FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Beginner Saltwater Kayaking  (Read 1412 times)

CMD1987

Beginner Saltwater Kayaking
« on: Jul 17, 2018, 03:43 PM »
Hello gents.

I am an experienced freshwater kayaker including on rivers like the Connecticut. I am hoping to try my hand at saltwater fishing in the next month or two. Anyone have a good launch spot for someone to get their feet wet with some easy access and maybe a shot at a few fish? Just looking to gather ideas, no honey holes. Any help would be appreciated.

I think ideally I am looking for help with locations for bottom jigging for flounder/fluke/sea bass. For stripers/blues I’m thinking of trying Joppa one weeknight evening. Any input?

This would be in MA or RI

Thanks again!

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
Re: Beginner Saltwater Kayaking
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2018, 06:10 PM »
Where are you located?

CMD1987

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2018, 06:30 PM »
Worcester county - part of why I was hoping for at least a vague suggestion - it’s about an hour to any coastline -

Eastciderida

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2018, 08:47 PM »
From Worcester also. I usually head down to Rhode Island boat ramp right down the st from Narragansett called monahans lots of black sea bass and fluke around fishing the shorelines. Striper fishing has been rough this year. Just had my second kid so hoping to get out in a week or two that’s always my go to spot if your not getting any bass plenty of jogging to do and keep you busy

Knot there yet

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2018, 09:25 PM »
 You could come down the pike. Winthrop,Revere,Lynn,Salem,Swampscott,Marblehead and or Nahant.
 Surf or Harbor?
Here it’s about parking.
Deer Island and Crystal cove(Winthrop)have parking. Winter island Salem plenty of parking($5) Kernwood River & Liberty st(Danvers)boat launch’s  ($5) Blossom St.(Lynn) Mdc ramp (Nahant).   Salem Willows. Lynch Park (Beverly)($5) for starters
  I fish all around north shore. Plenty of fish plenty of room.
Pm me I’ll meet you.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2018, 08:50 AM »
Where eastsiderida mentioned is a very good spot. There is access all along the southern coast of RI and heading north up along the Narraganset cost all the way to Allens harbor in North Kingstown. There are access points in Jamestown and Newport as well so it depends where you want to fish and what species you really want to target.  I will PM you 2 great spots great for kayak fishing.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2018, 09:28 AM »
Just had my second kid...

Congrats!   :)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2018, 09:37 AM »
Congrats!   :)

Yeah I missed that, Congrats man! We are almost ready to make that leap. Just need to get my baby sitters inline first so I can keep heading in the woods and on the water.

I have not fished with you but I know you ice fished with my close buddy this past season on a weekday.
Wicked Wec

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2018, 11:38 AM »
Outside of phinnys harbor in the west end of the canal is a good spot. You can launch in the pocasset river and paddle out to the mouth and the old Cape cod canal channel is right there. I see many kayakers out there fishing and you get fluke and seabass.  There is a big rock pile with the #7 on it that's the area. Try to fish in the old channel as its 25-30ft.

CMD1987

« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2018, 08:11 PM »
Wow. Thanks for all the amazing input guys. Multiple responses both public and private. I am going to make a list of the spots everyone suggested and start trying them out.

I can’t thank everyone enough for their help and kind suggestions.

If I manage to start jigging up dinner I will post here as a thanks. But I also promise not to spot burn anyone in anyway.

Thanks again everyone. I’m extremely grateful for the responses.

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Jul 18, 2018, 08:56 PM »
Good luck and be safe.  Don't forget the pfd.

CMD1987

« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2018, 09:44 PM »
Safety is definitely the name of the game this time around. Safety - exploration - jigging. In that order. Thanks 🙏

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.