FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Dead smallies!!  (Read 4068 times)

slipbob

Dead smallies!!
« on: Jul 22, 2004, 11:01 AM »
Here's an interesting article from our paper today about a big bass kill in Lake Ontario from what appears to be a tempertature inversion.
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=268593&category=LEBRUNOUT&BCCode=&newsdate=7/22/2004

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Dead smallies!!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2004, 05:43 PM »
I saw lots of evidence of this fish kill last Monday out of Irondequoit Bay. Many large bass...2 1/2 - 4 lbs floating. Fishing was terrible for this time of year as well.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

eyedoktr

« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2004, 05:51 AM »
RG, should I be sad ??    Nw we just have to figure out a way to kill a bunch of largemouths, especially in Honeoye. :)
Pete Lewis

bigdave1018

« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2004, 06:03 AM »
yo eyeguy,if you are a bass fisher yes be sad, instead of being an idiot with nothing else to say!!!!!!!!!!!!

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2004, 07:27 AM »

if you are a bass fisher yes be sad, instead of being an idiot with nothing else to say!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigdave,  This is a bad reply to a joke that Eyedoc made.  Did you see the  ;D after his post  >:( .  Just thought I'd say something cuz your usually helpful on things.

Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

water_wolf

« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2004, 07:28 AM »
yo eyeguy,if you are a bass fisher yes be sad, instead of being an idiot with nothing else to say!!!!!!!!!!!!

Easy there big guy...I think the good "doc" was just joshing...note the smily face at the end of his post...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2004, 08:10 AM »
Dave,
Eyedocktr and I kid each other about bass fishing all the time. It's no secret he's a walleye fanatic.

Pete...you're still an anti-bassite.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2004, 10:42 AM »
One good thing about those Die hard Bass finatic's is that they leave all the Non trash fish for us.  And Bigdave thinks we're the Idiots??  ;D ;) ;D

Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

bigdave1018

« Reply #8 on: Jul 24, 2004, 07:16 AM »
id like to apoligize to the eye guy but i think more positive input is needed and less killing thoughts on sensetive subjects. commorants have little or no use,they need to be controlled. the moderators in here need to moderate everyone and RG , i wasnt just targeting you.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Jul 24, 2004, 02:37 PM »
Back to the subject...
I spoke with a NY Fish and Wildlife Tech III at our shop the other day about the fish kill and unfortunately he had no information for me other than it's a common occurrence on Lake Ontario.

This is my understanding of the scenario;
Apparently, after the lake warms to 65+ degrees in shore and we have a sustained Southerly wind, the warmer water is pushed offshore and is replaced by substantially colder water. The fish that die off are mostly already weakened by injury or age.  Some are actually late breeders still trying to spawn. Healthy fish will follow the  warmer water and return as the lake sets up again.

"The Old Man" ( my fishing mentor) was catching bass 50' to 100' down over 120' to 250' while tolling for trout and salmon of Rochester so I guess the theory holds true.

Any Biologists out there to confirm this?

RG

perchslayer25

« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2004, 06:31 PM »
I dont know who says that this is a bad thing the way the water flipped for the bass fisherman....This is actually very good thing because it pushes the bass into the Harbor and all the ports along the lake making the bass fishing very well in these areas...and when the water flipps the fish only go deeper.....And the ones that die are the ones that werent strong enough to make or the ones that were getting old...And abbout the walleye...I say belly up with them all....You catch them and hang them...there good for nothing...unless you eat them..Bass fishing is the most well known type of fishing...How can you say bellly up with them alll?
If your electronics don't say MarCum then you're already too far behind me to catch up!

Mudbug

« Reply #11 on: Jul 25, 2004, 08:55 PM »
Here's why the bass croaked. A golf course on the lake dumped too much weed killer on the greens. It was washed into the lake when the greens keeper realized that too much poison was dumped on the grass. He over watered the greens to wash down the weed killer before it ruined the greens. Then it rained. The night crawlers that lived at the course were full of the weed killer and were washed into the lake where the bass ate them and croaked.

bigdave1018

« Reply #12 on: Jul 26, 2004, 05:58 AM »
hey mudbug it happened to cazenovia lake 1 spring thaw so your therory sounds right to me.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Jul 26, 2004, 02:22 PM »
Mudbug...Here we go again.. ::)

d**n those evil greenskeepers....and I thought their most horrible mischief was the ugly Sunday pin placements....now it's poison worms with bad attitudes on  a Kamikaze mission.

Poor fish don't stand a chance :P
RG

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #14 on: Jul 26, 2004, 02:49 PM »
I was just going down the list and noticed the thread title, so i had to read it. That is very, very strange. I hope the US fish and Wildlife doesn't read this so they can kill all my smallmout bass and pike in the yampa just so the stupid suckers can live like they are already doing!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.