FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit out sponsor FishUSA.com

Author Topic: GOODBYE PECKS  (Read 5699 times)

saphireblue99

GOODBYE PECKS
« on: Mar 21, 2016, 10:16 PM »
ONE OF MY FAVORITE PLACES TO FISH BY BOAT AND ON ICE IS PECKS POND,BY BOAT MAINLY BECAUSE AFTER MEMORIAL DAY NO ONE FISHES IT, MEGA, MEGA  WEEDS. THEY SPRAYED LAST YEAR IN LOWER SECTION WHICH CLEARED UP SOME WATER, BUT ALAS IT WILL BE DRAINED THIS FALL FOR A 2-3 YEAR DAM REPLACEMENT PROJECT. WHICH MEANS PROBABLY A GOOD TEN YEARS TO GET BACK TO ANYTHING NEAR A DECENT FISHERY AGAIN. FAIRWELL MY FRIEND

saphireblue99

Re: GOODBYE PECKS
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2016, 09:00 PM »
oh yeah and if anyone is interested, there is no size restriction there, you can keep whatever you catch

Thor

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2016, 10:30 AM »
There is a lake in my area (Sweet Arrow Lake) near Pine Grove that was drained about ten years ago.  It never really set the world on fire before it was drained, but guys who knew how to fish the lake could do okay on decent-sized crappies.  Ever since it was refilled, the crappie population is good, but the average size is terrible.

Interestingly, I read in my local paper last weekend that there is going to be a crappie tournament on the lake in a few weeks.  The LIGHTEST average weight wins.  They must be desperate to get rid of some of the dinks to help improve the size of the fish.

Hopefully, Pecks Pond won't suffer this same fate.

Imbit

« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2018, 04:53 PM »
There is a lake in my area (Sweet Arrow Lake) near Pine Grove that was drained about ten years ago.  It never really set the world on fire before it was drained, but guys who knew how to fish the lake could do okay on decent-sized crappies.  Ever since it was refilled, the crappie population is good, but the average size is terrible.

Interestingly, I read in my local paper last weekend that there is going to be a crappie tournament on the lake in a few weeks.  The LIGHTEST average weight wins.  They must be desperate to get rid of some of the dinks to help improve the size of the fish.

Hopefully, Pecks Pond won't suffer this same fate.

Yep - when I lived in Lebanon  area, I used to fish Sweet Arrow lake alot.   One of the best LMB lakes in that area ... got my all time best PA largemouth on a grass frog bait in a patch of isolated lilly pads way out from shore - prolly close to 5# ... that was long before they drained it.    Wouldn't mind taking a road trip back there one day to see how different it is now that it's been close to 15 yrs since the dam replacement & refill.   

supervdl

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2019, 06:46 AM »
The dam repair at Peck's Pond will be finally start this year. Mark you calendar - in 2030 we can all go and fish it since it takes 10 years for it to finally come back. See Gouldsboro Lake Brady etc. Lake Minsi is another one they have to repair. Curious when that starts and if it comes back faster since it is at a lower elevation and may be different water.

Spider1

« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2019, 05:27 AM »
I haven't been there since before they drained it. Are there any areas with water still or is it all mud? If there are areas with enough water to hold fish there might be some good brood stock in there to kick start it when it fills again. How long it will take otherwise all depends on how it's managed. It won't take as long if they want it to be a bass lake, perch proliferate also but crappie take a looong time to rebound.

supervdl

« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2019, 07:08 AM »
With the wet weather we had last year there was water standing in there but I don't think it was deep enough or all the time to hold decent amount of fish. Not sure though..

Imbit

« Reply #7 on: Jul 13, 2020, 06:31 AM »
Haven't been by Pecks since they drained it ... anybody know if they have refilled it yet or if there are any plans to do so ?

Same for Minsi - curious if anybody has any intel on the dam repairs & if / when it'll be filled.

Boy, us Pocono bassers sure have taken a hit - losing 2 of our best LMB, pickerel lakes  :-(

Thanks

John

supervdl

« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2020, 11:16 AM »
both have been filled this summer and will be stocked with warmwater fish over the next few years.

Spider1

« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2020, 05:44 AM »
yup. Pecks is complete, they are stocking with bass, crappie, perch, gills and baitfish. They will also be treating it for aquatic vegetation. It will be catch and release only for a while.

supervdl

« Reply #10 on: Aug 13, 2020, 08:01 AM »
Same for Minsi plus trout stocking. They put a lot of structure into Minsi like rock piles, wooden sticks and cribs. Give it some time but it should come back nicely.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.