FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Susky Walleye Guys?  (Read 12177 times)

Stormy_NY

Re: Susky Walleye Guys?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2010, 09:12 AM »
I had know idea....... A whole new world is opening up to me .......

Corporal Punishment

« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2010, 09:16 AM »
That is a huge walleye Sluggo,is that the biggest anyone ever caught in this area,that you have heard of.... ???

Sluggo / NY

« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2010, 10:17 AM »
That's the biggest I've heard of from around here. She weighed in at 13.4 on a certified scale. What made her special to me was... considering all the time I spend fishing "big walleye" waters.. Lake Erie, Ontario, Bay of Quinte... my biggest came about a mile from my house! Maybe I should sell the big boat and stick around here!
Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Corporal Punishment

« Reply #18 on: Mar 18, 2010, 03:02 PM »
Yep,thats officially the biggest I ever seen caught in this area with pics!!!But have heard tales of 40 inch walleyes caught over the years,but we prolly both know what that story is all about.... ::)

Corporal Punishment

« Reply #19 on: Mar 18, 2010, 03:13 PM »
I know that walleye season is closed right now but when it is open season, is there any good walleye fishing around the conklin area.  Im new to the area and never fished strictly for walleye before and would like to start.
\

Not sure about that area,but theres walleye all through the susky.Just gotta find there holding spots,and then out-smarting them,and its not as hard as people think!!!Put a tempting bait in front of them they will bite,it takes time to learn to be a walleye king.....But finesse is always the key for me,dont be the one that uses 20# test line and can only cast 20 feet...... :o  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

kappydick

« Reply #20 on: Mar 22, 2010, 07:48 PM »
I know that walleye season is closed right now but when it is open season, is there any good walleye fishing around the conklin area.  Im new to the area and never fished strictly for walleye before and would like to start.

If you want to see some big walleye then take a walk along the banks of snake creek where it dumps into the Susqy. That creek will be full of walleye right now. If you have a boat you can launch down at sandy beach and fish from there down to Tompkins street bridge pay alot of attention around the train tressel just below sandy beach. There are also numerous holding pools in the area of the conklin park all the way up to stillwater. GL

iceplank

« Reply #21 on: Mar 23, 2010, 12:00 PM »
i have gotten my biggest eyes out of ontario where i grew up. residing in albany since 93 i fish the mohawk hard but i will finally get down to susky this year for sure. the 2 hour trip will be worth it i think.its seems you guys get alot of fish in the summer too. the mohawk being part of the canal system can be crushed with boat traffic after mid june. i know guys on this site have given me good info on finding smallies and eyes off shore down there..cant wait till may.

Corporal Punishment

« Reply #22 on: Mar 23, 2010, 12:17 PM »
i have gotten my biggest eyes out of ontario where i grew up. residing in albany since 93 i fish the mohawk hard but i will finally get down to susky this year for sure. the 2 hour trip will be worth it i think.its seems you guys get alot of fish in the summer too. the mohawk being part of the canal system can be crushed with boat traffic after mid june. i know guys on this site have given me good info on finding smallies and eyes off shore down there..cant wait till may.

Mid-summer is the worst time to get them if its been really hot out.Wasnt to bad last year,had alot of rain to keep the river cooler.If ya use stone-cats you pretty much can get them anytime in the heat.

I would love to take the Jet up to Oswego river for there giant "spring-run" Walleye with a cooler full of stone-cats!!

Sluggo / NY

« Reply #23 on: Mar 23, 2010, 03:39 PM »
CP.. We did the Oswego "thing" a couple of times. What a zoo! The river only produces at night. It a procession of boats just flat-lining from the mouth to the first bridge.. then back. Too narrow to run boards.. plus you've got guys fishing from the wall! Not my kind of fishing! (there are some big walleye there though)
Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)  Oh.. You can go out and troll along the breakwall too. You just have to contend with the driftboats that aren't required to run lights!

