FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Jigging-Help  (Read 1708 times)

daddyrainbow

Jigging-Help
« on: Sep 07, 2019, 06:39 AM »
Hi Guys, I love to use Kastmasters and jig from my boat. I usually do pretty well but there is one lake  up in the Adirondaks that I have no success with jigging. I have gone there multiple times and I get nothing.  I can get fish trolling or using spinners. But never anything Jigging. The fish finder shows lots of fish but I just cant get it to work. I just dont understand why. Wondering if any of you have experienced this  or any suggestions.

Johnnh

Re: Jigging-Help
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2019, 07:34 AM »
What fish species are you after?

daddyrainbow

« Reply #2 on: Sep 07, 2019, 10:14 AM »
I am fishing Lewey lake and there is suppose to be lake trout. I was fishing in about 55 feet of water and there are a ton of fish on the bottom. Not sure what they are but I have tried repeadetely and cannot get anything. 

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2019, 11:30 AM »
You may be jigging to aggressively, or may be the wrong color. Our local lake changed in the last few weeks to a real slow jig and a different color.

reeleyz

« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2019, 11:42 AM »
Jigging Lakers is fun and different than other jigging.

My set up, 6’ bait caster with 10lb. Power Pro and a 5’ leader of 10lb fluorocarbon. I use a 3/4 Oz jig and 3” or 4” Berkley gulp minnow.

Find the fish with the finder. Then drop the jig to bottom, bounce it a few times then reel up a 4 or 5 times, jig jig, reel up 4 or 5 times, jig jig, all the way to the surface, drop it back down and repeat.

Lakers love to chase and they are way more aggressive than I ever thought. They can swim straight up very fast.

If you can anchor or hold a trolling motor on a pod of fish that is the best. I just keep dropping it to bottom and then reeling the jig through the fish to get them to compete for the bait.

There are other times when I just pound the jig on bottom and they will nail it.

Good luck. It is addicting!

daddyrainbow

« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2019, 12:18 PM »
I usually use gold or silver. Maybe I need to try a different color.

filetandrelease

« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2019, 12:19 PM »
 Also if your spot locked or anchored you may see your jig and fish which is a panic to watch kinda like ice fishing

reeleyz

« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2019, 02:03 PM »
I usually use gold or silver. Maybe I need to try a different color.

I always use white.

seamonkey84

« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2019, 02:16 PM »
Sometimes you’ll be over a school that isn’t in a feeding mood, sometimes they flip like a switch and but then stop. If you don’t see any fish chasing on sonar, try downsizing and slow down, or big and bright for a reaction strike. Otherwise move to find active fish.
Wait am I on ice shanty or open water lol.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.