FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: crappie  (Read 5713 times)

fishman

crappie
« on: Mar 22, 2009, 11:05 AM »
ok, i know i will not get any locations (but if you would like to share, feel free, just don't taunt me with big lakes cause i have only a canoe) so this is more of a general question.  do you use light or ultra light gear when fishing for these fish?  i was planning on trying some local areas with minnows on hooks and small jigs under a bobber but wasn't sure which rods to use.  oh, and if anybody really wants to share their techniques, Dave Figura at Post Standard/syracuse.com wants to do a story about techniques, says he won't divulge any locations http://blog.syracuse.com/outdoors/2009/03/wanted_a_successful_cny_crappi.html (just as an FYI). 
thanks,
Fishman
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\\\\\\\'d be a shortage of fishing poles

Spikehorn11

Re: crappie
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2009, 12:43 PM »
It's no secret that Toad Harbor on Oneida lake is gret for crappies. I usually get them on minnows under a bobber. But the down side is the place gets packed and can be very "roudy and rude". I want to enjoy and relax instead of being annoyed by people.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2009, 12:56 PM »

My crappie rods are 7 1/2 ft ultra lite Eagle Claw's with 6 lb test line.I always start out with minnows and if they are hitting well I switch to a beetle spin or crappie jig.  My favorite spots are the Erie canal or Black Lake. Lake Morane is a good spot but they seem to run small.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2009, 07:30 AM »
I have caught them as the ice was coming off of the river that I fish for them and the temp was only 36- 37Deg. Anytime of day can be productive. I prefer Mornings but when colder than the Avg high, afternoon till Dark.
I have them down pretty good and I don't need to go anywhere but where I fish. I would like to try my technique on diffrent body's of water. I do know that what I does works on Oneida lake.
I like to keep four top colors in my Crappie box for 1/32 jig heads are.
1. Orange
2. Pink
3. Glow
4. Yellow
Bonus White.
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2009, 11:40 AM »
It's no secret that Toad Harbor on Oneida lake is gret for crappies. I usually get them on minnows under a bobber. But the down side is the place gets packed and can be very "roudy and rude". I want to enjoy and relax instead of being annoyed by people.
Rowdy and rude you say, Me and my buddies will have to check this place out at least once. We know how to fish with goons! Just wish I was still drinking! What do you need to bring with you besides rods, baseball bat! Sounds like the old Salmon river days!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

scottcny

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2009, 12:16 PM »
snag---
Bring a wide selection of 40 oz. malt liquer, you can probably bribe your way into some of the best spots!!!

orangegill

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2009, 12:29 PM »

snag---
Bring a wide selection of 40 oz. malt liquer, you can probably bribe your way into some of the best spots!!!
:o WOW NOT STERYIOTYPING R WE  :o

ICE ADDICT

« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2009, 12:37 PM »
 :o WOW NOT STERYIOTYPING R WE  :o

TRUTH HURTS!!!
We all believe in something,...I believe I'll go fishin'....

orangegill

« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2009, 12:56 PM »

TRUTH HURTS!!!
AGREE, BUT THANK GOD FOR BOATS, NICE SHORE SPOTS GET CROWDED FAST.ESPECIALLY WITH THE UNEMPLOYMENT RATE EVEN HIGHER...... ;D FORGET ABOUT IT......IAM GOING TO HELL

Pequod1

« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2009, 03:14 PM »
For some stupid reason crappies fascinate me. I just really found them last year in Honeoye. Best set up for me was a 1/32 glow jig on a slip bobber with 4lb. test. I never got them to go for minnows in Honeoye, probably because the bass always got to them first.

Deadeyez

• Oneida Lake Diehard
« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2009, 04:36 PM »
Couple of m-80s and the old thunder stick will get u a spot of your choice. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Nice job findin em

percher

« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2009, 05:10 PM »
Anyone know if Honeoye is fishable from the state launch yet? Anyone getting crappies yet there?
Thanks

howesfc

« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2009, 06:58 PM »
6 1/2' UL Pole & UL Reel, 4 lbs test Line,Slip Bobber,1/16 oz Jig & Fathead Minnow.

BUCKEYES

« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2009, 08:10 PM »
catch them through the ice and you beat the Malt Liquor crew!! TOO COLD!

scottcny

« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2009, 08:44 PM »
I've been fishing up there for 20 years.....I call em' as I see them! I saw a guy once leave his baby unattended to walk 50 yards away to the cooler to get another 40! I've seen guys hit there kids AND there wives/ girlfriends there.....black, white, yellow, a scum bag is a scum bag! If these guys would just drink at home there would be plenty of room for the rest of us!

Off the soap box..

Been getting a few good perch up at the locks in Phoenix, small bucktail with spikes dragged on the bottom real slow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.