Corporal Punishment

« Reply #24 on: Mar 23, 2010, 03:59 PM »
CP.. We did the Oswego "thing" a couple of times. What a zoo! The river only produces at night. It a procession of boats just flat-lining from the mouth to the first bridge.. then back. Too narrow to run boards.. plus you've got guys fishing from the wall! Not my kind of fishing! (there are some big walleye there though)
Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)  Oh.. You can go out and troll along the breakwall too. You just have to contend with the driftboats that aren't required to run lights!

Yea the night bite is on up there from what I read,but maybe there just un-skilled at the daytime bite.They still gotta be sitting out there in the channel during the day,and with that many large walleye if ya get a stone-cat in front of its mouth maybe it will bite.Has to be a better chance than drifting a hole in the susky for a lunker.I don't ever night fish here except for cats sometimes.....

You ever fish up there during the day-light hours,if so is it still a zoo?

FuzzyGrub

« Reply #25 on: Mar 23, 2010, 05:55 PM »
CP,

I hope to do a Nichols to PA border drift this year.   Probably late May or early June.   Leave the key in the jet, will you?  ;)
If it bends my rod, I'm a happy man...

Corporal Punishment

« Reply #26 on: Mar 23, 2010, 06:56 PM »
CP,

I hope to do a Nichols to PA border drift this year.   Probably late May or early June.   Leave the key in the jet, will you?  ;)

Any time FG!!!!Better invite me in the Jet though,prolly will cut the learning time in this area........ ;)

They did put a boat-launch in at Barton last year,but the fishing sucks in that whole area,unless you are maybe a cat-fisherman!!!!Just a mile South of that is a different story in PA........

Corporal Punishment

« Reply #27 on: Mar 23, 2010, 07:11 PM »
Sayre to Ulster is the ultimate drift for the best fishing that I ever found on the susky over the years!!!!!! :o

iceplank

« Reply #28 on: Mar 23, 2010, 07:14 PM »
Yea the night bite is on up there from what I read,but maybe there just un-skilled at the daytime bite.They still gotta be sitting out there in the channel during the day,and with that many large walleye if ya get a stone-cat in front of its mouth maybe it will bite.Has to be a better chance than drifting a hole in the susky for a lunker.I don't ever night fish here except for cats sometimes.....

You ever fish up there during the day-light hours,if so is it still a zoo?
guys drift crawlers off the wall all day long. its not as good as night but i have seen 10 plus pound fish during the day. i got my first eye ever at 7 pm in late june. 7.25 pound in 1992.i have tried in the boat during day  but it sucks. i think they stack up against wall to get out of sun druing day. a crawler bounced with shot works. i just so easier to fish at night when they are suspended and hitting plugs. if you fish wall above 104 bridge at night no boats go up that far. just dont expect numbers in this river. there are ontario places where u can get numbers but if peoople knew about them you wouldnt anymore. DONT BE AFRAID TO HEAD UP IN JUNE!!!! the place empties out, and depending on the coolness of the spring,  i have had a number of limits off the wall around the bass opener. as posted before the mouth is insane in may,nuts!!!!! Yeah and riverboats without lights! even if its legal why the hell would you do that with all the other boats around ???

Corporal Punishment

« Reply #29 on: Mar 23, 2010, 08:25 PM »
guys drift crawlers off the wall all day long. its not as good as night but i have seen 10 plus pound fish during the day. i got my first eye ever at 7 pm in late june. 7.25 pound in 1992.i have tried in the boat during day  but it sucks. i think they stack up against wall to get out of sun druing day. a crawler bounced with shot works. i just so easier to fish at night when they are suspended and hitting plugs. if you fish wall above 104 bridge at night no boats go up that far. just dont expect numbers in this river. there are ontario places where u can get numbers but if peoople knew about them you wouldnt anymore. DONT BE AFRAID TO HEAD UP IN JUNE!!!! the place empties out, and depending on the coolness of the spring,  i have had a number of limits off the wall around the bass opener. as posted before the mouth is insane in may,nuts!!!!! Yeah and riverboats without lights! even if its legal why the hell would you do that with all the other boats around ???

I believe it,and the wall would do good with crawlers!!!!!Just the best live bait (for walleye) is stone-cats..........They dont use them up there "to actually know that",cause they dont sell-em there IMO!!!!!! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.