FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Price of Minnows?  (Read 12828 times)

AKAGAZOO

Price of Minnows?
« on: Apr 09, 2010, 05:26 PM »
Wow I just paid $5.30 for 2 doz crappie minnows(Bite Me baitshop in Chesterton). Did they go up or something? I didnt say nothing because the older I get, the less I care to argue or debate. I also noticed that there was more like 3 or 4 doz in my bucket when he was done. But really did these go up? I paid $3.10 for 2 doz the other day in Valpo @ country bait. Just curious
h

abishop

Re: Price of Minnows?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2010, 05:42 PM »
Lots of times it depends on how big they are. Wholesale they cost $8.50 @ pound. Times you will get 10-12 dozen other times you can get 18-25 do the math. I usually buy by the pound if I have a couple days to use them. Left-overs go into the cooler in garage with airaterator from aquarium. Change 1/2 the water every few days and put a chunck of ice in every day, and, they will last quite a while. I kept large shinners during winter for 2 1/2 months. WHAT REALLY HURTS IS WHEN YOU ASK FOR 5 DOZEN MINNOWS AND THEY COUNT EVERY ONE. WHEN YOU LOOK AT THE AMOUNT AND THEN SAY BETTER GIVE ME 2 MORE DOZEN. O U C H ....

wallin

« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2010, 08:27 PM »
You been buying in Demotte Al-lmao.
Wallin

HighPockets

« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2010, 08:51 PM »
I found a bait store between Kokomo and Greentown on the north side of Kokomo reservoir that has crappie and bass minnows for 1.45 a dozen. I think that has been the best price I have found in awhile.

muskiesteve

« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2010, 09:05 PM »
I hit Gander mt on the way to the lakes every time I come up here now.
1.99 a doz and they must have failed math because I ask for 3 doz and end up with 5 to 6 doz EVERY time.
hope this helps
Steve

abishop

« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2010, 09:23 PM »
You been buying in Demotte Al-lmao.
   Actually, I get most of my bait at marvels in Lowell. Butch's bait of course. The one I would stay away from is the Country bait in Valpo. The 2 nice older ladies give you a good shake however, the grumpy son will count 1-2-3-4-, you may get 40 minnows is you ask for 3 dozen. Eingenburgs in Demotte is very fair. Another GOOD place is KASST bait in LaPorte, he sells wholesale and had cataracts and fills your bucket. Buy 2 doz. and get 10.

rivercruiser

« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2010, 09:50 PM »
Wow! 5 dollars for two dozen seems quite salty.  I can get three dozen for a $1.35 at flowing well on 13, by the barbee chain.

bherr24

« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2010, 10:16 PM »
They went up 25 cents in the last 2 weeks at the shop where i had been getting mine.  It's now 1.50 a dozen. I have about a 45 minute drive or so and the bait shop was halfway in between. Think i will just start buying them here before i leave town since i have an aerated bucket now, last year they were .79 a doz here.  To be fair though, 2 dozen minnies looks more like 5-6 doz and last all day so i can't complain there.

DADDY-O

« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2010, 10:29 PM »
bought alot of minnows from gander, they give you more then enough. ABISHOP where is marvels in lowell? always looking for a bait shop heading south. what are there hours.
SATCHMO

ryno-salmon-slayer

• Fish On
« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2010, 11:30 PM »
I agree that gander does give out a fair share...but they seem 2 die quickly, i like Slez's Bait n Tackle in lake station!! Minnows live for days on end and at i belive buck75 a doz., he hooks u up real nice!

RiverRedneck

• KEEP HIS HEAD UP!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2010, 01:07 AM »
1.00 a dozen for crappie minnows on rt 10 between wheatfield and demotte gotta love it...there a tiny bit smaller than usual but they definitely seem to work

doug_z

« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2010, 01:38 AM »
Marvels is on 151st just about a 1/2 miles west of rt.55 (nine mile stretch).  I believe he is open until 4pm, but not sure.  I think he is a wholesaler, he has just about anything you want...Doug

princecraft

« Reply #12 on: Apr 10, 2010, 07:10 AM »
Lunker's just across the boarder in Edwardsburg has them for 1.00 a dozen.

abishop

« Reply #13 on: Apr 10, 2010, 07:41 AM »
I agree that gander does give out a fair share...but they seem 2 die quickly, i like Slez's Bait n Tackle in lake station!! Minnows live for days on end and at i belive buck75 a doz., he hooks u up real nice!
ROGER OWN IT AND GREG WORKES THERE AS WELL. THEY ARE WEST OF 9 MILE STRETCH ON 153 4TH HOUSE ON NORTH SIDE. ON TOP OF HILL. PULL IN DRIVEWAY IF NO ONE IS OUTSIDE IN THE GARAGE ROGER WILL BE OUT. THEY HAVE A SIGN WITH HOURS POSTED ON THE DOOR, BUT THAT RULE ISN'T THE GOSPEL. HAVE ALWAYS GOT BAIT. AL

abishop

« Reply #14 on: Apr 10, 2010, 07:42 AM »
I HAVE GOTTEN THEM AS CHEAP AS 75 CENTS FOR CRAPPIE AND 5.50 FOR LARGE SHINERS. SUCKERS ARE EVEN MORE, ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU ARE FISHING 4.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.