoming tide early in the morning.  We're launching in east haddam and going to search on our way down.  Plus if the bass don't play nice we will chase pike near where we launch.  (Probably will anyways!)

Spot lock and stripers ought to be fun.  I need to grab a few staples that I used in the spring.  9" white sluggos 100% must have.
He didn't say,and I won't ask,but Im under the assumption that he's fishing above tidal influence. .

lowaccord66

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2019, 08:13 AM »
He didn't say,and I won't ask,but Im under the assumption that he's fishing above tidal influence. .

Ya there are bass up there.  The ones I want are the ones that eat bunker not herring!  The fresh arrivals.

Roccus

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2019, 08:15 AM »
Ya there are bass up there.  The ones I want are the ones that eat bunker not herring!  The fresh arrivals.
he aint catching schoolies...the last pictures was a #38lb fish.. his partner has topped 40...

lowaccord66

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2019, 08:38 AM »
he aint catching schoolies...the last pictures was a #38lb fish.. his partner has topped 40...

No surprises there either.  To each is own I find my results chasing bass on herring swing too wildly from excellent to non existant.

Roccus

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2019, 09:03 AM »
No surprises there either.  To each is own I find my results chasing bass on herring swing too wildly from excellent to non existant.
My findings are just the opposite,  I won't bother telling you why and just wish you luck..you know what your doing, go get em!

lowaccord66

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2019, 09:32 AM »
My findings are just the opposite,  I won't bother telling you why and just wish you luck..you know what your doing, go get em!

In NY id agree but thats drifting herring...kinda straight forward.

Will report back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.