FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Shad  (Read 1805 times)

TightLinesMaine

Shad
« on: Jul 05, 2018, 10:35 AM »
Late Monday afternoon, a friend (tRoutBUm8976 on here) and I met up headed South to fish a large tailwater, the target was Shad.  From when we arrived at about 6:30pm or so, it was literally non stop action for Smallmouth, Shad, and Fallfish (Mostly smallmouth) right up until sunset.  I almost never spin fish anymore, but this spot is probably the one place I still do and actually have as much (or more) fun spin casting opposed to fly fishing; you just can't get the distance you need fly casting from shore. The highlights were the shad of course, together, we hooked about 9 or 10 and landed at least 6 (we each lost a few nice ones).  I also had something extremely powerful break me off as well an hour or so before sunset, the fish hunkered down for about 20 or 30 seconds while on and all of a sudden took a 180* turn on a dime, shot back into the current, screamed my drag, and snapped my 6 lb. test with ease (you gotta fish with somewhat tight drag here or else you're not going to get great hook sets way out far/deep).  Never saw the fish... I actually forgot my net, thank god my friend brought his! I would love to see someone try to tail/handle a shad without a net!!!  ;D  Here's a few pics.

zwiggles

Re: Shad
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2018, 10:47 AM »
That looks like a blast!

seamonkey84

« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2018, 02:28 PM »
Awesome, those Shad sound like a blast. good to hear the fishing has been good for you.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2018, 03:22 PM »
Nice fish, Randall.  I'm glad your shad quest worked out 8)

franklin fisher

« Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 2018, 05:43 PM »
Nice! Cool to see something different on here.

jacksmelt

« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2018, 05:45 PM »
they're on my bucket list. someday.
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2018, 02:25 PM »

They are amazing to liveline for stripers.  The hits on such a large bait are awesome. 

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2018, 12:37 PM »
They are amazing to liveline for stripers.  The hits on such a large bait are awesome.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you'd wanna try that in maine :police:

they're wicked fun & actually not hard to catch (landing them/handling them is harder than hooking 'em), just gotta drive to the coast and pick a productive spot.  Timing is important too, late spring/early summer seems to be the best time.

fishlessman

« Reply #8 on: Jul 10, 2018, 10:48 AM »
too bad the big fish didnt jump, ive hooked big salmon fishing for shad with darts early season during the shad runs. those that never fished big shad are missing out. nice catch

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #9 on: Jul 11, 2018, 10:04 AM »
too bad the big fish didnt jump, ive hooked big salmon fishing for shad with darts early season during the shad runs. those that never fished big shad are missing out. nice catch

yep, while I doubt it was, salmon are in fact possible where I was fishing (i've caught smolts in the same watershed).

I caught a 20"+ football shad last season, one of the craziest battles i've had on a skinny ultra light trout rod.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.