FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rescue  (Read 3056 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Rescue
« on: Jan 08, 2022, 03:28 PM »
Sitting in the living room and heard a big thump in the kitchen. Looked out to find this poor little female Downey woodpecker had hit our picture window and was passed out on the ground.

Brought her in and wrapped her in a towel for about 45 minutes.

She didn’t look good when I brought her in but she was breathing and her eyes were active. Took a while, but she eventually started squirming around a bit. At one point she got out of the
Towel and landed on my Bride’s IPad.

Took her out and put her in the lilac bush near the feeders and she took right off. I felt bad and great.  I’ve never held a live Downey Woodpecker before. Pretty darned cool.

Win…win for us.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Rescue
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2022, 03:56 PM »
Always said you were a good person….👍
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2022, 04:15 PM »
Seems to be varying opinions on that, but we hope the Downey will  be ok. We’ll know in the next couple days if she comes back to feed.

Wish there was something we could do to stop them from crashing into our picture window….besides moving the feeders.

My Bride loves watching the birds.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2022, 08:15 PM »
Seems to be varying opinions on that, but we hope the Downey will  be ok. We’ll know in the next couple days if she comes back to feed.

Wish there was something we could do to stop them from crashing into our picture window….besides moving the feeders.

My Bride loves watching the birds.

Maybe your windows are too clean.  ;D

When we put new windows under our cathedral ceiling they were so new and clean the birds keep crashing into them.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2022, 08:33 PM »
That's awesome

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2022, 05:18 AM »
My big picture window is always clean. Drives me nuts looking out through a dirty window. We just hope she’s ok. Probably a lot tougher than we think.

filetandrelease

« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2022, 06:14 AM »

The birds kept hitting the porch windows to often so I took some trail marker tape and just used a push tack and it rarely happens now

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2022, 07:20 AM »
Did you just hang a strip?

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2022, 07:35 AM »
Bob they sell reflective tape just for that.
 I have also seen people use the ribbon to wrap presents that’s flashy or reflective..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Bartman44

« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2022, 08:24 AM »
Nice work RG. I have a feeder just outside my living room window and a bird occasionally will graze it but never had one knocked out. I do have a crab apple tree right there too and they usually land on the tree first.

We have the family bird watching contest again this year and it's getting me off the couch while waiting for fishable conditions.  Off to a good start so far with 39 species since the first of the year.     

filetandrelease

« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2022, 09:14 AM »
Did you just hang a strip?
Actually I hung a couple about 12”s long
 By the way good job
I have maple in the front yard with feeders and I deposit some on the ground to , my daughter says I have wild life sanctuary  lol

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2022, 11:05 AM »
I’ll look into the strips. The little bird came back this morning or maybe didn’t leave at all. She’s been hanging around in the lilac near the feeder. Hopping around the tree pretty well but I have yet to see her fly. Hope she recovers.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2022, 02:13 PM »
Well, I went into the kitchen and she was on the feeder eating. Didn’t see her get there, but she kind of nose dived back to the bottom of the lilac. Hope she makes it through the night.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2022, 04:57 PM »
Couldn’t leave her out there with the temps falling into the teens tonight. She never left the lilac. So…….

Went out and just picked her off the tree.
She’s got a second…second chance. I’ll keep her warm tonight and see what tomorrow brings.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2022, 04:34 AM »
She’s very alert this morning. Hopping around the branches I put in the bucket. I’m going to give her a couple days and release her. Supposed to be single digits tonight and tomorrow and then warming up a bit. I don’t want to keep her too long, but I don’t want her to succumb to the cold not being able to get to where the she should be.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.