FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Maybe I'm too old for a kayak  (Read 5621 times)

taxid

Maybe I'm too old for a kayak
« on: Jun 24, 2018, 03:26 PM »
2 out of 2 now I've become wet getting out of my kayak in shallow water. I guess I can mount a bar to lift myself up? It's tough for a stiff 60 year old to get out of a kayak in a low sitting position to a standing position! Unfortunately this time I brought my cell phone and probably fried it.  :-[. I should have sealed it in a zip lock bag or something.

Anybody else have issues?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
Re: Maybe I'm too old for a kayak
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2018, 03:34 PM »
Put your paddle behind you across the kayak. Reach back with both hands on the paddle and lift yourself out, sliding back over the seat while putting a leg over each side and stand straight up. You'll get it.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2018, 05:58 PM »
Stretching, exercise, Advil, B-complex, D-5000, a good multi vitamin...all part of my daily regime. At 68 I can still get around ...well....like I'm 54 anyway.

Gotta work at staying flexible.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2018, 07:05 PM »
Put your paddle behind you across the kayak. Reach back with both hands on the paddle and lift yourself out, sliding back over the seat while putting a leg over each side and stand straight up. You'll get it.   ;D

O.K. I'll give that a try.

Thanks!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

claymore6

« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2018, 08:17 PM »
I'm a few months from 70. I  used to have the same problem. I use a sit in kayak and have found the best way to get out of the kayak is to get the kayak parallel to the shore as close as you can. Then place the paddle in front of you with one blade over the shore. When you press down on the paddle and raise yourself up into a bent over standing position your weight pins the paddle to the shore and stabilizes the kayak. You can then step out with your shore side foot without tipping by leaning into the shore side. Sounds complicated, but it is just using your weight and the shore to hold the kayak from shifting.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2018, 08:19 PM »
Stretching, exercise, Advil, B-complex, D-5000, a good multi vitamin...all part of my daily regime. At 68 I can still get around ...well....like I'm 54 anyway.

Gotta work at staying flexible.

Rg

Makes sense. Also the cholesteral drug I'm on is supposed to cause stiffness.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2018, 08:20 PM »
I'm a few months from 70. I  used to have the same problem. I use a sit in kayak and have found the best way to get out of the kayak is to get the kayak parallel to the shore as close as you can. Then place the paddle in front of you with one blade over the shore. When you press down on the paddle and raise yourself up into a bent over standing position your weight pins the paddle to the shore and stabilizes the kayak. You can then step out with your shore side foot without tipping by leaning into the shore side. Sounds complicated, but it is just using your weight and the shore to hold the kayak from shifting.
I may try that.

Hitting a laundromat tomorrow so I'll have two more changes of clothes!  ;D

fishinator

« Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 2018, 09:08 PM »
No help on the kayak situation, but shut your phone off and put it in a gallon Ziploc with a cup of uncooked white rice. Leave it for a day in a warm, not hot, place. It has yet to fail me.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Jun 24, 2018, 09:32 PM »
Doing just that although I have no access to heat in the tent.

boondox

« Reply #9 on: Jun 24, 2018, 09:46 PM »
Don't feel bad I sank a yak once.. that's why I solo canoe now.. weight ratings of canoes 800 lb capacity versus a kayak 500  lbs weight limit .. my weight was 460 when i sank it.. no gear just seeing if it would float?? Rough lakes I avoid with a canoe.  There are a few I access with it but forsure not a great lakes boat for weekends.. they dont call it lake saint stupid for nothing..

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #10 on: Jun 25, 2018, 05:04 AM »
Chiropractors and orthopedists are loving the kayak fad.  Starting to see them show up in yard sales like the cast off exercise equipment that sounded like a good idea.  I thought about one for about ten seconds but they seem to be built for little people, weigh as much or more than my canoe, and lack the dry ride, space, and overall stability the canoe has.  Must be some form of masochism that compels people to shove themselves into a plastic box and remain seated for four or five hours.  I figure that's why God made small fishing boats for older, wiser men.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jun 25, 2018, 05:24 AM »
i  love my kayaks!  and i'm a  old  fart , in cooler  weather i'm in the  sit in   in warmer  water i love the  sit on  yes ya get a little  wet but in  warm  weather who cares  also you can  always slip in a   wet suit or  a  pair of  waders ...... few  suggestions  ..... cell phone ....  dry box  ....lets  go threw that again  cell phone ...dry box  ......i personally have  no  issue  getting in and out  i  use the    paddle    or  just grab the  sides  ....set the  kayak up  so you can get to gear comfortably ...get a  kayak that  fits  you ...like  any form of  exercise  start out  slow  ...it's  supposed to be fun  not torture  and  finally   WEAR A LIFE JACKET 
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Spider1

« Reply #12 on: Jun 25, 2018, 05:38 AM »
 I don't know just how wet you're getting but if it gave your phone a dunk, then I guess it's pretty wet. It ain't your age buddy, I'm 56 and don't have a problem. I think it's all a matter of technique. I don't worry so much about getting my feet and legs wet, I figure it's a water sport so no big deal. If the water is cold I will wear a pair of rubber boots, only thing is, if I get into trouble I might have to kick them off in order to swim. Hasn't happened yet and I hope it won't come to that. I usually will bring my kayak sideways into shore or straight on if I know it's very shallow. then I turn toward the side of the kayak and sit with my legs in the water and then stand up like I'm getting up from a chair.

I took a dunking a month or so ago. I was out in a sit in kayak that I got for my grandson and I was moving around trying to get comfortable in the crumby seat it had and I dumped it. My phone was in my pocket. First thing I did was open it up and take out the battery. When I got home I was going to put it in a bag of rice but my wife said that she read that it's not as effective as other methods so I did some research on drying out a phone. Rice was at the bottom of the list. It takes too long to work on a phone that has been totally submerged.

The suggested and best way to do it is to take the phone apart. Remove the battery, sim card and micro sd card. Then vacuum the heck out of it. Wrap your hand around the end of the vacuum to help seal the vacuum to the phone and vacuum out every opening, port, speaker, crack and everything else you can think of on it. Not just for a minute but for half an hour or more.

youngster

• Just Do IT
« Reply #13 on: Jun 25, 2018, 07:04 AM »
 im a month away from 70 and I use spiders method, with my sot predator  I parrell the shore in shallow water  put both legs over  and use paddle for balance to stand. it rolls a little but usually by bottoming out gives the stability need.. whatever you do don't get rushed lol could be ugly... goodluck ;D

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #14 on: Jun 26, 2018, 12:32 PM »
My only question is why so many fishermen on this site don't have waterproof phones? It's been my #1 criteria for a smart phone for the past 3 I've got.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.