FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What's your favorite NY opening day???  (Read 4726 times)

slipbob

What's your favorite NY opening day???
« on: Apr 02, 2004, 09:05 AM »
Okay everybody what opening day of what season is your favorite??   Do  you love our April 1st trout opener or our first Sat of May walleye, pike opener or our 3rd Sat of June bass opener.   My fave has to be the 1st Sat of May wally opener.  Because water temps have hit the 50's by then and all species are quite aggressive by then.  Crappie are still prespawn but shallow and easy to catch in wood and walleyes and perch are post spawn and ravenously feeding and the weather is nice too.  I can't wait untill May 1st.  It's real sweet this year because May 1st happens to be a Saturday that's only 28 days from now or 4 weeks you can tell I'm excited and counting it down. ;D

walleye_1

Re: What's your favorite NY opening day???
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2004, 09:11 AM »
I'm excited about May 1st as well but not for the walleye opener. Can you say SPRING TURKEY SEASON!! ;D I'm thinking a bird in the morning and some walleyes in the afternoon. Now that's what you call a good day!

bigdave1018

« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2004, 09:24 AM »
amen to turkeys and may 1 pike opener.

oakorchardfishking

• "Another satisfied WNY union member."
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2004, 09:40 AM »
god bless opening day of walleye season!  ;D

FrankM

« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2004, 11:28 AM »
Opening day of Walleye is THE opening day as far as I'm concerned.  We usually hit Chautauqua and start trolling stickbaits at 12:01 AM.  Historically we would limit out by sunrise but last year was terrible.  We fished Chautauqua on 4 different nights throughout May and had to work all night just to catch 1 or 2.   Anybody have any ideas for Walleye opener this year?
Kool Aid Kool Aid, Tastes Great, Wish we had some, can't wait.

Penguin

« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2004, 12:16 PM »
Walleye, without a doubt. I don't fish for trout anymore, too many goofies out there beating the water to a froth for stockies that taste like cardboard. Forget bass. The smallmouth are a lot of fun, but I catch all I want when I'm fishing for panfish and 'eyes.
Fishing - it's more than a hobby, it's a lifestyle!

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2004, 12:51 PM »
IN MY OPINION

First hunting openers are more important to me that of fishing openers. But for fishing the Pike opener is my favorite, Trout fishing opener is important because of tradition. The Bass opener is growing on me because I am started to really like fishing for them.

In hunting its a toss up between turkey and bow hunting as my favorite openers. I love both very much.

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

Utes

« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2004, 09:08 PM »
Turkey and Walleye, not necesarily in that order ;D

iceice

• FISH HARD
« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2004, 10:26 PM »
TO be in a treestand one hour before daylight on October 15 is the deal for me.just ahead of the dozen or so outdoor sports I live for.
2005 17FT LUND MR PIKE                                                                                       
 90hp MERCURY OPTIMAX
WALKER DOWNRIGGERS
JUST ADD WATER!!!

wkules

• Lookin' for EYES !!!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2004, 11:56 PM »
I was going to say Walleye of course! BUT, I must admit the idea of being on the lake by 1:00 pm with a bird in the freezer does sound like heaven!!
When the tip dips......PULL !!!!
Wayne

hosscletuslulu

• PERCHPULLER
« Reply #10 on: Apr 03, 2004, 07:22 AM »
Opening of shotgun season for deer is mine always brings back past memories of being in the field with friends and relatives especially dear departed grampa who got me started hunting and fishing

fishfinder2004

« Reply #11 on: Apr 03, 2004, 02:32 PM »
the first day that the lakes freeze up.

wny angler

« Reply #12 on: Apr 03, 2004, 08:59 PM »
the northern pike opener is my favorite-been fishing silver lake opening day for years .i'll be on c_-_-_s lake this year the fish are bigger  ;)

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2004, 10:34 PM »
Trout opener would get my vote. Not so much for the species or the April fool's weather that always seems to come our way, but for the time of year. To me it is a hearlding of spring with more good things to come . . .

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #14 on: Apr 04, 2004, 09:23 AM »
As of now my all time favorite for hunting is deer.

As far as fishing goes I get equally excited about trolling for smallmouths on Lake Ont. as I do ripping a buzzbait across the shallows for pike on May 1st.

Havn't gotten into the eyes yet, don't really know how.
Harold

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.