FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Yikes don't try this at home!  (Read 1888 times)

taxid

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

dirtydeeds

• neckties..contracts...high voltage!
Re: Yikes don't try this at home!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2018, 09:43 PM »
WOW :o thats crazy man, at least they all made it out alive.
done dirt cheap!

Spider1

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2018, 06:11 AM »
yikes is right! Dang they got lucky. But really, what were they doing getting that close to the spill way?! I guess they got lucky that the only thing lost was a boat.

mudchuck

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2018, 07:09 AM »
WOW!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2018, 07:26 AM »
I use to fish there. Not from a boat and not that close this time of year...
I think the last guy held on for 1 1/2 flips of the boat.......     :o
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2018, 07:35 AM »
I hope the boat and motor were salvaged. That motor looked pretty expensive.

What I don't get is that motor had plenty of power to get the hell out of there. Maybe it would't start? Or they had an anchor down and it was hung up?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2018, 08:41 AM »
Wow. Just... wow. Rivers are scary waterways, things can go bad in a hurry. No idea why they were so close, hard to say the circumstances that got them into that situation.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2018, 09:18 AM »
Without seeing what transpired leading up to the video clip, you can't tell if they ended up in that situation due to mechanical problems of operator error.
If mechanical, maybe the boat wasn't checked out thoroughly before launching.
If operator, maybe they shouldn't have been on the water to begin with.

Thankfully they survived.
(It could have ended MUCH worse!)
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

reelrusty

« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2018, 07:21 PM »
 :cursing: Low wall dams are killers!!!

tomturkey

« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2018, 08:57 PM »
I stopped at a local convenience store this morning. A couple of guys were talking about that incident. I told them the only thing I was sad about is what happened to the boat. One said it was his buddy that it happened to. He started making excuses about a big tree coming over the dam and getting into his anchor rope.  I told him that if you are that stupid to fish so close to the dam I guess he got what was coming to him. I walked out with him still trying to make excuses for his buddy.

This is not the first time this has happened there and I am sure it was not the last. You can not fix stupid.

They are talking about taking all of  the small dams out in that section of the Grand making it back into a bunch of rapids. then it will be kayakers that need rescued.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2018, 08:59 PM »
So I guess the cause was definitely operator error!

You know the "friend" was trying to rewrite the event with various "excuses and scenarios" but only succeeded in reaffirming the "operator error" cause!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2018, 01:44 PM »
I stopped at a local convenience store this morning. A couple of guys were talking about that incident. I told them the only thing I was sad about is what happened to the boat. One said it was his buddy that it happened to. He started making excuses about a big tree coming over the dam and getting into his anchor rope.  I told him that if you are that stupid to fish so close to the dam I guess he got what was coming to him. I walked out with him still trying to make excuses for his buddy.

This is not the first time this has happened there and I am sure it was not the last. You can not fix stupid.

They are talking about taking all of  the small dams out in that section of the Grand making it back into a bunch of rapids. then it will be kayakers that need rescued.

Sounds like you've identified the issue...and its not the people.  Those dams are killers and are known as such.  I blame the engineers who designed those.  No horribly designed roller dams, and there wouldnt be a story here.

Shameful to see posts suggesting they did something stupid without having actually been there. 

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Apr 10, 2018, 01:49 PM »
I don't Iowa Accord I can't figure how they could have gone upstream to the dam if they had motor problems. Seems the current would have taken them downstream. I still say they didn't know better and got too close.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.