FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513138 times)

Mac Attack

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1815 on: Jan 31, 2018, 05:24 PM »
Donna also says it looks likes hens and chickens Bob.

she just researched it a little and confirms this.

so zwiggles was correct it appears.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1816 on: Jan 31, 2018, 05:49 PM »
Nope...not hens and chickens. The petals are way to turgid, the blooms are completely different. Hens and chickens are monocarpic plants. They bloom once and die. This plant continues to bloom every year. I've had it better than  10 years now. Blooms every winter.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1817 on: Feb 18, 2018, 08:02 AM »
Flying squirrels were out last night and this one let me get 4ft away to take its picture....

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1818 on: Feb 18, 2018, 10:37 AM »
That's really cool Dom. I've only seen them once while camping in a southern tier park.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1819 on: Feb 18, 2018, 11:27 AM »
Theres usually a few at a time out there.
This was last year..

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

pinetree

« Reply #1820 on: Feb 18, 2018, 01:29 PM »
They are awesome to watch, especially when they take 'flight'. I had a few run ins with them when I worked as a tree trimmer.  Unfortunately it would be because I was cutting down their home. I always felt bad but had little choice in the matter. I hear they are almost as common as Grey's and reds but since they are noctornal you just don't notice them

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1821 on: Feb 18, 2018, 01:47 PM »
Welcome to the site Pinetree .
Little slow this time of year but it picks back up.... ;D

pinetree

« Reply #1822 on: Feb 18, 2018, 08:43 PM »
Thanks, haha-with the ice fishing season coming to an end I have to start thinking about other activities!

tomturkey

« Reply #1823 on: Feb 19, 2018, 07:46 AM »
I was taking down a martin house that I had put up a few years before. The birds had not used it so the owner wanted to move it to see if they would use it different location. As I was unbolting it a flying squirrel used my head as a lunch ramp to get out of the house. Flying squirrels living in it was why the martins did not use it. The had almost totally destroyed the inside of it. They used one of the rooms as a bathroom. Man did it stink. It took a lot of repair and cleaning before I could set it up in another spot.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1824 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:20 AM »
I have a couple bird houses 20 something feet up and they occupy a few of them every year....

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1825 on: Feb 19, 2018, 04:54 PM »
I owndwr if there's any around my neck of the woods? I've never noticed them in the evenings.

Anyway, I have the first shoots of spring popping up around the  flagpole. It looks like one of the tulips. And the bluebirds are back hanging around their nest box.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1826 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:15 PM »
Im sure you do Bob. No one notices them because there nocturnal.
I just happen to have a spot light that i shine out the back door a couple times through the night when i wake up ...
Hope your tulips survive till its really spring.....

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1827 on: Feb 20, 2018, 04:33 PM »
They're mulched pretty well Dom. I might buy a few bags and DD to what's there. Today when I checked I could see crocus, iris and tulips starting to show. They're pretty well established so I think they'll be OK.

I'm gonna keep an eye out for the nocturnal marauders.

Do you never see them during the day?
Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1828 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:58 AM »
The only time i see them during the day is when i take a baseball bat and bang on the tree with the up high bird houses and sometimes they stick there heads out to see whats going on...... ;D

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1829 on: Feb 21, 2018, 08:00 AM »
Its best to have a tall feeder with tall trees close by so they can glide back and forth..
They dont go on the ground.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.