FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: River Fishing in Fort Wayne  (Read 20706 times)

Zoojunkie782

Re: River Fishing in Fort Wayne
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2013, 09:16 AM »
A couple other spots:

Saugeye have piled up in front of the St. Joe/Johnny Appleseed Dam for a number of years. Though usually misidentified as walleye, they originate from escaping a hatchery in Ohio and making their way down the St. Mary's. For this reason, you can also stumble upon large saugeyes when bank fishing the St. Mary's or even Maumee.

Large flatheads (50 lbs +) can be caught in places, namely along greenway areas along the Maumee. There have been a couple posts on here but not many specifics given. Target woody debris and deep holes.

The St. Joe- above IPFW and towards shoaff park has some crappie and bass. Worth casting into sunken trees and seeing what hits. Smallmouth often hang out along the riprap wall opposite of Johnny Appleseed park. Without a boat it would be hard to fish but when there's a will, there's a way.

For the most part, the St. Mary's doesn't have much to offer. A couple smallmouth, maybe some carp. The area of the river from Bluffton Rd/Foster Park east and the confluence of the St. Joe River is pretty devoid of gamefish.

Park Ponds are often overlooked. Lakeside has three separate ponds with OK bass. Panfish are small though. Reservoir Park downtown has an array of panfish but I have never fished it. The YMCA near Salomon Farm Park used to let anglers park in their lot and fish the pond there. I have only fished it once and if you go during the summer, you will have a heck of a time casting beyond the weeds. Still, it has decent panfish and some largemouth.

FWCanoeFisher

« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2013, 09:27 AM »
I'm often looking for company on Monday mornings. I can help best as I can at getting you on some river fish

Wish I could do Monday mornings, I work 8-5 M-F.

I live in Leo and have often thought about cedar creek.  Would love to meet sometime and learn more about that fishery.  Sounds like it could be fun.

That would be something worth learning!

You've all been helpful thus far.  I'm always game to learn more and research more!

DanO2013

« Reply #17 on: Mar 13, 2013, 12:34 PM »
Cedar Creek is a lota fun - people get a little touchy about you bein on thier banks but i have never had any issues as long as i stay in the water - had some guys shooting in our direction one afternoon - not at us or extremely close to us but close enough that my buddy fired a few rounds into a near by bank to signal to them HEY there are people over here - there shooting stopped after that - anyone that wants to bank fish or wade into the creeks or rivers just send me a PM and once this cold front is out i am going back at it! almost went last night to a pond i know but decided it was a waste of time

Jerms32

« Reply #18 on: Mar 16, 2013, 07:30 PM »
First open water fish of the year. Think it's a saugeye but not real sure
The only way to know,is to see it for yourself

walleyepac

« Reply #19 on: Mar 16, 2013, 08:01 PM »
Nice eye . Yes its a saugeye , river ?

Jerms32

« Reply #20 on: Mar 16, 2013, 10:54 PM »
Maumee river ft wayne. Buddy had one and lost it,and 5 catfish. I had 1 saugeye and a catfish. The one he lost was a lot bigger than mine, but she went on to be caught another day!

Jig_Head

« Reply #21 on: Mar 17, 2013, 12:41 AM »
Great fish!!

bldfrt

« Reply #22 on: Mar 17, 2013, 02:11 AM »
How do you tell the difference between a walleye and a saugeye?

popnfish

Jerms32

« Reply #24 on: Mar 17, 2013, 08:48 AM »
The easiest way for me to tell is the blotchy patterns on the side. Walleye has a more uniform pattern.

kesdadddy7597

« Reply #25 on: Mar 17, 2013, 09:11 AM »
Live bait or artificial?

Jerms32

« Reply #26 on: Mar 17, 2013, 11:08 AM »
Artifical. Storm swim bait perch color 1/4oz

WallEeyes

« Reply #27 on: Mar 17, 2013, 07:32 PM »
Nice Suageye Jerms.

Jerms32

« Reply #28 on: Mar 17, 2013, 09:39 PM »
Nice Suageye Jerms.
Thanks can't wait to get on some eyes on the lakes

FWCanoeFisher

« Reply #29 on: Mar 18, 2013, 11:56 AM »
I can't wait to get some eyes, period.  It'll be nice to be back out on the water in any way or form.  I'm just tired of being stuck inside because of the poor weather.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.