FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512848 times)

Roccus

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #2145 on: May 25, 2018, 06:54 AM »
The chipmunks are the worst. Always disappointing to pick the perfect strawberry only to find a quarter of it has been nawed on.
.. absolutely... last year they even ate the green ones...2 years ago they started climbing the peach tree eating the small peaches...only then did she give me permission to have them "walk the plank"..

Rabbits get my star gazer lilies.. no amount of spray can deter them... but they are a sucker for a couple giant romain leaves suspended in a large cage trap( cover the bottom wire with grass).. I add a pot of pansies and snag them every time.. I've got 3 this week..they were relocated to a nice pasture where they wont bother anyone ..

I saw a pair of coyotes on the front lawn last Sunday evening..I know they were hunting rabbits..obviously..not enough of them!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2146 on: May 25, 2018, 07:03 AM »
Boy you all are so far ahead of me.
Fought the black flies last night just to get my electric fence up.
The deer aready ate  the spinach and peas... :P
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Roccus

« Reply #2147 on: May 25, 2018, 07:11 AM »
Boy you all are so far ahead of me.
Fought the black flies last night just to get my electric fence up.
The deer aready ate  the spinach and peas... :P

we are closer to the coast.. ... winter stays long in your neck of the woods...I have to replant the peas.. peter cottontail dug under the fence and wiped them out.. didn't touch the Brussels sprouts..

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2148 on: May 25, 2018, 07:41 AM »
I'm after a chipmunk whose been burying sunflower seeds in all my gardens. 1 more red squirrel to get as well.

Had to replace a couple more cuke seedlings this morning. But, I still have extras that are looking very healthy. Spread some diatomaceous earth in all the gardens yesterday and hit my Asiatic Lillies with Malthion to kill the Red Lilly Leaf Beetles. Don't know where they come from, but I get them every year.

The Tomtato looked a little wilted today.....I talked to it for a while giving it encouragement. Might put a little sign in the cage with it.....I think I can.......I think I can........ :laugh:

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Roccus

« Reply #2149 on: May 25, 2018, 08:20 AM »
I'm after a chipmunk whose been burying sunflower seeds in all my gardens. 1 more red squirrel to get as well.

Had to replace a couple more cuke seedlings this morning. But, I still have extras that are looking very healthy. Spread some diatomaceous earth in all the gardens yesterday and hit my Asiatic Lillies with Malthion to kill the Red Lilly Leaf Beetles. Don't know where they come from, but I get them every year.

The Tomtato looked a little wilted today.....I talked to it for a while giving it encouragement. Might put a little sign in the cage with it.....I think I can.......I think I can........ :laugh:

Rg
peanutbuter on a cracker covered in sun flower seeds are an attraction no chipmunk can ignore.. but as you said you have to get the more aggressive red squirrel first...I hope your tomato-potato experiment pans out.. I've never tried grafting anything but trees.. love  the concept!

I just added about 3000 red wigglers and casing to the garden.. in winter they serve as panfish  and trout bait.. in summer they help with the gardening/composting  chores!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2150 on: May 25, 2018, 06:00 PM »
Might have to go to the cracker combo in a havahart to get this little bugger. It set off the mousetrap and escaped.

The Tomtato is a little rough looking today. Really hot for this time of year. Hit near 90 today. Not dead just yet Though. I'm naming it "Rocky".

I have just tons of worms in my garden beds. Can't dig a scoop without finding a bunch. I'm happy with that.

Had to water a lot today, very dry and hot already. Seems like late July instead of late May.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #2151 on: May 26, 2018, 11:40 AM »

Rg
We saw a chipmunk while having coffee this morning.  I mentioned to my wife I'd have to get the live trap out, hate them near the house.  Our little crazy killer female cat saw it and stalked it for 30 minutes, taking notes, and leaving it for future reference.  We figured she have it by sundown tonight.  Twenty minutes later our old, fat, overweight, laid back, male comes strutting up the drive with said chipmunk in tow.  Didn't see that coming.  Never underestimate an old guy.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2152 on: May 26, 2018, 04:55 PM »
We're slow.....but.....determined  :laugh:

Spread 35 bags of mulch today between my house and the property next door. Laid  fabric and leaf mulch on the pepper bed.

