FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Old Glastron 14-foot boat...anybody have experience with these?  (Read 3722 times)

kayak2fish

I have the opportunity to purchase an early 1970s, I think, 14-foot Glastron V-142 outboard with 50 hp motor on a trailer for what I think is a reasonable amount, less than $1,000 anyway. Anybody know anything about these boats and what I need to look for? It appears to be in reasonable shape and was last registered in 2005. I am a bit worried about the integrity of the fiberglass and the motor, which on the surface look pretty fine for a boat older than me. The motor appears to be the original on the boat. I would like to mount some downriggers on this boat and turn it into basically my 1 or 2-man fishing runabout for small to medium size lakes and the mid-Hudson River for stripers. I wouldn't mind altering the thing a bit....e.g. rod holders, downriggers, some sort of canopy style roof, removing the two rear-facing seats...simple things like that.
Any suggestions?

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
Jump on the floor to make sure it's solid. Yank on the transome to make sure it's solid, really yank on the motor if you have to. Have the owner start the motor up. Take the boat on the lake for a lengthy test drive. Make sure the steering is good; I have a new to me boat that I am sinking $1000 for steering fix. For $1000 and a 70's boat, there are going to be problems and repairs, but a good thorough look over and test drive should give you an idea of the condition, Good Luck.

Mike

5-flags

I don't know where you are located, but you might want to check out this link, A lot of nice boats and crazy prices!
http://stores.ebay.com/Boat-Donations-home-of-Boat-Angel

putback

Lot of boats fit that discript around here. $500 to $1500. Some good deals, some guys take it DEEP. I'll second whats above. Check for rotted glass, especially if it has wood core in structure, if removable floor lift it and check real close. NO tight or rough spots in controlls, especially steering, check lower unit for crack repair especially JB weld. Go to a parts web site an check price and availability of common parts like water pump,  ignition coils, etc. And don't hesitate to walk away from the sale, there's plenty more if you look. I've seen some sorry cases. I'm the local guy with the well equipped hobby garage and a lot of buddies towing in some  sorry projects, and some astoundingly incredible deals. Try to be the latter!

kayak2fish

Thanks all. I'm not sure yet. I'll have to go back and take a good look at this thing. I don't want to have to thrown down twice as much as I pay for it to get it on the water. It's not on the water, so a test drive is not an option.

Neptune

Never buy a boat you haven't test driven...even a new one!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.