FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Water Wolf's adventures - Pike patrol <*})))>{  (Read 9647 times)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
Water Wolf's adventures - Pike patrol <*})))>{
« on: Jun 11, 2007, 02:45 PM »
 My partners and I did some fishing this Sunday {June 10th}.

We started our adventure in the afternoon, from 3:30pm until 6:30pm.

There was a fair amount of fishing going on at the little lake and it seemed that everyone was catching. Most of the fishing was from shore for both pike and walleye.

My partners and I had a boat so we set up and started trolling. Within 3 min I had a pike on and pike off.
The fishing action was fair, with a fish biting every roughly every 20 min. :)

At the end of the day I landed 5 pike, partner #1 landed 1 and partner number two landed one and lost 3.

Here is the catch. :)
My 5 are on the string, my partners are above them.

It's interesting how much pike from the same lake can vary in coloration, both on the body and on the fins. No two are exactly alike. 8)

I also landed the largest pike of the day. ;D

It was 5lbs.

The hot lures today were the smaller Storm wildeyes and single tale Mr.Twisters.

WW

Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

kappy

Re: Water Wolf's adventures - Pike patrol <*})))>{
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2007, 03:20 PM »
good looking fish,,, it is weird the coloration of each fish,,  how do you
cook your pike?  get a few good fillets out of them,, gotta love that picture of Rocky
my favorite,, yours too I see,,   nice job  again  kappy

pike hound

« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2007, 03:28 PM »
Looks like a good day! Just out of curosity, what are the size limits and catch limits on pike there? Here in most Michigan lakes it's 24" and 2 pike. Here it seems like I either catch one big one or a bunch of 12" to 22 inchers, never had a bunch of good ones in a day. Heck of a job!

Pigshanks

• Who stopped payment on my reality check?
« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2007, 03:43 PM »
Nice pics. Way to go!!!

ALBERTA  REPORT A POACHER  1-800-642-3800 or #3800 on the TELUS Mobility network (Courtesy of TELUS Mobility)

csavage1

« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2007, 04:13 PM »
Nice job on the pike WaterWolf,   Have you ever tried baked pike with potato chips and mozzarella cheese if not you should it is awesome.
They don't start to bite until you get there and they don't quit until you leave.

kappy

« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2007, 09:41 AM »
csavage     that sound good, how do you actually do it  thanks

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2007, 11:06 AM »
Awsome job on the essox. I notice you keep a lot of them, how do you manage to eat them all yourself, or does your family help you?

Fishing is life

MIRC!

Gamedog

• If it swims,walks or flies, it dies!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2007, 11:14 AM »
Good job WaterWolf. Looks yummy ;D

Water Wolf

« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2007, 01:37 PM »
Thanks guys. :)

Thanks Kappy, yeah Rocky was an old water wolf himself.
He loved the water was a pretty good game retriever with out hardly any training.
He was also good natured and didn't mind when I put items on him like the glasses. :laugh:

Pike hound.
Fish limits and possesion lengh can very on some lakes in Sask. but the general angling limit is 6 pike, one of which can not exceed 29.5 inches.

The pike were divided when we got home partner #2 took a few and partner #1 and I are from the same family so we just split the rest amongst our family. Everyone enjoys a fresh feed of fish from time to time. My partners family and my family and I really enjoy the pike more than the other fish. Especially my uncle and Granny. :)

Burbot would be tied with pike forsure. They to are on the top of our favorite eating fish list.
They don't really look it but they are great, just like the cod in fish and chips. In some areas it may be burbot you are eating in the restaurant.

We usually have a family fish fry, the fish are usually done on a pan with some lite butter rolled in flower mixture or shake and bake. 
Tasty taters or a baked potato is also added to the plates.
On occasion we barbecue the pike fillets.

I would also like to try deep frying them along with csavage's potatochips and mozzarella cheese dish. 8)

WW

csavage1

« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2007, 04:26 PM »
csavage     that sound good, how do you actually do it  thanks
Breading as in fish crisp or bread crumbs and add potato chips to the mix.Put in glass pan ,sprinkle mozz cheese over the top and bake at 350 for at least 1hr or until it gets crisp.YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM :D :D
They don't start to bite until you get there and they don't quit until you leave.

Water Wolf

Re: Water Wolf's adventures - Testing new waters.
« Reply #10 on: Jun 18, 2007, 03:03 PM »
My partner and I went fishing Sat June 16th for most of the afternoon.

We arrived at the lake I have fished at the last couple of times and thought I would try it for a while.

The wild roses are in full bloom right now.

And there are pollinators amongst them.

The lake was like glass.

I fished in that area for about an hour. Fellow anglers from shore and in the boat both said they had not caught a fish all morning, not a good sign so we packed up and headed for a reservoir I have been meaning to try but never have.

This is my destination, Whitesand Reservoir,{thats me on the dock}. :)

There were quite a few anglers out today in this area, both human and bird alike.
These pelicans are done fishing for a while. :)

Loons and king fishers were also about, but too fast for the camera.

In the trees at the top of the hill there is a monument.

Here is the inscription on it.

It is a solemn reminder for everyone to be safe around the water.

