FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Another downrigger question  (Read 2620 times)

fmm1991

Another downrigger question
« on: Jul 08, 2018, 12:11 PM »
So I have been using the release that came with my cannon manual rigger, but it doesn’t seem to release, usually I pull it up after an hour or two to find an exhausted fish on the line. Do the releases not work well?

taxid

Re: Another downrigger question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2018, 12:28 PM »
Depends on the size of the fish. Some of the cannon releases are too stiff for anything under a certain size.

I prefer a Chamberlain downrigger release as you can set them as light as you want while the vertical part can be set very tight.

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Chamberlain-Downrigger-Release
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

JDK

« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2018, 12:41 PM »
I agree with taxid.  The releases that come with the rigger are pretty rugged. If you don’t jam the line deep in the release and not want the rod really bent, it might work.  You have to set the line in lightly

I use Offshore light planer board releases (yellow) on a wire leader or Chamberlain releases. Both work well.
# SAND

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2018, 01:04 PM »
I use Cannons for both Erie walleye and Ontario salmon without problems.
But, Chamberlains are good releases.

To use the Cannon releases, twist a loop in your line and pinch the pads to the twist.

Then be sure to "cock" the rod by taking up slack and creating a bow in the rod.
The more tight you draw the rod downward toward the cannonball, the less the fish has to pull to release the line from the pinch pads.

Simple.

I've used Chamberlains, rubber bands, Roemers, screw-type pinch pads, and the spring type pinch pads like Cannon sells.
They all work.
I like the Cannon pinch pads for their simplicity.
Especially when I have other guys on the boat.

Apresby11

« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2018, 09:04 PM »
Buy Chamberlains...I had a 4” smelt hit my super duper lure while trolling the other day and it released the line from the Chamberlain no problem.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2018, 07:43 AM »
I use Chamberlain releases for the smaller fish we tend to catch here in the Northeast. You can set them so light that a 3" lake trout will set it off. I am proof, since I caught one this weekend on the rigger that tripped a release. Even so, I have found that it is good practice to check that lure every 20 minutes or so. It's not like leadcore, you can pull, check and reset in about the same time as it takes just to winch in 4 colors of lead.

Maine Trout Whisperer

« Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2018, 10:21 AM »
Those cannon ones are junk.. atleast for fishing in Maine. I had the same issue. Chamberlain release all the way! Get them from North East Troller.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Jul 24, 2018, 11:26 AM »
Fish USA a website sponsor sells them along with the Chamberlin stacker.

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Chamberlain-Downrigger-Release
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fmm1991

« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2018, 01:47 PM »
just wanted to give an update. I purchased the chamberlain release recommended. I caught a 6 inch white perch trolling for browns and it released perfectly. I am quite pleased, now if only I can hook into a target species. 

zwiggles

« Reply #9 on: Aug 08, 2018, 02:01 PM »
just wanted to give an update. I purchased the chamberlain release recommended. I caught a 6 inch white perch trolling for browns and it released perfectly. I am quite pleased, now if only I can hook into a target species.

Nice! My favorite part of the chamberlain releases is I am now confident I’m not dragging a six inch fish around for hours on end. Before I would frequently pop them off and check which equals less time fishing.

stguy

« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2018, 08:45 PM »
I run the Chamberlains and this past Sunday I had one downrigger  that hadn't done anything in an hour so I popped the line out and reeled it all the way to the boat and never knew there was a 26" togue on it until I saw it and it took off back to the bottom. Absolutely nothing wrong with the release it was just swimming along with the boat.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #11 on: Aug 08, 2018, 09:15 PM »
I run the Chamberlains and this past Sunday I had one downrigger  that hadn't done anything in an hour so I popped the line out and reeled it all the way to the boat and never knew there was a 26" togue on it until I saw it and it took off back to the bottom. Absolutely nothing wrong with the release it was just swimming along with the boat.

Had a lot of that this year. I have been losing faith on these chamberlains after switching from the blacks. Seems like I set them too loose and they pop deep with bigger offerings, tighten them up a tad and then drag fish. Having trouble with the sweet spot for some reason.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

stguy

« Reply #12 on: Aug 09, 2018, 05:19 AM »
Had a lot of that this year. I have been losing faith on these chamberlains after switching from the blacks. Seems like I set them too loose and they pop deep with bigger offerings, tighten them up a tad and then drag fish. Having trouble with the sweet spot for some reason.

This guy wouldn't have set any release off, I reeled in 150 feet of line and didn't know it was there until I saw it right next to the boat.

I had a bit of a learning curve with them this year. This is the first year I've really  used live bait and found that I could back them off a little for a lighter strike, but when I went back to hardware the little extra resistance would set them off, so now I know that when I switch I have to tweek them  a little.

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Aug 09, 2018, 06:17 AM »

Long leads?

Don't need this when deep.

Mono, or other stretchy line?

Use a non-stretch line, like braid.  And snap on a 6-8' flouro leader to it.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #14 on: Aug 09, 2018, 06:39 AM »
Mono, fairly long leads at times, deep for here. 

Short leads on some days, others long leads or you don’t catch em. I can’t agree that going deep you don’t need them.

Never had much of an issue last year, and never found an issue with the blacks for a decade. Might be in my head but I found the brass has really discolored and appears corroded and the adjustment isn’t what it used to. Maybe I’ll soak em and clean them.

It’s not a constant problem, but just don’t feel I’m getting the fine tuning they had or people talk about. Maybe it’s my line and leads, but those haven’t changed over time.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.