FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Clambake  (Read 10579 times)

minnowreaper

Clambake
« on: Jul 31, 2009, 12:41 PM »
I am looking to have a large clambake with about 30 people or so and am having a hard time figuring out how to go about it.I cant seem to be able to find a pot designed for clambakes that is big enough for my needs,I want to put about 5 doz clams,a few doz ears of corn maybe 10 chickens,potato's etc. and cook them together to get a tasty broth at the bottom of the pot,but con only find pots 19 quarts or so,too small.Does anyone know where they sell large clampots or have a alternative clambake method they are willing to share,any help would be appreciated.

BAZOOKAJOE

Re: Clambake
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2009, 01:37 PM »
I would do trash can cooking for the chicken.  Steam the rest New England style under a burlap tarp with hot rocks and wet corn husks or seaweed.  Or boil the rest all together.  Just a thought.

minnowreaper

« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2009, 01:45 PM »
thanks for the ideas,I ended up finding a 86 quart stockpot with a spicket on the bottom to get the broth out,I will have to go pro now to help pay for the stockpot butit should fit everything in it ;D

eyedoktr

« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2009, 02:23 PM »
I am looking to have a large clambake with about 30 people or so and am having a hard time figuring out how to go about it.I cant seem to be able to find a pot designed for clambakes that is big enough for my needs,I want to put about 5 doz clams,a few doz ears of corn maybe 10 chickens,potato's etc. and cook them together to get a tasty broth at the bottom of the pot,but con only find pots 19 quarts or so,too small.Does anyone know where they sell large clampots or have a alternative clambake method they are willing to share,any help would be appreciated.

Is that per person or did you mean 50 doz ? Either way, it's not many clams. The last clambake I went to I ate 12 dozen clams, a half chicken, a 12 oz porterhouse, a lobster, salt potatoes, corn, etc.
Pete Lewis

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #4 on: Aug 06, 2009, 06:20 PM »
Is that per person or did you mean 50 doz ? Either way, it's not many clams. The last clambake I went to I ate 12 dozen clams, a half chicken, a 12 oz porterhouse, a lobster, salt potatoes, corn, etc.

I hope you saved room for dessert!  ???

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2009, 09:11 PM »
Could everyone see the lump of food moving through your system? That must have looked like a snake moving a ground hog through. :o

minnowreaper

« Reply #6 on: Aug 06, 2009, 09:19 PM »
well im not sure how many people will eat 12 doz clams, but not sure,I was going to just get a big sack or two.Just getting the pot was was a big step,now I have to look into securing clams and mabey some other sea creatures to toss in the pot.How many clams are normally baked at a large clambake? :-\

eyedoktr

« Reply #7 on: Aug 09, 2009, 05:49 PM »
well im not sure how many people will eat 12 doz clams, but not sure,I was going to just get a big sack or two.Just getting the pot was was a big step,now I have to look into securing clams and mabey some other sea creatures to toss in the pot.How many clams are normally baked at a large clambake? :-\

My parents used to do a big clambake every year and they figured 2-3 dozen clams per person. Some ate more, some less, but there were never any leftovers.

I actually did eat all that at my last clambake. I had a severe case of the munchies. If I'm doing a clambake for myself (once or twice a year) I usually cook 5 dozen clams, a half chicken, salt potatoes and 3-4 ears of sweet corn. I LOVE clam broth.
Pete Lewis

minnowreaper

« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2009, 01:10 PM »
Well im going to get about 500 littlenecks, 15 chickens,8 doz ears of corn,potatos ect..Hope its enough,mabey throw a brisket or some flank steaks on the grill for some turf 8)

kkbait

« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2009, 06:31 AM »
Where did you get a stockpot that size??

minnowreaper

« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2009, 09:11 AM »
I googled stock pots with spickets, after going to several resteraunt supply stores,kind of expencive but it will become a family erloom ;D

dkruks

« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 2010, 11:18 AM »

it's no wonder the U.S. has a weight problem, good lord, did you have to go see your doctor after that?

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2010, 03:45 PM »

it's no wonder the U.S. has a weight problem, good lord, did you have to go see your doctor after that?
Heck, that's just the appetizer for most of us on here ;D
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2010, 04:20 PM »
I know this is kind of an old thread, but I'd like to share how we do the clam bake thing at our family reunions. My family grew up in Gloucester MA, so they know a few things about clambaking, and you said you didn't have a pot big enough and I thought to myself "what the heck is he talking about? You don't use a pot!" so I had to reply.

First, we make a big pile of rocks. Probably 12" in diameter rocks, a big pile, like 30 of them. Then we make a huge fire on top of the rocks and burn it as hot as we can get it, for hours and hours. The beers are usually flowing pretty good at this point. Next, we make the youngins fetch a 45 gallon trash barrel full of sea weed. They love it and we usually end up with twice as much seaweed as we need. While the fire is roasting and the sea weed collection is happening, we soak the clams in salt water to clean them. Lobsters, corn on the cob and potatoes are usually the rest of the menu. So after the fire has burned down, the sun should be getting low and you should see the rocks glowing red hot. We throw on half the seaweed, then a layer of potatoes wrapped in foil, then a little seaweed. Then the corn, then a little seaweed, then the clams and lobster on top, then the rest of the sea weed. Finally, we take a big canvas cloth that has been soaking in water and lay it over everything and take cold rocks to seal the sides where it meets the ground. You should see a prodigious amount of steam rising from the canvas lump on the ground (the kids also love that). After about an hour, everything should be steamed real good and it's time to make a mess, so have a table covered in newspaper and just lay it all out there for the guest to grab. A big pot of melted butter to just dunk things in is best- forget ramikins for every guest. Have lots of salt and pepper on hand and I promise that people will be amazed at the flavor and juciness of the meal!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.