FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Thoughts  (Read 3379 times)

Mac Attack

Thoughts
« on: Jul 14, 2020, 10:46 PM »
Wasn't sure where I'd post this. And this will be a long read.

Most of you know that Donna and I are getting close to, and seriously contemplating, retirement. Donna has had to work from home for the past several months. she will tell you that this has "enlightened" her and got her thinking.

Then, last week, she went back into the office and had to deal with the "junk". I'll leave this at that.

Me, I absolutely love my job and I work from home..............for the most part. So up until recently I wasn't in any rush to pull the trigger. We have done our do-diligence and saved so we can basically retire when we want, not having to do it when "they" want us to, or worse, having to work late into our lives just to make ends meet.

Anyway, today I worked a jobsite up in northern NY, near Potsdam, at a paper company. Stairs, ladders, MANY times in the day. Many!!!

And it was around 120F; and being a paper plant, it was about 101% humidity.

I'm typing this from my hotel room in Watertown and my clothes are in a ball on the floor and will go home in a plastic bag. Donna will do miracles with them and make them non-hazardous material, but they really should be burned.

I love the heat. Seriously I do; as does Donna. Hence, our decision to move to Florida. But it's getting really tough for me to keep working in it at jobsites like this. In a few days I will turn 64. The guys I was on the jobsite with today were in their 30's and early 40's. I really tried to keep up with them. Really, I did. But today it was finally obvious that I'm not 18-20 anymore.

OK, the meat of this post.

We had an "issue" when the job was complete.

One of the burners started burning backwards into the piping back upstream. Not good. Actually, really bad. We had a fire.

I was outside in one of the guys' SUV answering emails, etc.; and they sent a "runner" to get me. He was quite convincing! lol

I went up a few ladders and stairs again to get up where the burners on this particular oven were, for like the bazzilionth time, and listened to everyone screaming and carrying on.

After listening to them I ascertained that we had a blowback and it was caused by not enough air pressure to the burner.

This story is already too long so I won't bore the "eff" out of you with want happened and why.

But they needed me!

Nobody else, LOCALLY, could have fixed this problem.

Nobody!!!!

It took about 1.5-2 hrs of measurements, thinking, mental calculations and adjustments, but I figured it out and got this paper plant back up into production.

I feel good for this.

I have also taken 800 mg of ibuprofen!!! :)

But the world still need this old piece of nuts.

So for now, Donna and I will contemplate when to pull the trigger.

Tonight, I feel sore but good,

Thanks for reading.
Mac

jperch

Re: Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2020, 11:28 PM »
Nice read, sounds like you did a great job.  A good job provides more than a paycheck.  Old Farts Rule, sometimes!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2020, 02:58 AM »
Thoughts eh?
I'll think about it after I take my morning walk......and after I'm done fishing....or, maybe I'll give it some thought around 3 pm when I'm laying in my hammock under the maple tree with a cocktail.

I'll get back to you later.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2020, 04:18 AM »
I am with RG on this. As you and Donna will have to do, it has to be thought out. Not something you do because on what happens on one day. I am going walleye fishing so will think about it, unless the bite is real HOT....h2l

wallyworld

« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2020, 05:07 AM »
Once you move on to retirement, someone else will become THE one person that can fix the problem  :whistling:  get out of the rat race and enjoy the new lake house and boat  ;) 

filetandrelease

« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2020, 07:10 AM »
Once you move on to retirement, someone else will become THE one person that can fix the problem  :whistling:  get out of the rat race and enjoy the new lake house and boat  ;)
X2 don’t worry they will find someone to carry on its a fact , MAC I’m sure you and the Mrs will make the right decision

bogtrotter

« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2020, 07:12 AM »
While it is gratifying to realize that we "old timers" (I'm 10 years younger than you, but I have 4 kids, so I figure it adds 10 years to my age) are still valuable and productive members of society, I would quote Charles de Gaulle, who once said:

"The cemeteries are full of the graves of indispensable men."

Of course, I've been ready to retire since I was 26 - - but my mean employer hasn't offered me a golden parachute yet.

PikeKing23

« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2020, 07:44 AM »
If you play your cards right, you might be able to get the best of both worlds.  Be an on-call "consultant" (at your discretion, of course).  Send the young guys up and down the stairs and ladders.  You can train and tell them what to do! 8)

BTW-It sounds like you are in the gas industry?  Compressor station maintenance?  I ask because I work in this industry, myself.

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: Jul 15, 2020, 11:57 AM »
If you play your cards right, you might be able to get the best of both worlds.  Be an on-call "consultant" (at your discretion, of course).  Send the young guys up and down the stairs and ladders.  You can train and tell them what to do! 8)

BTW-It sounds like you are in the gas industry?  Compressor station maintenance?  I ask because I work in this industry, myself.

Combustion

Thanks.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Jul 15, 2020, 06:05 PM »
I was just thinking.....I forgot to think about it.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Jul 15, 2020, 06:13 PM »
I think you will know when it's time to retire. The job will not have any redeeming qualities anymore, and you will feel burned out. I am that way after 36 years as a taxidermist. I have to force myself to get into the shop and put in a good 8 to 10 hours. I keep finding other things to do around the house and my other business raising fish. Days and weeks go by where I don't feel like I've gotten much done. There was a time I couldn't wait to work on fish mounts...

Long story short... you'll know.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Jul 15, 2020, 06:56 PM »
Ha!!! “ burned out”

Now that’s appropriate.

Get out before the “blow back” Mac. All I can tell you is, the longer you’re retired, the longer you can enjoy it. We only get about 22,000 days. Take all you can for yourself.

I know I bust your chops a lot, but, I’m serious here.

Bob

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Jul 15, 2020, 11:34 PM »
Would you miss the fulfillment you get from doing your work Mac?  It seems, from what I read you take pride in what you do.  In any event I think you'll both make the right decision and be very happy with it.  I'm watching and listening to all of you here that have retired as its a big goal of mine.  So I'm looking forward to hearing how it works out for you both. Although I thought that new boat of yours would have forced a decision on this!

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #13 on: Jul 16, 2020, 01:11 AM »
Keep working.  The last thing we need to see is pictures your face smiling and holding up big Erie walleyes.  Not to mention the winter pics of your sunburned behind surf fishing in Florida.  Keep working till you drop, your grandson will remember what a hard worker his Pap was........
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

Spider1

« Reply #14 on: Jul 16, 2020, 06:10 AM »
Mac, I'm with you. I'm a couple months away from 59 and seriously thinking of early retirement if they give me a good early out deal. I've spent 43 years in this industry (production machining) and it has changed so much through the years that I can't remember what I loved about it. They have me stuck in quality now in a huge corporation and I seriously want out. Probably won't retire completely but I never really planned to. Maybe I'll sell sea shells by the sea shore or something. I spent last week removing the old railing from my deck (it's a really big deck) and reinsulating my attic. I can barely walk right now. Takes me a few minutes to get going after I stand up, a couple herniated disks from my glory days. Now I gotta pressure wash the deck, stain and seal and build a new railing not to mention sheet rocking the d**n attic. I figure I'll be in a wheelchair by the time I finish. Got me thinking. Maybe I should sell this dump and retire while I can still walk.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.