I'm done,

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2153 on: May 27, 2018, 06:19 PM »
The Tomtato...or ....potomato is doing quite nicely. No new growth just yet but it's showing a "can-do" attitude.

The plant I took the tomato scion from sprouted new growth. BONUS! I'm gonna put it in the garden. One way or the other I'll have yellow cherry tomatoes.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2154 on: May 28, 2018, 06:09 AM »
Hope it keeps looking better every day Bob.....
I might get a few things planted late this afternoon unless i go fishing... ::)
Been way to busy this week to get anything done at home.... :-\
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2155 on: May 28, 2018, 07:17 AM »
Only 6 days since the operation, but it's chances get better every day.

Rg

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #2156 on: May 28, 2018, 10:16 PM »

I managed to get a bit done today, been working out of town all week, and really just don't have the time to do a lot in 2 short days at home. I put my first raised bed in today, a 6 x 3 from Runnings, cedar for 70$ I'm working in the north country and go by a bunch of Amish mills, I think I'll stop and price their rough cut and see if I can save a few bucks as we want 9 in total. got 3 really nice Asparagus roots and some herbs in there for now. Going to be strictly Spragu going forward.
  I do have a question, should I treat the cedar? Forgot to snap some pics :o Next weekend I plan on tilling the main garden and planting my my plugs. I did get 3 Raspberry varieties in the ground. Apples have bloomed and are showing fruit, as well as apple scab, so I hit them all with fruit tree spray. Waiting on a good sale to but a half dozen blueberry bushes to go with the one lonely guy I have now. We are getting a new home on our property this summer so it's going to be a bit hectic, but Lisa and I are very excited! We have never done permanent gardens here because we weren't sure if it was going to be home or not, but we decided it's the best for us for now so there is a ton of gardening in my future!
  I got a couple 4 dozen pickle vines going in this year ::) ::) ::) all Bush. Ran out by thanksgiving last year......

Hope everyone had a wonderful Holiday with loved ones, God Bless America  :flag: :flag:   

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #2157 on: May 28, 2018, 10:54 PM »
Got to planting my three 4’x8’ raised beds today. Decided to try and crowd my tomatoes this year, have cherry between big boys and beefsteak.

The other 2 beds are riddled with hot peppers: jalapeño, Portugal hot, habanero and a new one for me, a big yellow hybrid hot pepper. I really enjoyed some of the hot sauces and pickled peppers I made last year. The jalapeño jam was even better.

In the raised beds, I used weed paper for the first time. Was a challenge to keep a grid of plants with the paper, but I hope it cuts down on weeding. Plan to layer some mulched yard clippings over the next few days.

Also planted 12 cukes in the hopes of not running out of pickles in March.

Last bit of planting for the day was summer squash and zucchini, which when grilled is a great side dish anything coming off the Weber.

Summer has officially begun!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2158 on: May 29, 2018, 04:45 AM »
Sounds like everyone's moving right along.

Good for you Ed. You'll have a nice homestead going there. All in good time. No need to treat the cedar. You don't want to be eating chemicals anyway. There are a few so called "safe sealers" for wood out there. But it's really not necessary. If you have to replace a few boards in 10 years.....it's worth it.

I do square foot gardens and put a tomato in each section of the grid. Do the same with pickles, cukes and peppers. It takes some controlling to keep them in line, but they always produce. I do a fair amount of pruning.

I'm ready to plant my jalapeños and will probably look for a hot Hungarian pepper plant at Lowes today. Couldn't find any seed and I love those peppers added to my pickles.

Still have a few square feet in the raised beds for a couple more Black Krim and Jubilee tomatoes. My other stuff, potatoes, spinach, tomatoes, asparagus and cukes are really starting to take off.

I have a feeling it's gonna take a lot of watering this year. No rain in sight except for maybe a thunder shower or two.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2159 on: May 29, 2018, 07:21 AM »
Early morning gardening....
Pulled a nice batch of radishes from the cold frame. Repotted a few leftovers for the neighbors.

Planted my jalapeños, another each of Beefsteak, Black Krim, Better Boy and Jubilee tomatoes. And, put the bonus sprouting yellow plum tomato in the raised bed along with a couple more pickles

Re planted the cold frame with 3 varieties of spinach and a few rows of carrots. Held over a couple jalapeño plants for the neighbor and put in one pot with some curly parsley.

I'm officially done planting.........for now ;D

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.