FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Down East report  (Read 362 times)

Scalloper

• 73 lbs Atlantic Hal june 2009
Down East report
« on: May 08, 2024, 08:47 AM »
So several of us agree that this is the worst year for salmon fishing on Cathance lake in over 20 years. Many guys reporting not a bite after hours of trolling. My best day (10 hrs) only produced 5.
West Grand is doing very well and a few larger salmon then past years. Seems like 1/20 are 3.5-4 lbs. One of my friends fished 12 hrs on Saturday and landed 28 salmon.
The shad fishery in Columbia seems to be giving up some nice fish for the few that are fishing that area.
Brook trout were biting very well in rivers and streams south of rt 9 yesterday with some reporting 15+ fish landed.
Its a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job

taxid

Re: Down East report
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 04:13 PM »
Why do you think the salmon fishing is that poor on Cathance lake?  Lack of coldwater forage or too much forage? A down cycle? Water quality? Any theories?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Scalloper

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 06:34 AM »
I question if the state reduced the stocking numbers. Or maybe something happened to the fish after they were stocked last fall. There was very very little ice fishing pressure due to bad ice conditions so it was not " over fishing". I think we have kept 3 since February and all 3 had a dozen or so smelt in them. I did see decent pods of smelt in places while trolling. I even spent 5-6 hrs so far looking in the deep water for the salmon but its been terribly slow and not marking much at all.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 07:02 AM »
Any invasive northern pike there?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Scalloper

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2024, 04:01 PM »
No, just invasive small mouth by the 1,000s and small mostly. 4-8". I fished a rockpile in front of my place one day with my son using live bait. We had 94 in a 5 gal bucket.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024, 08:32 AM »
No, just invasive small mouth by the 1,000s and small mostly. 4-8". I fished a rockpile in front of my place one day with my son using live bait. We had 94 in a 5 gal bucket.

SMB do feed on smelt. When we had smelt in a local lake they did go down deep to feed on them.

Scalloper

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2024, 06:56 AM »
It is very common to catch bass on riggers down to 70' or more in the summer.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2024, 07:33 AM »
It is very common to catch bass on riggers down to 70' or more in the summer.

No surprise there!  Back when I did an outdoor column for a local newspaper I got invited out for a gill net survey in the summer on a local coldwater lake that was planted with trout, that historically had smelt and cisco. The survey was to determine if any cisco were left. No Cisco or smelt were found, but we did get some smallmouth in 40 feet of water. What really surprised me was the Common White Suckers we got suspended over deep water. I had always thought suckers were exclusively a bottom feeding fish as evidenced by the buccal position and shape. But it was explained to me they will also feed on suspended zooplankton!  I also found out to my surprise during a stint as a biologist aid one summer that channel catfish will also suspend feeding on gizzard shad!

The state planted a significant amount of fingerling lake trout in this small 500 acre coldwater lake system as left over fish from an experiment to determine if they could hatch and rear them in local trout rearing station. There may be other factors but I can't help thinking the lake trout had a big part in extirpating the smelt and cisco. I know smelt have up and down cycles in abundance, and perhaps the lake trout trout reduced their numbers so significantly they didn't recover? There was also no limit on the number of smelt that could be harvested and people removed them by the bucket fulls when they staged in an area of the lake before spawning.

I wrote a proposal to reestablish smelt by getting fry shipped overnight from a certified hatchery in Maine to reestablish them for coldwater forage for planted brown trout (back when smelt were abundant this lake system had browns up to 13 pounds). We were told no because they were an exotic fish (the planted rainbows and browns aren't?), and they would eat the eggs and fry of the native fish. Since when do smelt exist in warm shallow water when bass and bluegills are spawning or later when the fry are small enough to eat?) The only species I think the smelt could prey on in this lake system are northern pike and yellow perch fry which are almost nonexistent in this lake system anyway. From experience yellow perch eggs are distasteful to predators.

woodchip1

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2024, 09:53 AM »
From my past experince the state is not paying enough attention to PH and we are allowing to much Phosfures  to run into water shed  instead of Potash

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.