FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2 Eat Bass?,...Or Not 2 Eat Bass?...That Is The Question.  (Read 10964 times)

miket.

• hard core
Re: 2 Eat Bass?,...Or Not 2 Eat Bass?...That Is The Question.
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2009, 07:57 AM »
oh great, now i am hungry!!! :clapping:
hard core fanatic!

Superpole

« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2009, 08:03 AM »
Have never thought of the over-harvesting thing.  I don't eat bass because they don't taste as well as the other fish I catch, mainly pike.  Generally only eat pike but will settle for walleye.

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2009, 03:49 PM »
RL,
Do I detect a Weber man?

No Cheesy gas grill for this cook ;D

If you like bass fillets on the grill, try slabbing the large ones into 2" thick steaks. Marinate in lemon or orange juice with garlig and seasonings. Bursh with olive iol and coat with Dijon mustard. Grill them hot and fast......YUM!

Rg

Weber man all the way!! Never a gas grill. Those webers will smoke, grill rotiserrie etc!! I keep a supply of cherry, oak, mesquite, peach, apple and hickory as well as maple handle.

I smoke Bass like a steelhead. Cheap italian dresing, lemon and lime juice, garlic and onion powder, italian seasoning mix, koshar salt and wrights liquid smoke. Marinate 2-3 days. The steelhead comes out tasting like Mahi Mahi!!

Great lookin eats RG!!!
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

salmonrebel

• "YOU HAVE TO KILL IT!...TO GRILL IT!"
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2009, 11:45 PM »
Man!...Am I getting hungry for BASS! lookin at all those tasty lookin pictures!!! ;D
I can't decide now, whether I want to throw them in the fryer!, or on the charcoal grill?! ???.....
Decisions!...Decisions!...Decisions! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  Our 2nd Amendment isn't a priviledge!, IT'S A RIGHT!,... That, "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!".... "WHACK 'EM! AN' STACK 'EM!"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2009, 02:44 AM »
Ahhhhhhhh! Praise the almighty WEBER.

Charcoal grillers unite! We need a WEBER Thread.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

jkoegel

• Born to fish, forced to work.
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2009, 10:50 AM »
I'll subscribe to the charcoal thread, but what if I have a horizontal barrel smoker/grill? Not a weber.

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2009, 12:00 PM »
I'll subscribe to the charcoal thread, but what if I have a horizontal barrel smoker/grill? Not a weber.
The thread is titled WEBER, but any charcoal/wood will do fer sur!!!! ;)
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

salmonrebel

« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2009, 12:57 PM »
Ahhhhhhhh! Praise the almighty WEBER.

Charcoal grillers unite! We need a WEBER Thread.

RG
I think I'm gonna grill 'em! Over some real charcoal and/or hardwood. :-*.....
Seein', that I've fried them all winter long! ;D
  Our 2nd Amendment isn't a priviledge!, IT'S A RIGHT!,... That, "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!".... "WHACK 'EM! AN' STACK 'EM!"

Pajns

• Ya just GOTTA Love it!!!!
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2009, 12:58 PM »
All them Bass you ate during winter you should be outta oil.. :laugh:
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught......JUST remember them being BIGGER!!

salmonrebel

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2009, 05:11 PM »
All them Bass you ate during winter you should be outta oil.. :laugh:
YEP!...My arteries also had one heck of a work out too! :laugh:
It's a wonder I'm still alive! :laugh:

monoline

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2009, 04:25 PM »
I C&R but there are plenty of bass in NY lakes if a person wants to eat them, I usually catch all I want to every time out with plastic salamanders and a carolina or texas rig.

geothefisher

• OPEN WATER!
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2009, 10:06 PM »
I've eaten so many fried fish over the last 45 years, that when I die and am cremated, there is going to be one h**l of a grease fire!!! :w00t:
It doesn't matter if you are trolling, casting, drop-shotting, flipping, pitching or jigging.  Just as long as you are FISHING!!!!   NAFC Life Member

pappabear

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2009, 02:51 PM »
While  I'm not familiar with the large mouth bass in my part of the world but we do have the small mouth bass here and I've always wondered if anyone ate the large mouths? ???.I see a lot of fishing shows that focus on this fish and others as well but have never seen or heard of anyone saying ..........we'll keep this one for lunch !I have heard that the fish are very oily and do not taste all that well ?I can't say that I've ever eaten one and have only heard the negative aspects of these fish as far as flavor .I have always wanted to ask someone from the USA if these were being kept or if it was just a sport fish, seems they are everywhere :o.Hopefully no one will be offended by my insight , just wondering about this for years and seemed this forum might be the place to ask this question ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2009, 04:31 PM »
Largemouth are delicious...from colder water. I'll keep a few in winter and a couple in the early season...if the water is below 65 deg. They're not at all oily and have a tender white meat, similar to striped bass.

They're a warm water specie and tend to get "fishy" tasting and a bit mushy in the warmer months.

I prefer them over smallmouth. I don't keep smallmouth. In the end....I prefer perch or crappie.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.