FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rare Pike Phenomenom (pic)  (Read 6711 times)

OneManArmy

• President, Pike Killers of America Club
Re: Rare Pike Phenomenom (pic)
« Reply #30 on: Aug 11, 2006, 09:09 AM »
Looks like an alligator to me :laugh:

OTIS

« Reply #31 on: Aug 11, 2006, 12:57 PM »
I was always told not to shoot into the water.  Bullets can ricochet off of water easier than any other surface.

But I would imagine shot wouldn't bounce off the water.   Not slob hunting but unsafe hunting.

Correct, shot most likely will not ricochet.  Besides where is the ricochet going to go?  Most likely in the same direction you have been shooting.

sorry man a duck ain't worth no knowing where the shot is going to end up, if you cant grab it then net it :tipup:

You can not legally use any means other than a dog or person to retrieve dead or wounded ducks.  It's in the regs.

Now back to the topic at hand.  Could swimming like this somehow aid the fish with digesting a large meal?  Kind of like something is stuck in it's throat?  Heimlich maneuver for pike?
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

archbishop

« Reply #32 on: Aug 11, 2006, 01:07 PM »
Now back to the topic at hand.  Could swimming like this somehow aid the fish with digesting a large meal?  Kind of like something is stuck in it's throat?  Heimlich maneuver for pike?

maybe like using the water to help push a large meal down his throat ???

OTIS

« Reply #33 on: Aug 11, 2006, 01:09 PM »
That's what I'm guessing.  I've never seen this before, but it sounds like there preoccupied during this type of behavior.  Maybe there trying to breath!
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

fishboy

« Reply #34 on: Aug 11, 2006, 01:18 PM »
They do it all the time in the hatchery. The D.O. is always ample, the feed is always small, so I don't think that's what it is.  I really think you're gonna have a tough time explaining it.  sort of like Why do white bass almost always run towards the boat.  Why do bass jump up ? and Cats go down? But hey what Do I know?  ::)
Swim with the fishes
live with the fishes
act like the fishes
smell like the fishes!

OTIS

« Reply #35 on: Aug 11, 2006, 02:04 PM »
Did you ever have to give the little ones mouth to mouth?  :-\ :P ;)

fishboy

« Reply #36 on: Aug 12, 2006, 09:38 AM »
Sir there's a fish upside down in that tank....Sir...Sir one of the fish is upside down.

He's not dead ...just restin!
Swim with the fishes
live with the fishes
act like the fishes
smell like the fishes!

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #37 on: Aug 12, 2006, 10:51 PM »
Very cool Pict's Grump and Wanabefisherman. I have yet to see pike do that but would like to some time. 8)

I saw a large burbot once going along with it's entire back out of the water but it appeared to be wounded, and the gulls and pelican was hammering on it like crazy.
:pinch:

These pike don't appear to be injured in any way, can't really say why they would do that, possibly scanning the waters surface, lily pads, bullrushes or shoreline for prey, like an alligator or crocodile would? :-\
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

stinklog

« Reply #38 on: Aug 13, 2006, 06:12 PM »
never seen a pike do that  ive seen muskies do it

billybono

• just passin time till first ice!!!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: Aug 13, 2006, 08:15 PM »
actually i saw it today, not a pike though a longnose gar. was in a whirlpool at the dam i fish. the gar were roaming the dam in packs like wolfs. kind of freaked me out to be honest with ya

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms isn't just a government agency...
It's one heck of a party!!

www.myspace.com/billybono

OTIS

« Reply #40 on: Aug 14, 2006, 07:42 AM »
I would see Gar do that type of think often back in New Orleans.  I just figured there a freaky fish anyway, and didn't give it much thought.

buffaloice

« Reply #41 on: Aug 19, 2006, 09:19 PM »
i,as well,have seen muskies do this,i was told they enjoy "sunning"themselves,basically catching some rays...anyone else heard this?

fishnut

« Reply #42 on: Aug 24, 2006, 05:09 PM »
In all the years I have fished for Pike, I have never once witnessed this.  I have seen Pike many times swimming close to the surface(probably an inch or 2 below) but never seen pike swimming on the surface of the water with their mouths open.  Iv'e heard of Muskies "sunning themselves" where they sit on the surface of the water and sun tan.  I haven't heard of Pike doing that though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.