FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Free Fishing Day  (Read 4756 times)

bogtrotter

Free Fishing Day
« on: Jun 14, 2020, 06:46 PM »
Yesterday, I took advantage of Free Fishing Day and headed north (from MA) with three compadres - - my buddy Brian, his pal Ted (whom I've only met a handful of times before) and Ted's high school age son Aidan - - from about 10 AM to 3 PM.

It was a nice day - - sunny and blue skies - - but surprisingly cool (topping out around 60 degrees) and breezy.

We started on the Hoosic in Pownal.  (It was my first time ever fishing the VT stretch of that river).

We made two stops by bridges, fishing both above (i.e., upstream) and below (downstream of) them.

The first stop was by the intersection of Main Street and Palmer Drive, while the second was on Dean Road.

At our first stop, I caught four browns (12" to 14") above the bridge - -  and also got to see a doe cross the river between me and my buddy Brian (who was fishing a football field upstream of me) below the bridge.

At our second stop, I caught one last (12") brown below the bridge.

Then we headed to Bennington, where we fished my traditional annual "milk run" by the three covered bridges along the Walloomsac, which was lower than I ever recall seeing it before.

I didn't have any action at all by the Henry Road bridge, but caught two (12") rainbows by the Paper Mill bridge and a third (also about 12") just downstream of the Silk Road bridge.

All in all, I found it to be a most satisfactory day - - particularly the quality of the fishing on the Hoosic in Pownal.  Definitely worth the price of admission.

PIKEBAIT

Re: Free Fishing Day
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2020, 08:56 PM »
Trotter.  Thanks for great report.  Too bad that vermont fishermen are too depressed to get on the water and tell us about it.  I have to admit I'm a little frustrated with number of
Mass. and Conn.  fisherman overwhelming northern NH but I've met some great traveling fishermen because of it.
Looking forward to time when I can stay in Vt.  for fishing vacation.
Dick

bogtrotter

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2020, 09:23 AM »
Too bad that vermont fishermen are too depressed to get on the water and tell us about it.

Yes, I too find it odd that only the ME, MA, NH, NY and IN boards are posted on with any regularity.

mudchuck

« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2020, 08:53 AM »
Online forums seems to be waning and FB is taking over as the primary forums, but there's so much vitriol on FB that it's just not worth it anymore to post anything anywhere without some keyboard warrior telling you whatever criticism they feel like spewing that day...

That said, I took my eldest & his wife out for the afternoon on Carmi in northern VT, we got there around 2:30 and the winds had dropped off tremendously as forecast. was such a beautiful afternoon and so calm & quiet as we only had a small handful of others trolling around the shorelines to contend with and by 4PM most were gone and we had the lake practically to ourselves.
We pulled diving crankbaits and worm harnesses w/bottom bouncers and my DiL caught 5 small walleyes mostly 12-14", 4 large perch, a large rock bass & a fishing pole someone had deep six'd & my son caught a couple large perch too, all went back to grow.

I caught a 21" walleye that we took home and I filleted for them to have for dinner.

Both enjoyed the trip immensely and it was an early father's day gift for me to spend the afternoon with them doing some fishing.

bogtrotter

« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2020, 12:31 PM »
We pulled diving crankbaits and worm harnesses w/bottom bouncers and my DiL caught 5 small walleyes mostly 12-14", 4 large perch, a large rock bass & a fishing pole someone had deep six'd & my son caught a couple large perch too, all went back to grow.  I caught a 21" walleye that we took home and I filleted for them to have for dinner.

Sweet!  Sounds like one helluva day on the water.

Theshad

« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2020, 03:03 PM »
Everyone I know that fishes around here like to use the Facebook fishing groups. I don’t Facebook, so I come here. It’s too bad that more of us Vermonters don’t visit the site more often.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jun 18, 2020, 09:50 PM »
Not all the Facebook pages are full of vitriol. I run two of them and don't tolerate bad behavior. It depends on who's running the page.
Say the wrong thing and boom you are gone.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 2020, 11:56 AM »
Trotter.  Thanks for great report.  Too bad that vermont fishermen are too depressed to get on the water and tell us about it.  I have to admit I'm a little frustrated with number of
Mass. and Conn.  fisherman overwhelming northern NH but I've met some great traveling fishermen because of it.
Looking forward to time when I can stay in Vt.  for fishing vacation.
Dick

Don't be frustrated Dick those traveling fishermen keep the economy moving albeit maybe to a lesser extent nowadays.  It could be worse...when corona hit the number of NY plates I saw in CT was unreal.  I've been itching to get on the big lake but haven't come up yet.

PIKEBAIT

« Reply #8 on: Jun 21, 2020, 06:25 PM »
Don't be frustrated Dick those traveling fishermen keep the economy moving albeit maybe to a lesser extent nowadays.  It could be worse...when corona hit the number of NY plates I saw in CT was unreal.  I've been itching to get on the big lake but haven't come up yet.

Well I'm travelling again.  Headed west to Grand Isle for a week of warm water fishing .  I also plan to ruin my diet with lots of Island ice cream and pizza when I stock up on bait at Bill's.
I sold my Starcraft last month so I'll be fishing out oh my canoe or taking my wife's advice and hiring a guide for a couple of days.  I have a new supply of Butter Flavored Crisco for supper time fish fries. 
Will be nice to tune in vt. Public radio and leave behind Trumps  whiney rants about being unloved!!
Dick

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Jun 22, 2020, 04:57 PM »
The only thing worse than Trump's whining is the people who whine about his whining.  I find they far outnumber him.  He's easy for me to avoid...the second camp, equally whiney, is impossible to avoid. 

Good luck on your trip...

PIKEBAIT

« Reply #10 on: Jun 22, 2020, 05:32 PM »
The only thing worse than Trump's whining is the people who whine about his whining.  I find they far outnumber him.  He's easy for me to avoid...the second camp, equally whiney, is impossible to avoid. 

Good luck on your trip...

You know I never disagree with you
Dick

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2020, 06:59 PM »
You know I never disagree with you
Dick

You know you are more than welcome to Dick.  In other news I am itching to go where you are headed. 

PIKEBAIT

« Reply #12 on: Jun 23, 2020, 06:41 PM »
Looking back.  Did you ever give your old laptop to Perchbait.
I think he is now a college graduate but following another Champlain site.  He and his dad provided some great fish finder stories.
Dick

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Jun 23, 2020, 08:53 PM »
I tried Dick but when I was cleaning the hard drive I created a new admin and somehow set the password to one that was typed incorrectly 2x and I could never figure out the mistake. His dad eventually let me know that he had gained access to one. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.