FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Black Creek/Churchville Park  (Read 11941 times)

FarginIcehole

Black Creek/Churchville Park
« on: Jul 04, 2004, 02:54 PM »
hey fellas, i put my new rig in this creek for a test run, looks to me like a bass and pike honey hole. i would like to hear some success stories from this place.i explored it from the dam in town all the way to route 19.saw several blue herons muskrats and even a whitetail buck in velvet. very pretty waterway,is live minnows the trick for northerns????       Fargin

Back_Slider

Re: Black Creek/Churchville Park
« Reply #1 on: Jul 04, 2004, 07:28 PM »
I don't know Black Creek from a cat's rearend. But what kind of new rig did you get? Enlighten us.

I'm not aware of such a thing as a northern that won't take a live minnow before anything else. I've also had good luck with floating gold and silver Rapala's weighted about 18 in. up the line. Tie a loose loop in the eye of the Rapala so the leader doesn't kill the action.   20 lb. mono works fine for the leader -- it's softer than steel, doesn't necessitate a snap swivel at the lure, and doesn't kill the lure's action like steel does.   15 lb mono works also, but you have to replace it occasionally.

FarginIcehole

« Reply #2 on: Jul 04, 2004, 07:44 PM »
well if it isnt my good buddy back slider, listen to you typing away like you know what your talking about.how have you been??? i stole a boat from a kodak guy who was liquidating everything,he is not sure how long he will be around there.i bought a package, 2000 lowe sea nymph,14 ft, 25hp johnson,electric start tiller,50 pound minn kota bow mount,and a humminbird fish finder. the motor is still in the break in period $3700.00. told you i stole it!!!! now i can get skunked from shore or from a boat.i am going to try to get it to oneida lake,i have been hearing guys complain they have to sort thru 35 walleyes to get thier limit. i want problems like those. see you all on the water.   Fargin

Show me the money

« Reply #3 on: Jul 04, 2004, 08:02 PM »
never fished out of a boat in black creek, but have caught lots of pike & bass from shore above the d**n. also lots of smallmouth lower side. going to fish lake ontario on monday for smallmouth if weather is ok, good luck with the boat

Chucker

« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2004, 05:00 PM »
Some monster northerns come out of Black every year.....  I've taken the canoe from the park u to 19 and back a few times.  Didn't fish much, as I spent most of the time looking around.  Lots of snappers and carp, but higher up, the stream gets lots of shade, so it cools a bit.  There are also some gravel patches closer to 19 that are crawling with craws.

lumberjohn

« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2004, 01:54 PM »
According to Sander's Fishing Guide here's the skinny on Black Creek.
The best fishing is found in the wide, lower section near it's confluence with the Genesee River. In the summer, particularly from the middle of June to late July, the lower section of the creek occassionally produces good walleye fishing. Small jigs in combination with worms work well on these fish, particularly in the evening. Bullhead, panfish and northern pike are also common in this section of the stream. A fair number of largemouth bass, smallmouth bass and northern pike are distributed throughout the middle and upper portions of the creek. The section of the creek accessible from Churchville Park provides good fishing for largemouth bass and northern pike. This section of Black Creek is best fished from a small boat or canoe.

Hope that helps you get started catching some fish in that new boat. Enjoy.

FarginIcehole

« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2004, 07:30 AM »
thanks john,i am gonna check amazon for that book.

lumberjohn

« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2004, 11:00 AM »
I found it in a local book store here in Auburn. But you can also get it here.
http://www.sandersfishingguides.com/

Chucker

« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2004, 04:28 PM »
Fargin, if you'd like to pick up a copy locally, Carl Coleman's shop should  have one or two on the shelf.

water_wolf

« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2004, 09:29 AM »
Hey Fargin,
I used to fish every pike opener there for about 10 years straight.  We always did real well, some decent size pike (from 28"-39").  Haven't fished it for a couple of years, but some of my buds still go there first Saturday in May.  They did pretty good this year, about 15 fish with the biggest around 35".

When  I fished it we would catch sucker chubs and horned dace's in Spring Creek and use them for bait.  Others have used chubs and shiners but the natural sucker and horned dace seemed to work best.

We did most of our fishing above the park near the backside of the public golf course.  Look for downed tree tops and such.  We always did well there.  Also head toward the falls under the Rte 36 bridge and fish the corners of the bends.

I have never fished it past open weekend but it gets real choked up with weeds during the summer.

FarginIcehole

« Reply #10 on: Jul 16, 2004, 12:44 PM »
thanks wolf,being a caledonia guy i know where to get them horned dace in oatka,weed or no weeds i am gonna sit near the golf course and let them minnows swim.my friend fishes pike chubs on a rattle jig and he says the northerns get upset.    Fargin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.