My partner and I set up and started fishing.
In two casts my partner had on a junior pike, it went back.
Ten min. later I hooked a pike, this one is a good eater.
My partner and I get nibbles all afternoon from tiny 3 to 6 inch perch and walleye. Our lures were too big for the little nippers.
That reserivor is teaming with tiny fish life, in the fry to fingerling size.
Half an hour before we leave I hook into another pike, here is the results from that area. 8)

There were a lot of shore anglers in that area and it seemed we were doing better than the folks in the boats. We were getting 2 or 3 fish and the boat anglers were comming back with 1 or 2.
I feel they may have been fishing too deep, my partner and I were catching them in 2-3 feet of water and that is were I saw a lot of little fish jumping and boils from larger fish.

We then thought we would explore the reservoir for new fishing locations. I found one, where the river flows into the reservoir.
I decided to try it for 10 min or so.

As I approached I saw what must have been a 3 - 4 lb walleye shoot from the shoreline into deeper water.
At least there is one fish around.;)

As I was fishing I saw a boil close to shore and cast just beyond it, as I went by the spot I had a hit.
This was the culprit. :laugh:

It was also released.

On that positive note we decided to go for supper. We stopped at Queens Hotel in Sheho, for a nice steak and chicken supper. I would defiantely recommend this place to anyone.  :thumbup_smilie:
Sheho is roughly 45 min or so West of Yorkton.

Sheho is the native word for prairie chicken.

Further down the highway we see some whitetail deer, outstanding in there field.

Along the trip home we find an entire herd of cows had broken out and were walking down the road, they then crossed into the farmers wheat field. ::)

Father's day was a downpore all day long so no fishing that day!  I was hoping to take my uncle fishing to the reservoir.
I took him to Sheho for steak instead. ;D

I hope to return to this new found reservoir again sometime this summer. :w00t:

WW

Bartman44

« Reply #11 on: Jun 18, 2007, 04:06 PM »
Great pics and story. Like the chicken pic.  Looks like you have numerous places to go where you are.

Water Wolf

« Reply #12 on: Jun 22, 2007, 02:03 PM »
Thanks Bartman.

Yeah there are a number of fishable lakes that is relatively close by. :)

WW

Water Wolf

Re: Water Wolf's adventures - A few fishin trips <*})))>{
« Reply #13 on: Jul 05, 2007, 02:06 AM »
I have been fishing 3 times since my lasts set of photos.

The first trip was last Wed. June 27th.
My Uncle has only been fishing a few times in his life and he thought he would like to try it again.
We set off for some afternoon fishing and I guided him to the spots where I have been catching. In our first spot I found a hammer handle pike on the second cast, back it went.
We fished throughout the afternoon and in the end the hammer handle pike would be my only action. My uncle, on the other hand, followed my lure choices and casting instructions and landed himself  2 eater pike and a walleye. :)

Pike #1 was 2.8lbs, pike #2 was 3.9lbs and the walleye was 3.4lbs

Trip 2 was on the 2nd of July. Again my uncle and I fished for the afternoon, but this time I would take him to the Whitesand Reservoir.

It didn't take long before I was into fish.  Schools of yellow perch swam parallel to the shoreline. All I had to do was flip my tiny barbless circle hook and chunk of worm in front of them and wait for the mad scramble and the hit.
I hooked a dozen of them in short order, but the smaller perch were getting to the lure before the big ones{8 - 10"} even had a chance. ::)
This guy was the average for that area.;D

As soon as the clouds rolled in, the perch action stopped.  I switched to the pike and walleye gear. All the while my uncle was fishing with his favorite choice of spoon.

Halfway through our afternoon I land a pike. :)

My uncle lands a pickerel rig. :laugh:

I then land a crayfish.  It grabbed the lure and came along for the ride. It also went back.

As we were almost ready to leave, my uncle lands a walleye.

The pike and walleye were both 2.3lbs.

The 3rd trip was Tuesday July 3rd.
Again my uncle and I are off to the reservoir, but this time we move to the deep waters near the dam area. We fish most of the afternoon with nothing more than a few taps from perch.  Fellow anglers did not fair any better and everyone left fishless.

I snapped a photo of some anglers who had better luck than us.

At around 8:00 pm we packed up and headed for the lake we usually fish at. This proved to be a good choice. We fished this area from 9:00pm to 10:10pm. Soon after arriving I landed and released a junior walleye. My uncle then hooks a junior pike. He then proceeds to catch another walleye and not a bad pike.

Here is my uncle with his 1.5 lb walleye and his 5.6lb pike. 8)

All but one of my uncles fish were landed on spoons.
I caught my fish using storm swimbaits, the G-grub and double tails and worms.

I think my uncle is now hooked on fishing. ;D

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #14 on: Jul 06, 2007, 02:12 PM »
My uncle and I went fishing yesterday afternoon/evening {over +27 deg C/+80.6 deg F}.  It was a very calm day with only a slight breeze. Fellow anglers joined us off and on during the day and we chatted away while we waited for a bite. There were hits off and on but they were not really ready to feed at that time.

The fishing started off a bit slow in the heat but as the sun dropped lower and lower in the sky the fish turned on.  In the end my uncle landed 10 fish, 2 pike and 8 walleye most of them went back. I landed 1 walleye and two little pike.

This is my walleye, and the big one of the night at 4.3lbs. This chunky walleye was a foot thick. :)

Here my uncle shows the ones that came home with us.

On the left the 3.2 lb walleye and 2.6 lb pike and on the right the 2.1 lb walleye and the 4.3 lber.

The one walleye had a 3 inch pike sticking out it's throat and still it wanted one more mouthful. ::)

All the fish were taken on spoons.

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.