FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Dumbest thing you've done  (Read 16790 times)

bbkyle35

Re: Dumbest thing you've done
« Reply #45 on: Oct 16, 2008, 10:06 PM »
not me but my friend, wish i had a camera.

fishing a river in spring before the runoff started, to really cold water. He casted to far and hooked a bush on the other side. While yanking and snapping to get it free his rod came apart and slide all the way down the line to the other side. My side split open laughing while he waded across the river.
Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak. ~Ted Nugent

adkbrookie

« Reply #46 on: Oct 17, 2008, 01:56 AM »
shorefishing a pond as it was icing out, casting onto the ice sheet and dragging the lure off into the water, got stuck on the ice, rod came apart while yanking, tip slid out to the lure. if you keep yanking for long enough the hooks work their way out of the ice.

forgot a section of a break down pack rod, nothing ducktape could not fix.

getting up for ice fishing early day after day (tired) and putting the milk on the cereal shelf and the cereal in the refrigerator after eating, or poring the milk into the bowl before the cereal.

pete_fish

« Reply #47 on: Oct 17, 2008, 01:04 PM »
i tell you this much make sure yor anchors not tagled up into your fish gear........ ::)

freshfish

« Reply #48 on: Oct 19, 2008, 10:09 AM »
i tell you this much make sure yor anchors not tagled up into your fish gear........ ::)
:D That's funny dude!
Sorry, I bet it wasn't funny at the time but...

fishfinger

« Reply #49 on: Nov 04, 2008, 11:10 AM »
Out wading the east shore of Oneida lake one night at about midnight. I was about 400 yards off shore, and was fishing at the mouth of the Oneida Creek. I walked on the nice hard sandy bottom, feeling for the edge of the river channel. The ground got real spongy and I knew I was there. So I backed off one step and started fishing in water just over my knees.  Fished for about 15 minutes and realized the water was now up to my belly button. Thought "huh, that's weird" and tried to step backwards, well in doing so I realized that I was stuck in the mud and sliding down into the channel. Each time I moved I sank deeper.  Now I'm starting to get SCARED!  I stood motionless for a minute or two, and thought "how in gods name will I get outta this mess".  The only thing I could think of was fall backward and lay down. Well, it obviously worked. Laying down relieved the weight on my feet. My feet popped out of the mud, and I now had a long thankful walk back to the truck. I had to drive home mostly in the nude to try and warm up being that it was in Nov when I had this mishap.

fishfinger

« Reply #50 on: Nov 04, 2008, 11:29 AM »
Oh, just remembered this one.

Out salmon fishing some time ago in the Tressel pool in Altmar. I'd been fishing for a few hours and was getting ready to leave. While reeling in my last cast I looked down on the surface of the water and saw some fishing line floating. Now, I had the idea in my head that I might be able to get a free hook and sinkers, stupid in hindsight lol.  Well I reeled in, broke my rod down, and grabbed the line. Now this is were my inteligence shows lol. I wind the line, oh about, 10 times around my booger pickin finger and gave a tug.  FISH ON!!! With the initial surge upstream my finger nearly was pulled right off.  Thankfully, the salmon made an about face, and headed back downstream. Now with slack in the line, it came off my finger without much resistance.

Did have a decent day though, above one of my three keepers of that day.  29 lbs.'r

kwikfish23

« Reply #51 on: Nov 13, 2008, 12:15 PM »
i would have to say driving 2 hours to trout fish and getting to the creek and realizing i forgot to put my vest in the fly bag after drying it out.. :P :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:

gonephishin

• I can catch fish in a mud puddle
« Reply #52 on: Nov 13, 2008, 02:43 PM »

Thought it was a good idea once to poke a big bee hive over hanging the stream with my fly rod tip, (I still can't figure that one out)  and along similar lines thought a snapping turtle wouldn't bite the tip of my fly rod clean off. ( I was wrong)

