FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mother got a 30  (Read 2530 times)

stguy

Mother got a 30
« on: Jul 16, 2018, 07:24 AM »
We had a great day Saturday fishing the Standish rod and gun club tournament,  had my wife and my son on board and ended up with 14 on the deck and lost 6 or 8 more.

The highlight of the day was my wife reeling in 20 colors of lead core and a 100 feet or so of backing to get this 30 incher in the boat, yes they were that deep.

Oh yeah, weigh in was at 4:00 and I lost my steering at 2:30 and had to limp from Ramond beach to Harmons beach back to the mooring at a smokin 4.1 on the kicker.

Luckily I had a friend out there that came and picked up my wife and son and delivered them back to the dock with the catch.

JDK

Re: Mother got a 30
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2018, 07:33 AM »
Wow,  700+ feet of line behind the boat is a lot of line.

# SAND

stguy

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2018, 07:49 AM »
Wow,  700+ feet of line behind the boat is a lot of line.

Sure is!!

Disaster is always near, but I have really good luck doing it.

fishlessman

« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2018, 09:18 AM »
nice fish.  i would switch that setup to 45 pound copper. less line drag, less than half as much line out, way better hook sets. still has its own set of problems

stguy

« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2018, 09:35 AM »
nice fish.  i would switch that setup to 45 pound copper. less line drag, less than half as much line out, way better hook sets. still has its own set of problems

I've thought about trying  it, but at this point if I spend any more money on fishing gear I'll be living on my boat.

Oddly enough I don't loose any fish on the lead core rigs, almost all of the fish I've lost are on the down riggers.

caught_the_fever

« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2018, 11:53 AM »
Holy mother!   :D    Great fish!

Doesn't sound like fun on the return trip but at least you had back-up to help make the weigh-in.  Any luck placing?

It is amazing everything that we could spend on this hobby of ours, isn't it?  I've resisted temptation recently, only replacing flies which I've lost or have become too beaten up to resemble anything edible.     

stguy

« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2018, 12:23 PM »
Holy mother!   :D    Great fish!

Doesn't sound like fun on the return trip but at least you had back-up to help make the weigh-in.  Any luck placing?

It is amazing everything that we could spend on this hobby of ours, isn't it?  I've resisted temptation recently, only replacing flies which I've lost or have become too beaten up to resemble anything edible.   

I think we finished 7th out of 34ish boats.

I really like the way they did it, it was the combined weight of the heaviest 5 legal fish per boat.

Yeah my fishing budget was froze when she got on the boat a few weeks ago and counted 34 rod holders, and 4 tackle boxes,"but honey" doesn't work any more.

When are you guys going to come out?

fish wayniac

« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2018, 05:01 PM »
Glen, That is a good day of fishing. Congratz to your wife that Togue is a beauty!

franklin fisher

« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2018, 06:04 PM »
  Congrats on the 7th place finish.  Nice Togue.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2018, 06:23 AM »
Great fish. She must have been happy.

Was the derby winner only like 18 pounds combined for 5 fish? My buddy mentioned it. Was going to fish it, but lost the wheel bearing in my truck and was without wheels on Sat.

At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

stguy

« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2018, 07:05 AM »
Great fish. She must have been happy.

Was the derby winner only like 18 pounds combined for 5 fish? My buddy mentioned it. Was going to fish it, but lost the wheel bearing in my truck and was without wheels on Sat.

Yep, the winner was just shy of 18 pounds.

Everybody struggled to get those heavy legal fish Saturday.

I fished the same spot Friday and caught 3 under 23" that were between 4 and 5 pounds, I thought I had it figured out.

Turnbuckle

« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2018, 10:56 AM »
Yep, the winner was just shy of 18 pounds.

Everybody struggled to get those heavy legal fish Saturday.

I fished the same spot Friday and caught 3 under 23" that were between 4 and 5 pounds, I thought I had it figured out.

I’m catching the smallest togue on average I have ever seen out there in 10-12 years. Throw in a couple 6-8 pounders, but it’s been pretty uneventful.

At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

fishlessman

« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2018, 02:06 PM »
theres too much bait sized salmon in the lake for the big ones to feed on. had a good fish on a few weeks back, lost it near the boat only to find an 8 inch mauled up salmon still on the lure

seamonkey84

« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2018, 04:13 PM »
theres too much bait sized salmon in the lake for the big ones to feed on. had a good fish on a few weeks back, lost it near the boat only to find an 8 inch mauled up salmon still on the lure

Sound like time to troll with swimbaits https://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAGE-GEAR-D-REAL-TROUT/2610106.uts
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #14 on: Jul 17, 2018, 04:59 PM »
Congratulations to your wife. Beautiful fish!   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.