FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Boat engine problems need mechanic  (Read 6641 times)

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
Boat engine problems need mechanic
« on: Aug 29, 2004, 10:19 AM »
Just bought a used boat and the guy said it runs great, yea  :-[ . I hooked it up to the hose and the engine ran just fine, BUT there appears to be a bad oil leak from the lover unit. I ordered a repair manual for the engine and it should be here next week, BUT not sure if I want to have and headaches and pull my hair to repair it myself.  :P
Looking for a good boat engine repair place around the Saratoga area, please! I've heard horror stories about getting old outboards fixed and don't want to be the one dishing out my lives saving. Any help on a good reliable boat engine repairer would be GREATLY APPRESEATED.   :-\
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Jigwiggler

Re: Boat engine problems need mechanic
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2004, 11:23 AM »

Camo, if there are no visual cracks in the lower unit 9 X's out of 10 it is just the seal behind the prop.  Easy fix and usually no more than 15 bucks if you do it yourself.  Either way it is a good idea to check it again before winter because any water that might get in can mix with your oil can freeze and crack the case.  Good luck!  Have no fear, you'll have her out on the water soon.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

camo_fish

« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2004, 11:38 AM »
She is leaking from where the shifter rod goes into the lower unit on the back of the motor. The rubber seal is cracked and ripped. How easy is that to repair.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2004, 12:08 PM »
She is leaking from where the shifter rod goes into the lower unit on the back of the motor. The rubber seal is cracked and ripped. How easy is that to repair.

Every motor I've ever had the shifter rod entered the lower unit internally.  If yours is external then you may have to drop the lower unit to replace the seal.  Even so, it should not be a complicated job.  Unhooking the shifter rod is usually the hardest part but, with yours being external that should be a breeze.  Consult with where ever you get your seal from and make sure you don't need any others that may get damaged during disassembly or repair.   Then the best thing you can do is call a couple buddies over, pick up a couple cases of beer and tear into it.  ;D

camo_fish

« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2004, 05:15 PM »
Yea, not sure what the rod is but all I know is that it is leaking like a pig and I'm hoping that replacing the rubber gasket/seal, or what ever it is. But, before I go tearing it a part I'm going to wait for the repair book to come or unless I can get my hands on the schematics of a 1974 Merc 650.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2004, 05:43 PM »
I was looking at the pics of your boat and can't see the rod in question.  I really can't say without seeing it but you may be able to pop the rubber grommet or seal out and relpace it without disassembly.  Best wait for the manual I guess.  I'm just not that patient. ;D  Sorry about your luck but cheer up the best fishing of the year hasn't arrived yet.  You'll get her out in time. ;D

Skanbow

"Leak from the lover unit" ?
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2004, 07:41 PM »
sounds like a trip to the urologist is in order ........

JackMagnum

« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2004, 09:17 PM »
Camo,
             Good idea about having some extra hands to pitch in and a couple of cases of beer!!!! BUT,do the work on the motor FIRST before cracking open the brew.I had a work party one time and because the beer was opened first it became a disaster.I am with you about waiting for the shop manual,unless someone else knows something about your motor.Good luck

camo_fish

« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2004, 09:42 PM »
JackMag - do you know of a reliable boat mechanic in the area, I thought my buddy read that you had a bad experience with Saratoga Water Works, or someone around Saratoga Lake?

I talked to my dad down in VA and he told me that it shouldn't cost to much to have all the seals replaced by a shop. I'm leaning more to letting someone else who knows what there doing to replace all that stuff.

I tried tonight to get the prop off with my father-in-law and grandfather, and the nut didn't budge, sprayed it with PB blaster and still didn't brake free. Don't want to start banging and forcing thing off.
I think I'm going to leave that up to the professionals, if they brake it, they will have to replace it.

So, again, anyone know a good reliable boat mechanic in the Saratoga area? ??? ?

camo_fish

« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2004, 09:44 PM »
Thanks for all the help but I think I need a boat doctor. If I try and do it myself, I may end up with out any hair left.  ;D

JackMagnum

« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2004, 10:44 PM »
JackMag - do you know of a reliable boat mechanic in the area, I thought my buddy read that you had a bad experience with Saratoga Water Works, or someone around Saratoga Lake?

I talked to my dad down in VA and he told me that it shouldn't cost to much to have all the seals replaced by a shop. I'm leaning more to letting someone else who knows what there doing to replace all that stuff.

I tried tonight to get the prop off with my father-in-law and grandfather, and the nut didn't budge, sprayed it with PB blaster and still didn't brake free. Don't want to start banging and forcing thing off.
I think I'm going to leave that up to the professionals, if they brake it, they will have to replace it.

So, again, anyone know a good reliable boat mechanic in the Saratoga area? ??? ?
Camo,
                        I 've had real bad times with Point Breeze Marina mechanic.I had a boat mechanic drive thru where I live and gave me his number but I have no idea how good he is.He is a mechanic for the Boat works though.If you want I can give you his number.

camo_fish

« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2004, 10:56 PM »
JackMag - that would be great, name and #.

I was looking in the yellow pages and Harbor Boats in clifton park and N. Country marine in scotia were the others that stuck out to me. So Boat works may be ok then, cause there 5 mins from the house..

Hookset & Bartman - you guys have a local boat mechanic???

Bartman44

« Reply #12 on: Aug 30, 2004, 07:20 PM »
Your PM is full so I sent you an Email.

camo_fish

« Reply #13 on: Aug 30, 2004, 10:22 PM »
didn't get it, I just cleaned out my PM now. wow you can only store 15 PMs' oh well.

Bart, can you resend me your info, please.
Thanks  :)

JackMagnum

« Reply #14 on: Aug 31, 2004, 12:01 AM »
didn't get it, I just cleaned out my PM now. wow you can only store 15 PMs' oh well.

Bart, can you resend me your info, please.
Thanks  :)
Camo,
                         I sent the number to your pm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.