I think these are my favorite...I just laughed out loud at work ;D
Here fishy fishy fishy

walleyeguy

« Reply #53 on: Nov 14, 2008, 08:11 AM »
Out wading the east shore of Oneida lake one night at about midnight. I was about 400 yards off shore, and was fishing at the mouth of the Oneida Creek. I walked on the nice hard sandy bottom, feeling for the edge of the river channel. The ground got real spongy and I knew I was there. So I backed off one step and started fishing in water just over my knees.  Fished for about 15 minutes and realized the water was now up to my belly button. Thought "huh, that's weird" and tried to step backwards, well in doing so I realized that I was stuck in the mud and sliding down into the channel. Each time I moved I sank deeper.  Now I'm starting to get SCARED!  I stood motionless for a minute or two, and thought "how in gods name will I get outta this mess".  The only thing I could think of was fall backward and lay down. Well, it obviously worked. Laying down relieved the weight on my feet. My feet popped out of the mud, and I now had a long thankful walk back to the truck. I had to drive home mostly in the nude to try and warm up being that it was in Nov when I had this mishap.

hahahah that would have been something to explain to a cop if you got pulled over

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #54 on: Nov 14, 2008, 02:43 PM »
Picking up a box of terminal tackle when it wasn't quite closed...

...then playing the game called 500 piece pick up.

Chucker

« Reply #55 on: Nov 14, 2008, 05:45 PM »
Picking up a box of terminal tackle when it wasn't quite closed...

...then playing the game called 500 piece pick up.

That's even more fun on hard water with a little bit of powdery snow on top.  Not that I would know or anything....  :-X

walleyeguy

« Reply #56 on: Nov 14, 2008, 09:09 PM »
yea but its even harder when you go to grab it out of your fishing room and it comes open and all 500 pieces manage to hook themselves into the carpet

brokenline

« Reply #57 on: Jan 06, 2009, 09:52 PM »
going bow fishing and not taking the release off  and arrow  :blink: :blink: another thing that ive done is sitting on a dare devil and asking my buddy to take it out, forgetting to put the plug in and a ton of other things
still waiting on free willy

camocrazy82

• Watch EM'! Watch EM'! GET EM'!
« Reply #58 on: Feb 11, 2009, 04:33 PM »
Dont ever try to see if a lure floats without being tied to something, Dont reach over the 10 fter with both hands (buddy of mine did that) he took a dip.
 Dont go river fishing in Feb when the snow melt has raised the water and your fishing buddy cant paddle a boat for shiite! I jumped out to save the boat and nearly died in the middle of the river. I managed to save the boat and gear though, dont let the same buddy talk you into getting warmed up before heading home( I was colder when I got out of the truck after getting warmed up than I have EVER been)
Dont forget the trolling motor battery when leaving the lake it wont be there long, dont pull a snagged line striaght towards you (A 1/2 once weght hurts like crazy in the chest and going 200 mph)
When holding your lantern up higher to see farther remember whats holding the lantern, dont lip a bass that ate a crank if you arent quick enough, Dont tease snapping turtles all kinds of dumb stuff.

Spin

« Reply #59 on: Mar 04, 2009, 12:18 PM »
  Beaching a 32" king on a gravel bar and then temporarily losing my mind and sticking my thumb and forefinger in it's mouth to yank out the fly. Boy I'll never do that again!!
  2d place,  Kicking out to a boulder on the far side of the stream in Rock Creek Canyon where I fished for awhile I then discovered that I couldn't stretch out far enough to get back in the belly boat. My solution - Extreme Tubing! Put the tube on and then leap in feet first, sorta like a rescue diver hitting the water from a chopper. Worked only I tore a substantial hole in the air bladder and began sinking like the Wreck of the Mary Dear and now shooting down some quite fast and deep water. Like a one legged bullfrog I kicked and flailed a good 25 ft towards shore before becoming a submarine. Dragged my wet carcase out around 60 yards downstream much to my embarrassment and the amusement of a number of onlookers.

Spin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.