FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Two unwanted anglers fishing my ponds after I went on vacation!  (Read 3546 times)

taxid

They look like this:  (Photo from the Internet)

Impressive to see them flutter, dive down at high speed and bring up a large trout. :o Not so impressive when I think of the profit loss.  :'(

No problem though. Trout pond looks like this now (Heavy mono lines across with orange duck tape as tabs to make them visible to the birds). No dive
 bombing since on the trout pond! Up to $20,000 worth of trout in the pond. Just can't let them be used for bird feed.

It looks like I will be erecting a net or shade cloth over the pond next year on steel posts. The lines are very labor intensive to make and install and won't last that long.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

Neat post taxid.  This kinda stuff interests me. 

seamonkey84

Neat post taxid.  This kinda stuff interests me.
Ditto to that. I remeber your post last year about the dye for staining the water and I found that interesting, and how clarity of the water can change the color development of the fish.
I’m sure the fish would appreciate it if you go with the shade cloth. In that open pond it’ll give them some sense of security and needed shade.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

As far as the dye it's not practical for the trout pond of course as it's about 100,000 gallons and that much runs in and out in two days. I was considering it for the larger pond that is not flow through in the fall and spring to enhance their colors, but never got around to it. Now I will be dying that pond for another reason - to make it difficult for the ospreys to see the bluegill, bass, and yellow perch in that pond.

BTW it appears to be true that tiger trout are hardier than even brown trout when it comes to temps and oxygen levels. I was skeptical as they are partly brook trout, which need colder and more oxygenated water than both brown or rainbows. Turns out the last trout species to float up in the pond that gets no well water, and I didn't seine all of them out, are tiger trout. One last night had just freshly died and we are talking July in a pond that is only 9 feet deep!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

Cecil who are your customers?  I know you mount some of these raised trout but typically whos buyin? 

taxid

Cecil who are your customers?  I know you mount some of these raised trout but typically whos buyin?

I actually mount very few of them. My customers are primarily other taxidermists from Hawaii to Maine to Florida to California. I sell many of them by listing them by species, length, and weight on a taxidermy forum. I assign a number for each fish. (See below for Yellow Perch) I also sell a good amount by word of mouth as I've been doing this for about 15 years or more.

Some mount the fish for their showrooms, and state national, and world competitions, and some make replicas out of them. I also have a few that attend a taxidermy workshop in Hinsdale, NH that need specimens. I just came back from there myself, but was primarily learning to cast and mold fish and fish heads.

https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/416690/

Here are a couple of fish that took first place at the the national level that were once swimming around in my pond!

Mickey Bowman, Texas

Frank Kotula, PA

seamonkey84

Wow those are some trophies alright, here in Maine the record yellow perch is 1lb 14oz.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

Wow those are some trophies alright, here in Maine the record yellow perch is 1lb 14oz.

Well they are hand fed, but interestingly many of my big ones don't come up for the pellets anymore but I caught quite a few on a panfish jig this spring.

It was an anomaly as I have not produced one this big since, but the following perch was 5 ounces bigger than our state record. (16 1/4 inches and 2 lbs. 13 oz. Caught her through the ice in February and she probably would have made it to 3 pounds if I had taken her out of the pond a couple months later due to increased egg mass.

lowaccord66

Great stuff thank you.

kfishdoctor

Neat topic and post. Cool birds and I bet they could really hit the pocketbook hard in a short amount of time. And drive you nuts also. A bird everyone wants to see in action except a man called taxid

seamonkey84

This spring I had an interesting morning. I got to see a bald eagle dive for a lake trout that it couldn’t lift out of the water, swim back to shore and drag the fish onto some rocks. Then a few hours later I saw an osprey grab a sizable crappie out of the water.

taxid

The bald eagle actually swam in the water?!  :o

lowaccord66

The bald eagle actually swam in the water?!  :o

Yup ive had the same experience.  Have a video on my phone of one doing it at quabbin.

taxid

I believe you guys it's just that is so cool! Never say never in nature.

Saw a ground hog (woodchuck) swim across one of my ponds once. So ground hogs can live below ground, climb trees, AND swim!

seamonkey84

I actually got it swimming on video, but I stopped filming just before he pulled the fish out and we realized that’s why it was swimming.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.