FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lure making  (Read 1467 times)

fredoo

Lure making
« on: Mar 23, 2005, 02:48 PM »
Anyone make their own lures (not sinkers, flies, and jigs) that really work? Were they from household materials? Do they catch fish?

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
Re: Lure making
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2005, 03:06 PM »
I have been wanting to do this for awhile now, but still have not gotten around to it. Here is a cool website that I found that can run you thru the process and sells parts.

http://www.luremaking.com/

Mikepike

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2005, 06:02 PM »
Made one i use for pike: I took an old spoon ( for eating) And cut off the handle. Then i drilled holes on the back and front of the spoon. attach trebles and a clip at front. I have actuallly caught a few pike on it too! I also make my own walleye spinner rigs.

Just waiting for the backcountry laker trip

Hookset

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2005, 02:16 PM »
I pour some of my own plastics, particularly large flukes I use for big bass and pike.  Much softer than traditional store bought baits which translates to better action in the water, and impregnated with garlic.  I have made some hard-bodies baits, but honestly, unless you intend to make a ton, the costs are close to store bought at the individual bait level.  The catalog I use is Lurenet(lurenet.com, I believe).

Do they work?? Yes sir, they do.  Tight lines.
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

Original FISHER Jodoin

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2005, 04:43 PM »
Never made my own anything.. besides putting new skirts on spinners exc.
GIT _ R _ DONE

guzz

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2005, 09:38 PM »
i 've been making wooden plugs for about six years now.stuff for both fresh,and saltwater.mostly topwater stuff,but i make a few swimming plugs as well.plug building season is coming to a close.spend most of the winter months making them so i could spend the warmer months throwing them.i'd post a pic,but without an uploader,i'm not familair with how to do it.it's a very fun,and rewarding hobby.

guzz

big big rdg

« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2005, 12:48 AM »
I heard the jitterbug was invented with a corn cob with the "lips" being aluminum from a can... He cashed in on a succesful lure!
FSHON!

cnyfishing

« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2005, 05:24 PM »
I've only built spinners and buzzbaits besides flys, jigs, and sinkers
"Telephone repair men climb poles fishermen use rods"
      -Gary Loomis
Late to bed, early to rise; fish all day, make up lies.
                  There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

fredoo

« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2005, 04:25 PM »
This is an online book that shows how to make spinners, spoons, live bait harnesses, jigs, spinnerbaitbaits and much more. It's 64 pages and 1mb so it takes A short time to load.  http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/download/canguide-web.pdf

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.