FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: mmmmmm bass  (Read 5671 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
mmmmmm bass
« on: Jul 30, 2019, 12:32 PM »
went  fishing  in hopes  of  a  few  walleyes   after  awhile it  didn't look like  my day  but I was  having  fun with the  small mouths, I  decided  to  keep  a couple  and  fillet them for  dinner ....  I  fillet them   iced  them till I  got  home  then  breaded  them  and  fried  them  and  grilled  some  corn on the  cob .....the bronze bulldogs  where  pretty tasty  and  everyone  enjoyed  them ...... I  think I  will keep  some  more .....
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

lowaccord66

Re: mmmmmm bass
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2019, 12:40 PM »
Sounds like a viable alternative to me Trap.  Nice work.

trapper2000

« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2019, 12:50 PM »
if  I  can  eat a  bottom feeding  bullhead  guess I  can  eat a  bass  lol  ...seriously  ate  a lot of them  as a  kid  ,  then  it  became fishing politically correct to release  them and  say they tasted  bad  well .... they  don't in fact they  were  good  and  yeah   was a  great  alternative... in fact i'll target a  few  just  for  dinner   now  and then   

zwiggles

« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2019, 01:23 PM »
I enjoyed eating them when I was younger. They’re just a big sunfish, what’s not to like?

jperch

« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2019, 01:27 PM »
Us old farts remember when the size limit was 10 inches.  I believe the limit was 6 back then.  Those 10 inchers were just fine table fare.  Incoming!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2019, 01:40 PM »
Nothing wrong with bass. Most of the time when people say certain foods taste bad, they just have no clue how to prep and cook them.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2019, 02:12 PM »
I kept a couple largemouth bass ice fishing that were exceptional eaters. 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2019, 02:20 PM »
I kept a couple largemouth bass ice fishing that were exceptional.

Jon - you hit the nail on the head. The only time I keep any panfish and bass is when they are caught through the ice and early spring when the water is just above freezing. There is something about that hot summer water that does not make freshwater fish appetizing to me which is why I keep to the salt for fish fries.
Wicked Wec

trapper2000

« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2019, 02:27 PM »
Us old farts remember when the size limit was 10 inches.  I believe the limit was 6 back then.  Those 10 inchers were just fine table fare.  Incoming!

I remember  the  10 inch  size   and  bass  were the fish everyone  wanted ......

2muchleft

« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2019, 02:43 PM »
Yep.  6 was the limit and 10" was the size.   I used to like them as a kid but somehow they became "fishy" to cook.  Glad you enjoyed your meal.  Might have to try one again! 

greensider

« Reply #10 on: Jul 30, 2019, 05:22 PM »
Omg you killed a bass the tournament guys will be soooo mad 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂 enjoy the fish dinner

fishfetcher71

« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2019, 06:09 PM »
nothing wrong with bass. i prefer largemouth over smallmouth.   clean cool water makes them even better    bass cheeks are yummy.

seamonkey84

« Reply #12 on: Jul 30, 2019, 07:10 PM »
No minimum size here in Maine, in the souther half, we’re allowed two with only one over 14”. Norther half they are treated as the invasive species that they are, no bag or size limit.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

dirtydeeds

• neckties..contracts...high voltage!
« Reply #13 on: Jul 30, 2019, 10:37 PM »

I always keep a few smallmouth from chamount bay every year I swear they seem to taste better up there than from my local finger lakes. I keep a few largemouth from hemlock lake here and there all year long, the taste reminds me of when I was a young kid catching and eating with my uncle. Good times!!
done dirt cheap!

bigal409

« Reply #14 on: Jul 31, 2019, 05:10 AM »
I kept a couple largemouth bass ice fishing that were exceptional eaters.
You are lucky. Bass are out of season during ice season in New York.  :-[ :-[

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.