FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: River Fishing in Fort Wayne  (Read 20705 times)

Broken_Lines

Re: River Fishing in Fort Wayne
« Reply #30 on: Mar 18, 2013, 02:16 PM »
Nice saugeye. Got a question though, do you keep the fish out of the rivers in ft wayne? I've heard reports about the water in town not being the most sanitary and recommend not to keep fish, but if you catch fish above  the dam before you get into town its clean water and ok just like you expect from any lake. I'm asking cause I don't live far fron where saugeyes are known to stack up here in town.

FWCanoeFisher

« Reply #31 on: Mar 18, 2013, 03:13 PM »
Nice saugeye. Got a question though, do you keep the fish out of the rivers in ft wayne? I've heard reports about the water in town not being the most sanitary and recommend not to keep fish, but if you catch fish above  the dam before you get into town its clean water and ok just like you expect from any lake. I'm asking cause I don't live far fron where saugeyes are known to stack up here in town.

I've wondered that exact same thing!

DanO2013

« Reply #32 on: Mar 18, 2013, 04:01 PM »
i wouldnt keep fish out of the ft wayne rivers, or any rivers i have ever fished honestly - tho - as a kid i did until i got sick one time, then never again - learned taste aversion i guess as the sickness may not have actually been the fish i ate i mean who knows - but i do know there are clearly marked signs at many public access sites in ft wayne that say dont come into contact with the water let alone eat fish from it - i see people keep them from rivers every year - its just a risk - especially if warning signs are posted LOL...thats just my opinion

DanO2013

« Reply #33 on: Mar 18, 2013, 04:02 PM »

if you are talking about johnny appleseed dam - i myself would not keep anything from there to eat - there are signs posted advisng against it

Jerms32

« Reply #34 on: Mar 18, 2013, 06:07 PM »
I personally did not keep it. I filleted it and gave it to my buddy who I was fishing with. I looked up consumption levels and the walleye in the maumee in Allen county was a level 4 meaning 1 meal every two months. Which at first I was like oh no way I'm keeping it then I also noticed that walleye in Adams lake were also a level 4 and I've ate them out of there. Adams lake seems like a clean lake to me and I've ate several fish including walleye. So not I guess it's all personal preference. The guy I was fishing with,his buddycatches drum from the same spot we caught the saugeye and he keeps every one he catches and he's never been sick.
The only way to know,is to see it for yourself

DanO2013

« Reply #35 on: Mar 18, 2013, 07:18 PM »
I personally did not keep it. I filleted it and gave it to my buddy who I was fishing with. I looked up consumption levels and the walleye in the maumee in Allen county was a level 4 meaning 1 meal every two months. Which at first I was like oh no way I'm keeping it then I also noticed that walleye in Adams lake were also a level 4 and I've ate them out of there. Adams lake seems like a clean lake to me and I've ate several fish including walleye. So not I guess it's all personal preference. The guy I was fishing with,his buddycatches drum from the same spot we caught the saugeye and he keeps every one he catches and he's never been sick.

i grew up fishin the ohio river and silver creek (a large creek similar to the rivers here that flows into the ohio river) used to eat em all the time as a kid and knew i wasnt supposed to but eh i was 14 i didnt care lol - but MOST people there kept everything they caught (legal size or not) i feel thats the number one reason that the creek is fished out now - i used to TEAR THEM UP! there - i would catch 20-30 fish a day no problem, it ruined fihing for me cuz i thought that was common fishin lol - found out later it surely is not - they were good sized to - what really upset me is guys would get a stringer full of fish and then i would find that stringer thrown in the woods - ill never agree with that nor will i ever understand it

Jerms32

« Reply #36 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:13 PM »
I hate nothing more than wasteful "sportsman"!!! I've seen it way to many times. The first one that always comes to mind is at pigeon river fwa. 3 buddies and I were on a paid put and take pheasant hunt where we could shoot 2 birds hens or cocks, we had one other group of guys which we did not know hunting the same area. Well we kept hearing a lot of shooting and were getting kind of frustrated that we weren't getting many shot. An hour or so later we crossed paths with them and they had 4-5 cocks. We congratulated them and went on our way hunting. We finally got to the side they were hunting and after walking around we found several piles of dead hens that they must of shot and let lay. We ended up and called the dnr and they came and got the birds and told us they would take care of they guys. I never heard anything about it after that but I'm sure something happened cause every guys name that hunted the spots were on a list.

walleyepac

« Reply #37 on: Mar 18, 2013, 08:54 PM »
Those saugeye mite not make u sick but it could affect your health down the road, I personally believe there are chemicals running through that river

HILLBILLY FISSSHER

« Reply #38 on: Mar 19, 2013, 06:56 AM »
  An u don't there are chemicals in the lakes u fish ?
Just probably more in the rivers .
There is still a lot of run off to most of our lakes also.

