FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: erie walleye  (Read 8309 times)

Angola Fish

Re: erie walleye
« Reply #15 on: Jun 15, 2007, 07:17 AM »
Gotta love catchin em without all the bull. Straight line no boards ect. we got five last night but the best ones came off long lines not dipseys or boards. Ahh just like the old days
I hear you.  When I first started fishing them "chugging irons" were the latest technology.  It is great not to have to take tons of equipment and being able to fish with the shoreline still in view.
My fish are all the same size - bite size

FrankM

« Reply #16 on: Jun 15, 2007, 11:17 AM »
That is great to hear.  Nothing beats holding the rod and being able to feel the bite.  Dipseys, planer boards and downriggers will all put fish in the boat but its not the same as bouncing a worm harness off the bottom and feeling Mr. Walleye pick up the bait.
Truth is stranger than fiction, Judgy Wudgy

doctariAFC

« Reply #17 on: Jun 15, 2007, 02:39 PM »
I have to agree as well.  Much more rewarding to hold that rod and detect the strike.

Report for yesterday.  Hit the water around 6:30 AM.  Good weather, calm winds, light seas.  Fished @ 60' depths from the stacks west towards Van Buren.  Marked a ton of fish, but couldn't get bit to save our butts.  Doctor changed up programs so often he ran out of options.  Both fish we landed took a black and purple harness, worked off the boards, 7 color lead set back to the knot.  Missed 6, all but one off the lead run off the boards.  The other of the rigger, after I popped it when running over a great school.  Suckered one into slamming, but it dropped the stickbait 3/4 of the way to the boat.

Fish were both @ 4 - 5 lb.  Lots of fish marked, but the eyes got the better of us yesterday.
"Beer is the living proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

perchwisher

• nice one!!!
« Reply #18 on: Jun 17, 2007, 12:50 PM »
Was out of south gap yesterday 6 fish one that weighed in at 7.88 lbs all copper watermelon spinners 20ft jets 180 back only fishing two rods i have a small boat.Things got pretty choppy by the time we called it quits.
JUST ONE LAST CAST!

tracker 1

« Reply #19 on: Jun 17, 2007, 04:37 PM »
Was out last night with new (old) motor, and ran out to the same spot, motor was great! fished from 230 till 8 ,caught 6 20 jets again and copper watermellon spinner and worm rigs.everything was great till the run back motor wouldnt go above 7 mph back to silver lake marine

What is a jet?

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

Angola Fish

« Reply #21 on: Jun 18, 2007, 05:59 AM »
Was out of south gap yesterday 6 fish one that weighed in at 7.88 lbs all copper watermelon spinners 20ft jets 180 back only fishing two rods i have a small boat.Things got pretty choppy by the time we called it quits.
Choppy it was.  I took a Dad and his two sons out yesterday and had my hands full.  Between the near-zero fishing experience of the three, the 5-6 foot waves, lines off the boat....it got crazy out there for a while.  We did the Sturgeon Point to Meyers troll in 40 - 38 FOW using harnesses and picked up three 'eyes and a jumbo perch.

FrankM

« Reply #22 on: Jun 18, 2007, 09:06 AM »
Angola Fish, based on your post from last week my son and I gave it a try yesterday afternoon.  The wind was too fast and the rollers too big to troll accurately but once we decided to drift we duplicated your results.  6 walleyes and 2 perch in 2 hours.   We were drifting in 36 fow off 18 mile creek.  It was a rough ride but excellent drifting.  Just like the old days bouncing a 2 oz sinker along the bottom with a chartreuse night crawler harness.  You could feel Mr. Walleye slurping up your bait.  It was a great day and it seemed like we had the whole lake to ourselves. 
Truth is stranger than fiction, Judgy Wudgy

Angola Fish

« Reply #23 on: Jun 18, 2007, 11:26 AM »
Angola Fish, based on your post from last week my son and I gave it a try yesterday afternoon.  The wind was too fast and the rollers too big to troll accurately but once we decided to drift we duplicated your results.  6 walleyes and 2 perch in 2 hours.   We were drifting in 36 fow off 18 mile creek.  It was a rough ride but excellent drifting.  Just like the old days bouncing a 2 oz sinker along the bottom with a chartreuse night crawler harness.  You could feel Mr. Walleye slurping up your bait.  It was a great day and it seemed like we had the whole lake to ourselves. 
Frank - it is good to hear from you.  It sounds like you made the right move when you decided to drift.  We went back to the marina yesterday afternoon and noticed that the lake was a little calmer than before.  IceTrekker and I will hit the Big E tonight in hopes of adding to the freezer.  This will be my last chance to sneak out for a while so I have to jump at the opportunity.     

blaque

« Reply #24 on: Jun 18, 2007, 11:45 AM »
Hit it as well on Sunday and laughed at myself for even trailering the boat down to the Small Boat Harbor lol. I knew it was gonna be rollin, but obvously went out anyway.....wanted to hit out by woodlawn and teh windmills but caution got the best of me, I drifted straight out off the south gap and got nothing for my efforts. Saw a lot of BIG boats turn around after getting outside the gap. Didnt take long before i took a slow ride to hide behind the outer wall off the north gap. At this point, i was just sunning myself......hooked the odd smallmouth and a monster sheephead. Oh well.....not many more days we'll be able to get them (eyes) on the drift. I also LOVE the simplicity of just holdin the rod and driftin thru em'!!! Alot cheaper too!! :o

storminnorman

« Reply #25 on: Jun 18, 2007, 01:57 PM »
I've been out 3 times last week ,out of hamburg and caught walleye everytime in 30' FOW bottom bouncing . ( 11 total ) all fish were caught on black and purple harness. i have a small boat and fish 2 rods. and all came off the one pole . the other pole i would mix up colors and to no avail could not catch a single fish on that.

hubcap

« Reply #26 on: Jun 19, 2007, 04:39 AM »
did well off the windmills Saturday morning with worms.  Nothing over 5lbs. (except sheephead, and a musky.)  walleyes were all good eaters.

Angola Fish

« Reply #27 on: Jun 19, 2007, 05:20 AM »
We hit the beach last evening again trying the Sturgeon Pt. to Meyers run and got skunked.  We tried long-lining harnesses and had only one hit.

lund

« Reply #28 on: Jun 19, 2007, 08:11 AM »
are the stacks ny in dunkirk so you guys are getting the eyes in ny realy good does anyone get them out in northeast by like twenty mile creek

stickyfingerdpuppeteer

« Reply #29 on: Jun 21, 2007, 09:12 AM »
lund the stacks are the chimny pipes coming out of the niagra mowhawk power plant in dunkirk ny,straight of the stacks in verying depths has always been a hot spot for yellow pike a.k.a walleyes. the stacks on some days can be seen for miles.Making it a great land mark.good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.