FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Woo Doggies..dem kayakers are out in force  (Read 1376 times)

rivereddy

Woo Doggies..dem kayakers are out in force
« on: Aug 24, 2019, 07:35 PM »
Yes, I am retired, and most of my retired buddies refuse to fish on weekends due to the crowds.  A chance to fish is a chance to fish however, and a friend who is still working can only get Saturdays off.  I picked him up at "the crack of 8:30" and we put the canoe in the local river.  So did every other kayak fisherman in the county.  We seldom saw fewer than 3 yaks upstream from us and another 3 downstream.  We found a submerged tree that hosted a wad of
nice sized crappie, pinched down the barbs on our mini tubes and ran it up on the fish.  Whenever a group of yakkers came by we asked how they were doing.  Every one had a great time catching lots of big, big smallies.  If I tallied the numbers of big fish caught from what I was told, that 3 mile stretch of river yielded about 79 fish over 20......... I can't vouch for their stories but I can say that the number of boaters was absolutely stunning. It looked like opening day for walleye in Wisconsin.

fish on,

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
Re: Woo Doggies..dem kayakers are out in force
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2019, 04:43 AM »
Yes, I am retired, and most of my retired buddies refuse to fish on weekends due to the crowds.  A chance to fish is a chance to fish however, and a friend who is still working can only get Saturdays off.  I picked him up at "the crack of 8:30" and we put the canoe in the local river.  So did every other kayak fisherman in the county.  We seldom saw fewer than 3 yaks upstream from us and another 3 downstream.  We found a submerged tree that hosted a wad of
nice sized crappie, pinched down the barbs on our mini tubes and ran it up on the fish.  Whenever a group of yakkers came by we asked how they were doing.  Every one had a great time catching lots of big, big smallies.  If I tallied the numbers of big fish caught from what I was told, that 3 mile stretch of river yielded about 79 fish over 20......... I can't vouch for their stories but I can say that the number of boaters was absolutely stunning. It looked like opening day for walleye in Wisconsin.

fish on,
Yak-holes.  Can't find a quiet pocket of water anywhere these days.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2019, 09:01 AM »
I seen a pack of yakers on the way in the other day. I did circles around them till they capsized.  lol just kidding.

:rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bigr

« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2019, 05:17 AM »
It's great to see so many people out on the river. Conditions have been very nice for a trip. The good thing about the river and kayaks/canoe/jon boats they make very little noise and no wake and usually just float on by. As far as 20in smallies I hope they all caught fish that size and if that's how they saw there fish that's great too.

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2019, 12:51 PM »
Conversely was on Clear Lake east of Fremont with one of my cousins one day. We were catching smallmouth in the 14 to 16 inch range with slip bobbers and a night crawler. Guy came by with a sail boat and asked what we were catching. We told him smallmouth and the size. His reply was, "You guys are exaggerating. There are no smallmouth in here that big." I was about tell him there were much bigger fish in the lake but it would have been a waste of words.

Obviously the guy either was a lousy angler or did't know squat about fishing
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.