DanO2013

« Reply #39 on: Mar 19, 2013, 09:33 AM »
I hate nothing more than wasteful "sportsman"!!! I've seen it way to many times. The first one that always comes to mind is at pigeon river fwa. 3 buddies and I were on a paid put and take pheasant hunt where we could shoot 2 birds hens or cocks, we had one other group of guys which we did not know hunting the same area. Well we kept hearing a lot of shooting and were getting kind of frustrated that we weren't getting many shot. An hour or so later we crossed paths with them and they had 4-5 cocks. We congratulated them and went on our way hunting. We finally got to the side they were hunting and after walking around we found several piles of dead hens that they must of shot and let lay. We ended up and called the dnr and they came and got the birds and told us they would take care of they guys. I never heard anything about it after that but I'm sure something happened cause every guys name that hunted the spots were on a list.

i love put n take pheasant - i just went about 2 weeks ago to a preserve in northwest IN - it is expensive (20 bux a bird) and you must buy 5 birds each with a 2 man minimum and the dog and guide is 60 bux - thats 130 per man - i cant afford that very often but even if they were all free i wouldnt ever just let them lay dead - that really angers me - if you cant catch and release then you have to keep them, thats just how it is - if you dont want them yourself and you are a sportsman than by God you should know half a dozen people that would love to have them - i still have 3 in my freezer i am going to eat this week - i want to go one more time before april 30th but i know of a place you can buy minimum 3 birds so it will be cheaper - it is a lot of fun - only go once a year but this year tryin for 2!!! - Jerms you ever do the preserve put n takes?

Jerms32

« Reply #40 on: Mar 19, 2013, 06:11 PM »
i love put n take pheasant - i just went about 2 weeks ago to a preserve in northwest IN - it is expensive (20 bux a bird) and you must buy 5 birds each with a 2 man minimum and the dog and guide is 60 bux - thats 130 per man - i cant afford that very often but even if they were all free i wouldnt ever just let them lay dead - that really angers me - if you cant catch and release then you have to keep them, thats just how it is - if you dont want them yourself and you are a sportsman than by God you should know half a dozen people that would love to have them - i still have 3 in my freezer i am going to eat this week - i want to go one more time before april 30th but i know of a place you can buy minimum 3 birds so it will be cheaper - it is a lot of fun - only go once a year but this year tryin for 2!!! - Jerms you ever do the preserve put n takes?
I've never done one on a preserve. We use to have one right north of us and by the time I got around to setting something up it closed down. Would love to try it some time to compare to the fwa hunts

High Flags

« Reply #41 on: Mar 19, 2013, 08:26 PM »
    It is sad to think of all the pollution in our lakes and rivers. I have eaten lots of fish my whole life. It sure makes you wonder about the long term affects.  scary stuff.    ???

Love the put and take, my buddy runs a German short hair.  Sure is fun hunting over the dog. He hunts Winamac, and another club in ILL.

DanO2013

« Reply #42 on: Mar 19, 2013, 08:28 PM »
I've never done one on a preserve. We use to have one right north of us and by the time I got around to setting something up it closed down. Would love to try it some time to compare to the fwa hunts

You should give it a try for sure - it is a lot of fun - me personally i dont have a dog so i havent ever tried the fwa put n takes cuz i dont think i have a real chance without a dog - i am going to try it tho here at the huntington one this fall cuz i think its only 15 bux so why not give it a shot - i know the one i have liked the best is called backwoods preserve if you google it it is in bremen indiana but the hunt takes place in mill creek i believe - real professional dog and a nice friendly guide - only thing i didnt like there was they do release some in the woods and you simply can not shoot through tree trunks - its not possible - other than that it is great - if u miss you just watch where abouts the bird goes and then try to take the dogs back to that area later - it is a fun hunt and birds that you didnt pay for but previous hunting parties missed are free to shoot!

shovelholdsdirt

« Reply #43 on: Mar 21, 2013, 04:54 AM »
From what I understand, the City of Fort Wayne has no choice but to improve water quality in thier rivers...set forth by federal government.  They have been trying to reduce run off into to the rivers.  Not sure if they still have the program, but they will help with expenses to install a residential rain garden.  Btw, the river is a big source of your municple drinking water.  :P

DanO2013

« Reply #44 on: Mar 21, 2013, 07:48 AM »
yea it is the drinking water, but it is treated - i had a crazy hippy professor in college who wouldnt want to waste any water - he said he would put a pitcher under the faucet in the tub to catch the water that came out between when he turned on the water and then switched it over to shower and then he would throw that water onto a tree outside - LOL - crazy hippies

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.