FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Whitefish on the fly...  (Read 3736 times)

ULTRAlite

• 24" Bowz or Bust...

Neptune

Re: Whitefish on the fly...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2007, 08:36 AM »
Nice little Lake Superior Whitefish man!

ULTRAlite

• 24" Bowz or Bust...
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2007, 09:28 AM »
Thanks - It is a lake whitefish - but caught on the bow river just below Ghost Dam.  Not what I was expecting while pulling him in, but a great fight none the less.  Really good runs and some tail walking.  A great challenge for a new guy on the fly.  :D

Neptune

« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2007, 12:09 PM »
Whiteys can be quite the battle...I catch them in Flathead Lake and in the Flathead River in the Fall/Winter when they come up stream to spawn...

I have caught them as big a 4lbs and they get much bigger....I've had them straighten hooks, break 12lb test line on a run, all the battle related crud.... 

They are great Fun!

Good Fishing!

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2008, 05:51 PM »
whitefish, the poor man's bonefish. gotta love 'em.

meadowpikeman

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 02:17 PM »
neptune what do you catch them on during the spawn?? we get a good run of jumbos (5-7lbs) just half an hour from my house but never catch very many as they seem negative most of the time
"Fame doesn't take away the pain, it just pays the bills. You end up on alcohol and Pills"-Fred Eaglesmith

Neptune

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 09:36 AM »
neptune what do you catch them on during the spawn?? we get a good run of jumbos (5-7lbs) just half an hour from my house but never catch very many as they seem negative most of the time

Well I fish from a bridge that goes over the Flathead river and jig 1/2oz to 3/4oz leadhead jigs with micro tubes or micro craw power bait in dark green to chartruese.  I add a couple maggots for taste!.

I bounce the jig off the bottom about once every three seconds and just wait for the super light "tap" and then set the  hook....it is very challenging!

Good Luck if you try it out this fall....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.