FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: It wouldn't be a proper Fall... (pics)  (Read 1827 times)

TightLinesMaine

It wouldn't be a proper Fall... (pics)
« on: Oct 16, 2020, 10:54 AM »
...without some Landlocked salmon to start the season!  8) I had a particularly action packed week (2 trips) of fishing; on Columbus day I went 2 for 3 (of course I had to lose the biggest; a BIG salmon broke me off that was in the 4 lbs./22"-24" range, I had 4x fluorocarbon tippet on and I forgot to properly check my knot after landing my first LLS of the day, I should know better too...) and just the other day I went 4 for 5, which I believe is the most I've ever landed in a day on this river; definitely action packed for the short time I was there (just a little over 2 hours).  Didn't land anything definitely over 20", but a few came close to it, and all were over 17" I would say.  Some of the "battles" were quick, a couple of the smaller ones I didn't even bother getting on the reel (I primarily use a 6 wt. for salmon).  The best fight was the fat hen LLS (last picture), she stayed down for a while and took off upstream against my will, I got her on the reel and let her take a few runs as she didn't tire out easily, a strong fish for her size.  But my favorite fish of the bunch was probably the native male LLS; he had great color and a pristine look and was really aggressive/a good fight as well.  The water temperature was 49*F on Columbus day which is why I think they were so active this past week (anywhere from 45*F to 55*F or so seems to be the "money" zone for the LLS streamer bite in my opinion).  This river never ceases to amaze me, I've learned some new things fishing it this Fall, including some new holding spots that i've overlooked in the past...

zwiggles

Re: It wouldn't be a proper Fall... (pics)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2020, 11:10 AM »
Awesome report! I was hoping to see one of these from you again this year, and you always seem to get some nice LLS on the fly 👍

Which one was the native? The one where it’s half submerged?

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2020, 11:17 AM »
Awesome report! I was hoping to see one of these from you again this year, and you always seem to get some nice LLS on the fly 👍

Which one was the native? The one where it’s half submerged?

thanks! I should've clarified, they are all native except one (one of the two males is stocked; evident by the two missing pelvic fins).  I kept all salmon submerged (in my net) in the water while getting the self-timer pics, all but one revived/swam away almost instantly.  I try to be super careful with the hens/females particularly.

zwiggles

« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2020, 01:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply, and right on with the care! That make was my next guess, but I wasn’t sure. You guys have quite a fishery you there!

fish wayniac

« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2020, 03:15 PM »
Randall, Nice salmon! Bummer on the bigger one that snapped your tippet.

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2020, 04:39 PM »
Insane salmon!

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2020, 07:27 PM »
Great fish, Randall! 8)  Glad you got the flows you needed to make it happen!

seamonkey84

« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2020, 07:52 AM »
Awesome season! Man those are some beauts
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

porkpiehat

« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2020, 06:02 PM »
beautiful fishes! Stream landlocks on my bucketlist

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2020, 11:01 PM »
thanks all

PIKE FISHERMAN

• Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based fishing.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2020, 08:44 AM »
Amazing salmon!!!
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

Stickbait

« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2020, 10:36 AM »
Real nice!!

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2020, 12:19 PM »
Thanks for sharing! Neat looking fish. Only ones I've ever caught were out of Namakanta Lake in Piscataquas County and they averaged pretty small.

I still may raise some at some point but will have to skip hatching salmon eggs this fall thanks to issues with COVID19.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.